Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: League games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    hopefully he continues to receive the coaching required to improve his game.
    From who though? We have no-one on the coaching staff to coach the defensive side of the game like that if we are waiting for Russell to teach someone how to defend then we are doomed it's not his thing and the other two involved are goalkeeper Eddie Hickey and striker Derek McCarthy.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    From who though? We have no-one on the coaching staff to coach the defensive side of the game like that if we are waiting for Russell to teach someone how to defend then we are doomed it's not his thing and the other two involved are goalkeeper Eddie Hickey and striker Derek McCarthy.
    I reckon they will need Robbie to help him with a lot of the defensive side of things. In saying that Robbie can be a little more attack minded, especially when he was a left back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I reckon they will need Robbie to help him with a lot of the defensive side of things. In saying that Robbie can be a little more attack minded, especially when he was a left back.
    Can't properly coach him either while he is taking care of his own playing side.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Obviously coaching should benefit anybody, but 18 or not, if Paudie O'Connor needs to be thought not to play tippy-tappy little nonsense passes in his own area at this stage, with a season and a half of senior ball under his belt, I would worry about his potential going forward. I think being dropped could be just the kick up the hole he needs. Cut out the casual, blase messing about and get back to defending first and foremost.

He's not the first player to come into the team and suddenly get hyped up - Stephen O'Mahony, Stephen McGann, even Jason Hughes when he broke in were all talked about as guys who had the tools to, at the very least, establish themselves as senior LOI pros (if not go even further afield). Of the three only Hughes has had any sort of lasting impact at senior level. Paudie would do well to take note!
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    It seems to be Russell's philosophy to play it out from the back though. It could be a case of if you don't try and play it out then you will be dropped. We've seen it with Folan, Oji, Williams, Kanyuka, Paudie and even look at his UCD teams. They were always prone to mistakes playing it out but most players have since gone on to establish themselves at LOI level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    It seems to be Russell's philosophy to play it out from the back though. It could be a case of if you don't try and play it out then you will be dropped. We've seen it with Folan, Oji, Williams, Kanyuka, Paudie and even look at his UCD teams. They were always prone to mistakes playing it out but most players have since gone on to establish themselves at LOI level.
    I agree with you. To a point. I refuse to believe that even Russell encourages the sort of lax, casual, cheap attitude to possession that Paudie has been in danger of making his hallmark at times this season. If he CAN'T play out from the back (not that I'm saying that definitively yet) then he's of no use to Russell anyway. Giving possession away so frequently in your own area is basic stuff, he has plenty of time to learn how to improve his reading, his movement and his technique but he should be old enough already to have grasped that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Is Shane Tracey carrying an injury?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    And we're is our top goalscorer john o flynn and why was he only on the bench v ucd last weekend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    First thing that has to be said about Waterford game is that they should be ashamed of themselves with having players out on that pitch I was surprised ref passed it tbh cos to me it looked dangerous to players.The game itself they did well enough against us and had the better of spells but we did what we have done over and over again this season and blew em apart near the end,scored 3 in 5 minutes I think it was. Paudie came back strong from last week and did well and Greene even though he is clearly not back to 100% yet is still miles above this division. Freddy really isn't anywhere near fit either and I think thats what cost us the goal.

19 clear now anyway with level games so not far away from having it officially won.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Awful accident tonight 2 rows in front of me young lad no more than 6 or 7yrs of age cobh lad with his dad his finger somehow got caught on the seat lost the tip of his finger very upsetting viewing poor lad was in serious distress people trying to find to tip of his finger on the ground to put it in ice.
    Hope he is OK with my small one only 4 got very upset aswell.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas72 View Post
    Awful accident tonight 2 rows in front of me young lad no more than 6 or 7yrs of age cobh lad with his dad his finger somehow got caught on the seat lost the tip of his finger very upsetting viewing poor lad was in serious distress people trying to find to tip of his finger on the ground to put it in ice.
    Hope he is OK with my small one only 4 got very upset aswell.
    I was a few more rows back - horrible screams that will stay with me for a while.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I was a few more rows back - horrible screams that will stay with me for a while.
    Ya it was a horrendous situation I was looking at the empty seat beside me trying to work out were would he of caught it on couldn't figure it out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    What made it worse was a ****ing lunatic running around alarming the whole stadium screaming at everyone, EVERYONE to call an ambulance. The first aid guys were on the scene quickly and the unlucky kid was on his way to the hospital within five mins.

On the pitch lee jay is saving Russell and his idiotic selections. His son who snuck back into the club a few weeks ago is now being selected once more over tracy and Murphy. Hes playing left back but is hopelessly out of his dept there. His tackling is soft, his headers soft his pace or lack of it is very noticeable. But his slow distribution makes having Aaron Greene on the pitch pointless. Everything is slower out of defense with Russell. Its like having a Lamborghini and driving to sligo, but the travelers are on the move from tubercurry and your going 40kph.
    Great to see Duggan back hopefully o'flynn will be sorted for next week also. Great crowd too. Hope the move to Friday is a once off for the shels game

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    We're doing enough to win but that's about all awful to watch at times , I suppose at this stage we all turn up expecting to win and the team seems to relax once they go a few up and got very sloppy again especially second half cobh unlucky not to score we gifted them plenty of chances , How Sean Russell is at left back I'll never know he is useless there too slow caught out of position time after time .Great to have duggan back made a massive difference straight away , we're winning but nowhere near the style we were earlier in the season going through the motions alot of the time we'll take it at this stage keep winning and finish the season unbeaten . I presume the only reason shels game is Friday is because we're playing the semi of the cup the following Monday which is still even madness with such an important game and the travelling involved , hope the kid from cobh is OK horrendous that was so freak whatever happened

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Jesus, does anyone know if the kid is OK?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Routine win .....yawn.hope the young lad is ok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Harsh to have a go at the man asking for ambulance he was very near the incident and was no doubt panicked by it all himself, obviously would have been better if everyone had stayed calm but its easier said than done and he was only trying to make sure the lad got attention as quickly as possible.

On the game the way we started well and at one stage I thought we were going to hammer em Greene and Kenny were killing their full backs but they got back into it and we did get a bit sloppy at the end. Its unrealistic to expect us to play the way we did at the start of the season all the way through it though so I am more than happy to keep winning without every week being total football just last week we looked back to our best near the end of the Waterford game. Great to see Duggan back and Tracy too hopefully now we can get O'Flynn back for Derry.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Hope the young lad OK. Shane O'Connor impressed for Cobh the other night, a player worth considering for next season maybe ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Plus, a clean sheet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Cabinteely at home moved to 2pm kick off. Not greatest of times but had to be moved logical decision made by the club.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast