Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do we go from here?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Can't see anything other than a thumping on Saturday and being outnumbered 3/1 by away fans. Sad times.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I think Galway Utd from 2011 have the record for the least points in a season.. I cant remember the exact stats but I think their GD was brutal far worse than ours and they only won one game all season! maybe the Galway lads will confirm this for me pls?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Galway conceded well over 100 goals that season - and won their only game early on too.

Kilkenny in the late 90s had an awful season too. 9 points all told. (And let's not forget their 2-point season earlier in the decade)

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    If we are to double our points total between now and seasons end, what do the stats of previous years look like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Galway conceded well over 100 goals that season - and won their only game early on too.

Kilkenny in the late 90s had an awful season too. 9 points all told. (And let's not forget their 2-point season earlier in the decade)
    how many points did Galway get in the end Pineapple?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    If we are to double our points total between now and seasons end, what do the stats of previous years look like?
    You are worse off points-wise than we were after 19 games in 2014. We had 11 points, but were 6 points behind the team above us.

We finished the season on 22 points, with UCD above us on 25 and Bray on 26.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

9. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    how many points did Galway get in the end Pineapple?
    Six.

So Kilkenny are ye're next targets.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atfconline View Post
    You are worse off points-wise than we were after 19 games in 2014. We had 11 points, but were 6 points behind the team above us.

We finished the season on 22 points, with UCD above us on 25 and Bray on 26.
    Wexford have a game in hand and given how poor pats have been and if they are still in Europe come then their mind maybe elsewhere so wouldn't surprise me to see Wexford pick up a point. Lose on Saturday we are as good as officially gone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    In fairness in 2011 we basically had a junior team (4-5 local pro players aside) out fulfilling our fixtures from June on. GUST were left to pick up the pieces and only for them the club would have folded during the year.

We had a decent first four games that year, lost 3-0 to Pats, lost 3-2 to Dundalk, drew 0-0 with UCD, and beat Bohs 1-0. We went on to lose 35 out of the next 36 matches, including Cockhill Celtic in the EA Sports Cup, Dundalk in the FAI Cup and both play-off matches to Monaghan. We also conceded 115 league goals and ended up with a GD of -95.

At least Longford's situation is rectifiable.
    Last edited by gufc2000; 18/07/2016 at 8:58 PM.

14. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    The Town's first season on the league was quite depressing. This one is up there with it though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Tonight Cousins said if we don't win our next 2 games we are realistically relegated. If we lose on Saturday he should be sacked there and then. You can't keep coming out with comments like that and expect there to be no consequences. Will the club have the b@lls to do it tho? Doubt it.

17. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Ltfc v Sligo
    That was the best I've seen us play for a while, I thought the midfield did a great defensive job in stopping Sligo creating very much at all, and also protecting the back 4,
    on Sligo's 2nd goal I thought Coulter should have reset the wall after the ref moved it back to the 10 yards, I couldn't believe he didn't (the angle had completely changed) not sure about him at all, but it was the first time I've seen him play,
    I don't normally think much of Powell but I thought it was his best game for a long time
    again we fought back from going behind
    I would start the same midfield against Galway to stop them as most of their play goes through the middle
    a well earned point but I felt we could have won

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Really happy leaving the ground for once last night, a hard fought display but yes we should have won against a very poor Sligo team. Back 4 and goalkeeper still leaking easy goals. I couldn't believe coulter didn't reset the wall either it was all over the place. He never opened his mouth once all night or came off his line, the Sligo fans i was standing next to were laughing at us for signing him in the first place. Cousins obvuisly realises the mistake he's made as he tried to sign Barry Murphy from Rovers last week but Murphy didn't want to travel to Longford according to TC on Shannonside. If we can stop leaking silly goals we can turn this around as we have the strikers to do it, although I do think Sully should be starting we look a far better team with him on the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Cousins obvuisly realises the mistake he's made as he tried to sign Barry Murphy from Rovers last week but Murphy didn't want to travel to Longford according to TC on Shannonside. If we can stop leaking silly goals we can turn this around as we have the strikers to do it, although I do think Sully should be starting we look a far better team with him on the pitch.
    i cant kept up with cousins any more tbh.. If Barry Murphy had signed would Coulter have left? Also I am surprised to see Mark Hughes playin last nite. did his transfer to St Mochtas fall thro?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    i cant kept up with cousins any more tbh.. If Barry Murphy had signed would Coulter have left? Also I am surprised to see Mark Hughes playin last nite. did his transfer to St Mochtas fall thro?
    few can Martinho,
    Cousins was on the radio saying Hughes was outstanding and that if he believed in himself more Cousins thinks he could be the best midfielder in the league, well lets hope Cousins is finally right about something, we definitely need good midfielders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Different Marc Hughes Marty. Hughes was excellent last night, shows the decision to play him RB all season was madness. Cousins just stumbling on tactics as he goes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Different Marc Hughes Marty. Hughes was excellent last night, shows the decision to play him RB all season was madness. Cousins just stumbling on tactics as he goes
    so whos this Marc Hughes then?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Are the new lads showing any signs of promise? A goal won't do any harm for Dsane anyway.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Are the new lads showing any signs of promise? A goal won't do any harm for Dsane anyway.
    Coulter is fu(King sh1te. Yann was at fault for the first goal but grew in confidence as the game went on. Dsane runs about and I'm sure il be slammed for saying this but he doesn't look up to much, maybe Hel develop into a good player and I hope he does but technically sully and Duffy are better players.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Sully technically better?? Sully's first touch is woeful and the only time he looks threatening is when he's played in over the top.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast