Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Brexit - The End of the United Kingdom?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 2,100 Posts
    "Vote Leave Campaign Chief Dominic Cummings Admits Leaving The EU Could ‘Be An Error’": http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b02734df33fbc0

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Bennett
    The brains behind the Brexit vote has admitted it might be possible that leaving the EU “will be an error” and the referendum itself was a “dumb idea”.

Dominic Cummings, the campaign director for the official Vote Leave campaign, claimed “other things should have been tried first” before the referendum was called - suggesting he would have backed further attempts at reform.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Dya ever get the feeling that the more they delve into this now that the discussions are now on that they may balk at the whole thing and go "Soz bbz... can I haz EU back thx!"
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 1,693 Posts
    I missed this the last day:

Quote Originally Posted by The Grauniad
    Verhofstad also suggested that after the UK exits the EU those with Irish passports in Northern Ireland should be allowed to vote in European elections across the border.

Verhofstad said the number of European seats could be increased from the current 11 to allow for Northern Irish voters to still exercise some influence in the EU as part of any post-Brexit deal.

The Democratic Unionists in turn said it would use its parliamentary muscle to force the government to block any moves allowing for Northern Ireland voters to elect MEPs in the Irish Republic.

DUP MP Sir Jeffrey Donaldson told the Guardian there was “no chance” his party would accept such an arrangement after Brexit.

Donaldson said the 10 DUP MPs at Westminster who currently shore up the minority Conservative government would insist to the prime minister that Verhostad’s proposal be rejected out of hand in Brexit negotiations.

“His idea would be a breach of the Good Friday agreement which keeps all constitutional change within strand one of that agreement, namely only within Northern Ireland.

“This idea would also upset the delicate constitutional balance we have worked out here and would endanger the peace process,” the Lagan Valley MP added.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...histle-remarks
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 2,100 Posts
    In what way would Verhofstad's proposal to allow northern EU citizens to vote for representative MEPs contravene the GFA (as claimed by Jeffrey Donaldson)? Permitting northern EU citizens a vote wouldn't have to necessitate constitutional change, would it? If anything, it might somewhat ameliorate nationalist fears and disgruntlement. It's also exceptionally rich to hear a Brexit supporter warning of endangerment to the peace process. Irony is dead.

I doubt parties that operate only south of the border would be too keen on Verhofstad's idea either as Sinn Féin would most likely stand to take all northern seats on offer if there was to be a unionist boycott.

I think it'd be a positive move. If unionists want to be intransigent and opt out of things like that, let them. Their loss. As progressive unionist Sophie Long warned, they're only going to get left behind by developments and will look like fools stuck on the outside when it eventually comes to negotiating a new, agreed Ireland and they've marginalised themselves from the re-unification process so much that they won't have any influence over its direction.

Meanwhile, Lisa O'Carroll writes in the Guardian that Dublin is streets ahead of other EU rivals as London firms plan for post-Brexit relocation: https://www.theguardian.com/business...location-plans

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa O'Carroll
    In boardrooms across London, bank executives are deciding where to move tens of thousands of jobs in the event of a hard Brexit. Rival European financial centres, including Paris, Frankfurt and Luxembourg, are vying for the business – but Dublin is emerging as the most popular destination.

Hundreds of banks, insurers, fund managers and other major City firms had until Friday to tell the Bank of England how they intend to cope in the event of a hard Brexit.

Accountants at EY last week said 59 out of the 222 biggest financial services companies in the UK have made public statements about moving staff from Britain to the EU because of Brexit. Dublin, which is still scarred by Ireland’s financial crisis, is the top destination with 19 firms mentioning a possible move to the Irish capital.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    It's also exceptionally rich to hear a Brexit supporter warning of endangerment to the peace process. Irony is dead
    It isn't. 'Threat to Peace Process' is just a cliche/ euphemism for 'Anything in NI politics I disagree with'. Extending the Augnacloy Autobahn or York Street flyover with Tory handouts doesn't threaten anyone; nor does electing another gombeen Shinner who makes Martina Anderson sound like a World stateswoman by comparison. In other words- Jeff's talking cojones, but no more than anyone else

I doubt parties that operate only south of the border would be too keen on Verhofstad's idea either as Sinn Féin would most likely stand to take all northern seats on offer if there was to be a unionist boycott...I think it'd be a positive move
    It'd be slightly more positive with more support (ie if the Unionists, the Fianna Failers, the Blueshirts, the Labour weren't likely to blank it). It's an empty stunt.

As progressive unionist Sophie Long
    Long has now left the UVF's political wing which I suppose makes her slightly more progressive than before. But let's see some electoral support before we give her full credit...
    Last edited by Gather round; 17/07/2017 at 10:11 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789