Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International games - match threads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts

International games - match threads

Hi mods and Adam. Just was thinking that it would be really nice to have a forum where we could move game threads into. Maybe give a week post game and then lock it and move to a library type forum where new posts are disabled. Ive often thought of going back and reading about specific games but it is sometimes very difficult to locate them and this might solve that as well as just being a nice catalogue of our games. Just a thought. Not sure how much work it would be.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Fantastic idea. I've wasted days trying to locate match threads to prove a point or make sure I'm not contradicting myself.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    That's a brilliant idea.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Only slight change I would make to Stu's idea would be to leave the threads open. It's handy being able to add something of significance even if it's long after the event. Stu's idea would make this a far easier process also.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    great idea. If Adam makes a new folder in the international folder, call it "Archived Match Threads" or something, then can one of you bump the relevant threads and I'll move them into the new folder?
    I was thinking of starting a new thread for each of the underage qualifying campaigns as well, instead of just lumping everything into the existing U17/U19/U21 thread
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Only slight change I would make to Stu's idea would be to leave the threads open. It's handy being able to add something of significance even if it's long after the event. Stu's idea would make this a far easier process also.
    the only reason I suggested closing it was because if its left open it just becomes another forum for someone to moderate, which I don't think would be well received. Though I get your point.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    great idea. If Adam makes a new folder in the international folder, call it "Archived Match Threads" or something, then can one of you bump the relevant threads and I'll move them into the new folder?
    will start as soon as this happens!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Never thought of that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    While changes are being made can I suggest something.

In the International section we have an Ireland Forum and a World Cup Forum. Could the World Cup one be renamed "Other Countries" or something.

For obvious reasons the forum doesn't seem to do much business outside World Cup years but it could easily become a home for conversations about the likes of the Copa America or for the usual Irish fascination with England.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

14. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Rather than moving threads and creating a new forum, would it not make more sense to have an index instead? Stickied at the top of the forum.

So kind of like the YouTube thread.

Changing the name of the World Cup form to International Football or something makes perfect sense too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Personally, with regards the match thread proposal, I'd like if it was done in a kind of Microsoft office 'folder' type way, and that it might contain more than just the match thread itself. There are often similar conversations going on in a couple of different threads relating to the one match and it would be useful to keep them all together and to be able to revisit all of them, not just the specific match thread.

What I mean is I might create a thread for 'Ireland v Switzerland, Aviva Stadium, bla bla'... then there's usually a 'squad thread' created by somebody else... then there's the 'match thread' itself that Stu is talking about and sometimes even a 'score prediction' thread. I find when you're search for something specific it can often be in any one of those threads, so the match thread itself might not have what you're looking for.

I don't know what way it can be worked but I think ideally you'd have an 'Ireland Match thread' folder - (maybe even the year or a relevant campaign index within that) - then the title of the individual matches within that - then the various threads associated with that match within that again.

I've no idea how practical that is though as I don't really know the inner workings of what can and can't be done.

Sorry if I'm overcomplicating it, obviously we'll take what we can get, but better to get the suggestions out there now I guess.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 17/05/2016 at 3:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    that might be over complicating it alright, let's just start with the match threads, and go from there.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Done. Let me know whether it should be open or closed for posting?

EDIT: I'm not sure it's possible to allow new posts but not new threads, so for now I've closed it for both.

Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    While changes are being made can I suggest something.

In the International section we have an Ireland Forum and a World Cup Forum. Could the World Cup one be renamed "Other Countries" or something.

For obvious reasons the forum doesn't seem to do much business outside World Cup years but it could easily become a home for conversations about the likes of the Copa America or for the usual Irish fascination with England.
    This is a good idea but I'm not sure how to implement it. Anyone else got thoughts on this?

I've merged 2006 into the main WC forum, didn't seem much point in keeping it separate any more.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 19/05/2016 at 12:52 PM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    This is a good idea but I'm not sure how to implement it. Anyone else got thoughts on this?
    Isn't there a 'world football' forum already for that? Why not split that into 'world football - international' and 'world football - club'?

Or am I missing something about what backstothewall wants to do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    ok, can someone bump the threads for last year's games and I'll move them into the new folder?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Isn't there a 'world football' forum already for that? Why not split that into 'world football - international' and 'world football - club'?

Or am I missing something about what backstothewall wants to do?
    This is why you should always state your assumptions!

As we have an international section and the World Football forum isn't in it I've always assumed World Football to refer to the club game. To be honest I've always taken it to be a thinly veiled means of having a forum for English/Scottish football without us having to suffer the collective embarrassment of actually calling that.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    ok, can someone bump the threads for last year's games and I'll move them into the new folder?
    Did that there. The date needs fixing to the 16th on the B&H 2nd leg by the way (and the teams turned the other way around).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    can't move the threads, getting this message
    You have tried to move the thread into a forum that cannot contain posts. Please select a different forum.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    This is why you should always state your assumptions!

As we have an international section and the World Football forum isn't in it I've always assumed World Football to refer to the club game. To be honest I've always taken it to be a thinly veiled means of having a forum for English/Scottish football without us having to suffer the collective embarrassment of actually calling that.
    I always assumed that the international section referred to the Irish international team, distinct from the LOI sections above it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    can't move the threads, getting this message
    Forgot it wasn't a sub of a forum you're a mod of, fixed now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    nope, same message
    You have tried to move the thread into a forum that cannot contain posts. Please select a different forum.
    I'm selecting "move threads", should I be selecting something else? The forum is listed as a category in the list of forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast