Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Post Euro Possible transfers thread

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I firmly believe he was better than Senderos and Djourou - the latter who got a decent bit of game time for them.
    It's irrelevant because while Djourou and Senderos were bang average they were a) Arsenal youth players Wenger had trained to play his way, and b) they were passing centre halves whose instinct was always to play it out, which Dunne never was. Same as Joe Hart - he's a better goalkeeper than Claudio Bravo but it's kind of moot when he can't do what the coach wants from a goalkeeper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Well Dunne was POTY four times in a row at Man City (all in the Premier League).

I'd argue he was coming in to his peak in or around the 2006-2007 season.

Arsenal's defenders were Gallas, Toure, Senderos and Djourou.

Gallas was a better player than Dunne, but I'd argue he was better than Toure, and I firmly believe he was better than Senderos and Djourou - the latter who got a decent bit of game time for them.
    Dunne got those awards in a City side that were mid to lower half of the table. Arsenal, as we all know, were in the top four.

Besides that, he just wasn't good enough with the ball at his feet to play for Arsenal, who were in the beginnings of their Barcelona-lite phase at the time. I don't think it would've helped the national side either if he wasn't starting week in, week out.
    Last edited by The Fly; 31/08/2016 at 11:47 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Giroud is at Arsenal for physical presence in a team that lacks it. I don't know if non-British managers have anything specifically against Irish (or Scottish or Welsh) players but they tend to rate them less. Whether it's cultural or that they're just not as good, I don't know.
    A lot go with their own too though. Same as wegner at Arsenal, the English or British managers go for British, and less so Irish players. It could just be as simple as that.

So hendrick gets rewarded for his performances at the Euros with a move, would brady have been let go at £10mil was anyone even interested, we heard very little about Leceister, and the skinny grant mitchell suggested there were no proper bids in for him. Brady scored 2 goals in the Euros, and played very well. What more can he do? I don't like the 42 but they had a good argument about academy players from bigger clubs who are let go and have an unfair advantage over those plying their trade in the championship and lower leagues. I am aware Brady doesn't really fall into the argument but when you look at some of the players that they mentioned, its pretty clear there seems to be some bias towards those who started at the bigger clubs.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It's irrelevant because while Djourou and Senderos were bang average they were a) Arsenal youth players Wenger had trained to play his way, and b) they were passing centre halves whose instinct was always to play it out, which Dunne never was. Same as Joe Hart - he's a better goalkeeper than Claudio Bravo but it's kind of moot when he can't do what the coach wants from a goalkeeper.
    LIke save shots and taht kinda stuff. A mate once said something similar in that wing backs in Gaelic football don't need to defend. The priority first and foremost for a defender should always be to defend, and for a goalkeeper to make saves.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Precisely (although Hart has developed a knack of not saving shots either). Guardiola has been pretty open at all of his clubs saying he wants his goalkeeper to be the first playmaker in the team. Hart's more talented than Bravo (and a lot more talented than Caballero, who's been ahead of him thusfar) but if he can't pass the ball reliably then he's not much good to his manager. Likewise, as you say, some teams play with wing backs because their full backs can't defend well enough.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234