Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid season thougths.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts

Mid season thougths.

So now that we have reached the break in the season I am interested to see what people think so far obviously results and position wise you would be mental to have too much wrong to say but there are still things to think about.

Who do ye reckon is our best player?
    Anyone surprise you with how well they have done?
    Anyone been a let down?
    What changes would you make if any?
    What would you be looking to sign in the window in July?

Throw any thoughts you have about the season so far in here will be interesting to see just how impressed people are and if there is any interesting thoughs on where to improve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I'll get the ball rolling and answer myself, always thought I knew my stuff anyway .

I think while O'Flynn is scoring all the goals the last few weeks has shown that Shane Duggan is our best and most important player the whole level of play just dropped as soon as he was gone.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Stephen Kenny in pre season I didn't think he looked like much but he has been great so far in creating chances and goals for us I'd love an actual count of how many goals he has been involved in.

I can't think of one off the top of my head that has been a let down.

Changes id make is to tighten up a bit its great to watch our style of play and its fine winning the mad scored we have been but I think we need to be staying sharp at the back for when we come up against the premier teams in cups we have a real chance now of getting a good cup run and getting to a final id hate to see stupid mistakes cost us that.

We need a keeper now in July with Freddy out long term other than that id be filling out the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    John O'Flynn is the best striker I have ever seen play for us.

Wouldn't be fully sold on Kenny doesn't do the right thing often enough and I think he'd struggle in the premier.

Paul O'Connor needs to up his game.

Robbie Williams has been excellent.

Chris Mulhall is a worker and a half but he's not a number ten.

Look this year is all about preparing for next year. Last night was an important game in that regard because you need an idea of where you are at.

Was there anyone on that bench that you would have in the squad next season?

First team is carrying one or two players that won't be good enough as well.

Don't get me wrong it's been fun though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    You would hope now that July is used to plan for next season we may as well get lads in now that will stick around next season we have no need for first division standard players til the end of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    O Flynn has been awesome, considering there were warnings about him been injury prone but I've not seen a better finisher for limerick. Kenny is exciting but end product is poor, not a great crosser and poor finisher. Paudie is awesome and with a legit experienced centre half beside him we could tighten up at the back.
    The loss of Duggan is so obvious and another midfielder is a must in the transfer window. As already mentioned you can see how poor we're playing without him. Great fun all the same this season and the market's Field is a magical venue on a good night. Atmosphere is always good. So far so good this season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Does anyone know about the news that will be announced in the next few weeks supposedly exciting news with the club on live95fm today. I'm presuming it might be an investment in the club???

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LK37oldskool View Post
    O Flynn has been awesome, considering there were warnings about him been injury prone but I've not seen a better finisher for limerick. Kenny is exciting but end product is poor, not a great crosser and poor finisher. Paudie is awesome and with a legit experienced centre half beside him we could tighten up at the back.
    The loss of Duggan is so obvious and another midfielder is a must in the transfer window. As already mentioned you can see how poor we're playing without him. Great fun all the same this season and the market's Field is a magical venue on a good night. Atmosphere is always good. So far so good this season.
    I know he's young and I shouldn't be overly critical but Paudie was poor last night, 4 or 5 bad mistakes. Drogheda's equalizer and lead goal being prime examples( and I'm not forgetting the howler from Holland) but Paudie should have prevented that and the Drog's lead goal.

Duggan is a huge loss, and Lynch can't carry the midfield by himself, so yes a centre mid is needed in the window, as is a keeper. Holland is too young.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I actually think Robbie has been a lot better than Paudie this season at CB and i'm not slagging off Paudie I haven't seen a centre back in the league yet that I think looks anwyhere near as good as Robbie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Considering the last big announcement was for " honoury President " I wouldn't hold my breath. Pats probably inviting John delaney out for a pint to discuss the Celtic / Milan situation.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Who do ye reckon is our best player?
    Anyone surprise you with how well they have done?
    Anyone been a let down?
    What changes would you make if any?
    What would you be looking to sign in the window in July?
    O'Flynn has obviously been the star but I'd agree that Robbie Williams has also been excellent as has Greene when fit.

I'm surprised at how good O'Flynn has been, I expected him to be very good but he's been terrific.

I don't want to be overly picky because he is young but I've been a little disappointed with Paudie O'Connor. He hasn't been a let down but he's not pushed on either. He seems a bit complacent at times to my eyes and I hope he doesn't go down that road. I've seen other guys burst onto the scene and never really kick on from there before and I hope he develops into the player he could be.

I wouldn't change much to be honest, not much point in throwing money at that team given the results. I would look for a keeper alright. Holland isn't there yet. Other than that... you could add a player or two but I just don't think it's necessary really and probably not the best use of resources at that stage.

In a very minute crib, the website isn't what it was. They've been slow to get match reports at times, there's only a handful on the first team squad page and the club colours link is to our 2012 kit. It's not a huge deal obviously but it's a bit sloppy at the same time.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    It's hard to find anything to be critical about, relative to the quality of the league. Limerick are miles ahead of the other seven, and it wouldn't take the addition of all that much - a quality centre back, some cover from the midfield and upfront - for them to be reasonably competitive in the Premier.

If there was a worry it'd be that the club might be spending too much considering the Division, but the crowds have been good. Better than they were for much of last year.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    It's hard to find anything to be critical about, relative to the quality of the league. Limerick are miles ahead of the other seven, and it wouldn't take the addition of all that much - a quality centre back, some cover from the midfield and upfront - for them to be reasonably competitive in the Premier.

If there was a worry it'd be that the club might be spending too much considering the Division, but the crowds have been good. Better than they were for much of last year.
    No doubt we are still relying on Pat but crowds are well ahead of what the club had projected which is great.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    We're doing grand and will be promoted easily.

The only thing that would be a problem is if Russell thinks that squad, as it is now, is good enough to survive in the premier. I'd like to think he knows the defence in particular is nowhere near solid enough.

But we've talked about that before on here - let's wait and see what players are brought in between now and the start of next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    As linked to in the main LOI forum, Jordan Moore has left the club and has some choice things, and frankly, lunatic things,to say about his stay in Limerick:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...ifUEtrJOxjp.97
    Last edited by osarusan; 14/06/2016 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    As an aside, I'd say somebody has been editing O'Flynn's wikipedia records.

John O'Flynn.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    As linked to in the main LOI forum, Jordan Moore has left the club and has some choice things, and frankly, lunatic things,to say about his stay in Limerick:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...ifUEtrJOxjp.97
    That's after leaving a fat, useless, bow legged, ****** shaped hole in our squad.

Luckily I found my old boots cleaning the attic.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Seems like Moore's ill-health rotted the old brain somewhat. The talentless waster.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Seems like Moore's ill-health rotted the old brain somewhat. The talentless waster.
    Hopefully a lesson learned for our esteemed chairman.

If your going to make circus freak show publicity stunt signings remember publicity stunts work both ways.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Hope ye all can make the game Friday night in the markets field for a former player €5 entrance fee Limerick have posters etc done up just waiting on fai before they can promote it

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    OK, leaving aside some of the general craziness, is there any truth to his claims about late payments?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast