Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Athlone Town

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Its all very well blaming Delaney & the FAI but if clubs can't run their own affairs in a proper business like manner then its not up to the FAI to keep filling holes that clubs dig themselves.
    The FAI awarded Athlone a Premier Division Licence for 2016 after Athlone failed to pay their players for the majority of last season 2015. They still have failed to pay their outstanding debts owed to players & staff from 2015 and now their 2016 players are not being paid - this is in total breach of the UEFA/FAI's own licencing criteria

Delaney, Gavin and the rest of the crooks in Abbotstown are fully complicit and liable for facilitating this disaster alongside Athlone's Board. And as we all know Athlone aren't the first club to go tits up under the FAI's 'governance' and won't be the last.
    Last edited by total hoofball; 04/06/2016 at 9:55 AM.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    They might need to drop down to the A Championship for a few years. Oh right, the plug was pulled on that intermediary development level.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Oh right, the plug was pulled on that intermediary development level.
    You should have probably mentioned that before...
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Will Frank and Irene have to change their holiday plans to sort out this mess?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    It's obvious that there's a big rift between the board and the supporters. The only way out of this is for the FAI to remove the current board and allow the supporters to take over as a trust (with an interim board elected by the supporters). If the supporters are given control of the club then there's hope that things can be turned around but if the present impasse continues then I'd fear that it would be the end.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Seems like leveling a financial punishment at Athlone would be both pointless and self-defeating, and a points deduction, in a league without relegation where Athlone are already far off play-off/promotion places, even more so.

What are the odds the First Division is a six team league by the end of this season?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Is there anybody willing to keep the show on the road and restructure the club?
    BTW, I disagree with Disgruntled. If two clubs (Athlone and Waterford) get licences to compete and are on the verge of collapse even before the Summer break, the operation of the regulations must be questioned, and that's down to Delaney and Co.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
    It's obvious that there's a big rift between the board and the supporters. The only way out of this is for the FAI to remove the current board and allow the supporters to take over as a trust (with an interim board elected by the supporters). If the supporters are given control of the club then there's hope that things can be turned around but if the present impasse continues then I'd fear that it would be the end.
    I'm not being funny but aren't they already a members club? Could they not call an EGM if enough members want one? I'm not au fait with their constitution but surely there's some kind of provision in there that they can use?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I heard Alan Mathews on Shannonside today being interviewd about this saga. He seems a defeated man. I wouldnt be surprised if he will quit the club. If he comes on the market I would take him back and get rid of that waster Cousins as Mathews still has a lot to offer. He also confirmed that four of the team are pro and the rest are amateurs.. How did they spend this money from this Athlone fan who won a lot of money? How was this spent so quickly? Personally I would hate for them to go as you need a midlands derby and it was thanks to Athlone that we got into the league of ireland in the first place!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I heard Alan Mathews on Shannonside today being interviewd about this saga. He seems a defeated man. I wouldnt be surprised if he will quit the club. If he comes on the market I would take him back and get rid of that waster Cousins as Mathews still has a lot to offer. He also confirmed that four of the team are pro and the rest are amateurs.. How did they spend this money from this Athlone fan who won a lot of money? How was this spent so quickly? Personally I would hate for them to go as you need a midlands derby and it was thanks to Athlone that we got into the league of ireland in the first place!
    That money was to clear stadium debt for athlone town stadium Ltd. Completely different company to the club itself.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    There was an opportunity for a merger between First Division and A Championship years back. The First Division has regressed since then. If Athlone and Waterford sink, only 4 of the current First Division would seem in a position to step up to a single tier Premier. Some form of intermediary regionalised league might have to come back for the rest with B teams from the Premier being allowed as well.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    If Athlone and Waterford sink, only 4 of the current First Division would seem in a position to step up to a single tier Premier.
    Only 4?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I'm not being funny but aren't they already a members club? Could they not call an EGM if enough members want one? I'm not au fait with their constitution but surely there's some kind of provision in there that they can use?
    Wasn't aware that they were a members club but if so then surely they can call an egm?
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Looks like something will have to be done between now and the return of the league.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Does anyone in Athlone really care? Attendance's over the years would suggest few do care sadly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    What, are they trying to strong-arm this new group into an unfavorable deal? Surely if the club folds next week (and leaves the LOI mid-season) they'll be nothing left worth taking over?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    There are plenty that care. Unfortunately over the last number of years the link between the club and community is completely gone. Mainly down to the current regime. If the group who have proposed to take over are succesful in their attempt, people will come back to support the club. Slowly but surely.
    There is alot of bad blood between the current board and the people of Athlone and until they are removed, nothing will change.
    They released a statement yesterday evening saying that if a deal isn't completed by Tuesday, then any future decisions will be taken by the current executive committee. Most people have taken this as an intention to fold the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    What, are they trying to strong-arm this new group into an unfavorable deal? Surely if the club folds next week (and leaves the LOI mid-season) they'll be nothing left worth taking over?
    All they care about is the academy. They are setting up a midlands school of excellence and are hoping to sell players to England. They do not care about the first team and have said to certain people that they don't want a first team.
    It's a dictatorship down there. Nothing else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Then why don't they just withdraw and be done with it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Will Frank and Irene have to change their holiday plans to sort out this mess?
    They can do a conference call from the Riviera. The joys of modern technology.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast