Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom Field

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Just seeing these exchanges during the Euros with an under-16s coach at Charlton Athletic called Anthony Hayes. I'm guessing Hayes is Irish, based on his tweets.

These were tweeted before England's game against Wales:

And these were tweeted before/during our game against France:

That last tweet would seem to suggest Field has his future sights set on Ward's place, or is definitely very much open to donning the green at senior level at least.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Any evidence to support your assertion that O'Dowda plays at left back? When has he played there? I've never heard of it before, but great to hear of it now if true.
    According to football-lineups - http://www.football-lineups.com/footballer/81878/ - he's played all across the middle of the park, and up front, but no mention of him in defence
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I must have completely imagined it so.

I used to frequent an Oxford forum to track Patrick Hoban's progress. I could have sworn he played left full in a couple of games, but obviously not.

As for Tom Field, it looks like he's playing the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Re: Field supporting Ireland during their Euro games, you would be hard pressed to find a Briton who didn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Obviously, from our perspective, the most significant/interesting tweet above is the one where Field positively agrees that Stephen Ward's presence in the first-team as our only out-and-out left-back should give him a bit of hope for the future. I think it's pretty clear they're discussing a potential international future with Ireland given the flag, shamrock (or four-leaved clover even) and context.

Why completely ignore that?
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 17/02/2017 at 2:03 AM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Re: Field supporting Ireland during their Euro games, you would be hard pressed to find a Briton who didn't.
    Even by your standards that's some stretch to spin it negatively.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    How is that spinning it negatively?

I have worked with Rangers fans who supported ROI over their opposition in the Euros.

Just like lots of us rooted for NI over their opposition in the Euros.

If England weren't there we would probably be most people's second team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Butter wouldn't melt...

C'mon, you know exactly what you're doing. Drop the act and don't play dumb.

The guy has played for us at under-age level, has voluntarily expressed support for us at the Euros and has also positively indicated that he has ambition or intent in terms of making our left-back slot his own, yet you ignore and degrade all that by pretty much saying, "Ah, sure he's British so he'd lend us some secondary support anyway."

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Butter wouldn't melt...

C'mon, you know exactly what you're doing. Drop the act and don't play dumb.

The guy has played for us at under-age level, has voluntarily expressed support for us at the Euros and has also positively indicated that he has ambition or intent in terms of making our left-back slot his own, yet you ignore and degrade all that by pretty much saying, "Ah, sure he's British so he'd lend us some secondary support anyway."
    There's no need for that.

He also expressed his support for England on Twitter before his "Ireland to win" tweet. I am merely taking that into account.

It's hard to know if you are serious sometimes.

It was a person called Anthony Hayes who made reference to Stephen Ward, not Tom Field.

You do know that, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    He also expressed his support for England on Twitter before his "Ireland to win" tweet. I am merely taking that into account.
    He was born and raised in England. Hardly a surprise he might support England too. It doesn't negate his positive sentiment for Ireland or his apparent interest in playing for us at senior level.

It was a person called Anthony Hayes who made reference to Stephen Ward, not Tom Field.

You do know that, right?
    Yeah, and Field responded in agreement unambiguously that, "definitely", Stephen Ward gives him a bit of hope for the future. What do you think Field is talking about in that final tweet? He even added a shamrock, just in case it wasn't obvious enough. I see no reason to think that Field would turn down an invitation to join our squad if he was offered one. I think the signs look pretty good from our perspective and he's someone who could provide strength in depth in what has been a long-term problem-position for us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Been quite a rise for field. Brentford paid about 2million for a 19 year old left full from walsall in the summer and brought in another left full on loan from leicester in the summer when he got injured. Field has taken his chance but 2 19 year old left fulls into one will not go

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    He was born and raised in England. Hardly a surprise he might support England too. It doesn't negate his positive sentiment for Ireland or his apparent interest in playing for us at senior level.

Yeah, and Field responded in agreement unambiguously that, "definitely", Stephen Ward gives him a bit of hope for the future. What do you think Field is talking about in that final tweet? He even added a shamrock, just in case it wasn't obvious enough. I see no reason to think that Field would turn down an invitation to join our squad if he was offered one. I think the signs look pretty good from our perspective and he's someone who could provide strength in depth in what has been a long-term problem-position for us.
    Hardly a surprise he might harbor aspirations of playing for England as he continues to ascend the ladder. Who knows? I don't know. You don't know. He hasn't played for Ireland since U-16's. You're not going to get anything concrete from an exchange of banter in 140 character tweets unless you are looking for it. The strongest sentiment seems to be coming from Hayes, not Field. But, hey, maybe that's just me.

He added a shamrock, did he?! He's in the bag so.

If you look into Jack Grealish's tweeting history, he had countless similar exchanges with Irish fans. And he, and his father, have gone on to talk about how he always supported and wanted to play for England. So, I won't read too much into it until something more concrete happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I seen Liam Kelly making similar tweets about supporting England on Twitter and I said I wouldn't post about it here because a) it's Twitter and b) I don't want to open up a can of worms, but since someone else brought up Field's tweets I thought I'd chime in about Field specifically.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    FFS. How are we arguing over this again. Nobody knows his intentions, but statistically, more non Irish born players capped Underage for Ireland, end up staying with Ireland. Can we park any talk of players changing association until it actually happens.

Tets, can we get a warning system on it. If anyone speculates on Irish Underage players playing for another association, 1 week ban. It's pointless and tiresome.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    It wasn't me that even brought the subject up!

I have already said umpteen times that players who have Irish first names or Irish last names shouldn't be talked about until it's clear that they are eligible or even have Irish blood.

And if I had my own way, there would be a moratorium on Bamford and Hogan until their Intl situation is cleared up.

The person speculating on his intentions is/was Danny and I'm going to hazard a guess that it's not him you want a 1 week ban levied on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    He added a shamrock, did he?! He's in the bag so.
    Strawman. I haven't said anything as definitive as that. I've said he's given a clear signal of interest, which I think looks good from our perspective. It's obviously more promising than apathy or ambiguity.

It wasn't me that even brought the subject up!

The person speculating on his intentions is/was Danny and I'm going to hazard a guess that it's not him you want a 1 week ban levied on.
    Hmm, see post #31 (before I ever posted in this thread): http://foot.ie/threads/213819-Tom-Fi...=1#post1907112

In that post, you said:

I concur.

O'Dowda plays there and Ward still has two campaigns in him.

Field is miles away from a call up, if he even wants one.
    Anyway, numerous other posters have also, like myself, been wondering what level of interest Field may have in potentially representing us at senior level. I don't think there's much wrong with that personally; being an Ireland fan makes me naturally curious about potential or future players. I had a look for what liamoo11 was referring to on Twitter and thought the exchanges I posted above may be significant towards helping to form some sort of impression as to where Field may stand on the matter. (If tets wants to ban such discussion, so be it; he can dictate that.) Either way, you're discussing it with me now even though you've previously repeatedly claimed you're ignoring me. Take responsibility for your posts.

I have already said umpteen times that players who have Irish first names or Irish last names shouldn't be talked about until it's clear that they are eligible or even have Irish blood.
    Well, seeing as Field has represented us a few times at under-16 level, it appears he does indeed have Irish blood and is eligible.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I'm not an arbitror of anything and I don't think Danny or anyone is making sense in this thread.
    We have a player, Tom Field, who has represented 1 country Underage. Ireland. Hence he has a thread in here. Let's discuss his progress.

Now should a quote from Southgate or the player himself or his family come out about him representing England, boom, discussion.

Similarly, your Hogans, Stearmans, Chambers, until they are named in a squad, they get discussed in the eligibility thread. (hogan was named in a squad sorry)

Towk, this has nothing to do with you, or Danny. It's about not reading the same discussion ad finite. This situation is not unique.

A tiny part of me hates when I Google "James McCarthy", one of the first results is the stupidness that was in his thread and I don't want the same for other players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I've said he's given a clear signal of interest
    Anthony Hayes? I agree.

Either way, you're discussing it with me now even though you've previously repeatedly claim you're ignoring me. Take responsibility for your posts.
    When Tets reprimanded us and told us to ignore each other, I was the only one who did so. You would do so for a week or two and then you would gradually start replying to my posts again after the smoke had cleared. I've decided to start engaging with you again. I'd have no problem doing so to begin with if you weren't so patronising and rude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Anthony Hayes? I agree.
    What do you think Field's "definitely" was in reference to?

I've decided to start engaging with you again.
    Fine. I'm always happy to engage. Feel free to answer the question above so. Or even here.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts

I have worked with Rangers fans who supported ROI over their opposition in the Euros.

Just like lots of us rooted for NI over their opposition in the Euros.

If England weren't there we would probably be most people's second team.
    you get all hot under the collar when Grealish tweets support for England. You dismiss Field when he tweets support for Ireland. It's hard to win when you're the interpreter. Few of us know anything about this guy or Conor Ronan so the least said about either's international intentions the better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast