Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fixtures- April 22nd/23rd/25th

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    To be fair Killian Brennan has been one of the best players in this league for the guts of a decade. He's on the downside of his career but he isn't helped by defenders who can#t pass the ball playing behind him
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Just the
    3 league titles
    3 FAI Cups
    5 League Cups
    1 Setanta Cup
    and Player of the years awards for Brennan,

The horror of having someone like that in your team...
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    I fear Bucko and Fenlon might end up swapping jobs this season...
    God no. No reason to think Bucko is going to part company with Pats is there ? For all that the team has a soft centre for the last couple of years, I'd still have Buckley over Fenlon any day.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Why the new Board; Is it simply that there is an AGM pending that could elect/reelect a 'new' board, or is there an opinion among members that new faces are needed?
    It's part of the new investment - Ray Wilson bringing in people with business experience to bring the club forward. New CEO will be announced soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Jesus wept! You could hardly get a greater contrast.

I doubt that even the most ardent Rovers fan had any great expectations about Killian Brennan.

The main problem is Fenlon - he has recruited these players. He is failing in other areas too - like tactics, organisation and motivation
    His tactics have generally been alright. It seems the motivation is a real problem. We lost the battle against Dundalk and Cork - whatever about being up against more talented players, they were just beaten for effort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It's part of the new investment - Ray Wilson bringing in people with business experience to bring the club forward. New CEO will be announced soon.
    does dfx know?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Just the
    3 league titles
    3 FAI Cups
    5 League Cups
    1 Setanta Cup
    and Player of the years awards for Brennan,

The horror of having someone like that in your team...
    No doubt Brennan has achieved plenty in the past, although his attitude has always been questionable. It was hardly an absence of technical skills that stymied a cross-channel career

As his ability fades, his negative attributes seem to be even more apparent. The contrast with Stephen O'Donnell in terms of character, leadership and positive influence on his team could hardly be greater.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Seem to remember Pats fans complaining plenty about Fahey in his last year despite all his medals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Will be interesting to see how things at Rovers go once the new CEO and board comes on stream at end of May.

For last 5 seasons Rovers haven't competed , have spent over a million in cash , much of the fan base has become disillusioned - the one constant over that period was/is the make up of the board , so with that changing methinks things will also change on the park
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 26/04/2016 at 8:15 PM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    To be fair Killian Brennan has been one of the best players in this league for the guts of a decade. He's on the downside of his career but he isn't helped by defenders who can#t pass the ball playing behind him
    Also a lazy bugger at times though, wouldnt you agree?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Also a lazy bugger at times though, wouldnt you agree?
    No, I wouldn't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Seem to remember Pats fans complaining plenty about Fahey in his last year despite all his medals.
    He hasn't won that much

And I never complained about him or Brennan
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    although his attitude has always been questionable.
    Has it?

He has a winners attitude if you ask me. He has been sent off a few times against Dundalk so I can see why you guys would think he has a bad attitude but in the biggest game between Pats and Dundalk in the last few years, it was O'Donnell who lost his cool and got sent off.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Has it?

He has a winners attitude if you ask me. He has been sent off a few times against Dundalk so I can see why you guys would think he has a bad attitude but in the biggest game between Pats and Dundalk in the last few years, it was O'Donnell who lost his cool and got sent off.
    He's a good bet for a red card against Dundalk. For some reason he can't control his temper against us but it's great entertainment.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Will be interesting to see how things at Rovers go once the new CEO and board comes on stream at end of May.

For last 5 seasons Rovers haven't competed , have spent over a million in cash , much of the fan base has become disillusioned - the one constant over that period was/is the make up of the board , so with that changing methinks things will also change on the park
    In the last five years ye have spent over 1million (the Europa money I assume) while also running up a 400k rolling debt.
    Ye now have a 1.5 million loan to start paying baying back on top of the 400K. Crowds are down and there is a real opportunity of now Europe.
    It will be very hard for a new board to change things on the park with those figures tying their hands?
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    In the last five years ye have spent over 1million (the Europa money I assume) while also running up a 400k rolling debt.
    Ye now have a 1.5 million loan to start paying baying back on top of the 400K. Crowds are down and there is a real opportunity of now Europe.
    It will be very hard for a new board to change things on the park with those figures tying their hands?
    Not sure where you're getting the rolling debt figure of €400k from. However we are about to take on debt of €1.5m interest free and if not repayed 50% of club ownership reverts to lender who is a club stalwart so no real issue there.

Personally I'm very happy with the forthcoming changes which will bring on board individuals with top class business experience and success who will drive the club forward commercially which is a way better plan than remaining as is - sure time will tell

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Has it?

Fair call in relation to Stephen O'Donnell getting sent off back in 2013 - I felt he let his side down that day. Aside from that red card (and his bizarre penalty attempt against Bohs that same season) his attitude, leadership and professionalism has been outstanding. If you conducted a poll among Dundalk fans he would probable emerge as the most important / most effective player for Dundalk over the Kenny era

In relation to Killian Brennan, it is touching to see the loyalty of St Pats fans to a gifted yet erratic and temperamental player who is regularly out of control (especially in recent seasons against Dundalk). Perhaps the level of his current impotence at Shamrock Rovers inspires this sentimentality?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I'm not sure what the issue is here. Both players are among the league's elite, but they're at various stages of their career.

Brennan has often been lauded by his managers as a model professional. So has O'Donnell.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    For a few obvious reasons Killian Brennan isn't the most popular player with Dundalk fans. Part of this is undoubtedly his essential role with Pats as league challengers seasons past. That he has regularly seen red v Dundalk has turned him from a quality player to a bit of a cartoon villain. Since his move to Rovers he is nowhere near as influential a player as he was at Pats. Whether this is to do with the move to Rovers coincidentally coinciding with a general down turn in his career or that he is mirroring his club and teams general form remains to be seen. Pats fans are obviously still fond of him as a former key player - if he rattled in a hat-rick in Tallaght after Pats being 0-2 up and celebrated as he undoubtedly would there would unlikely be a whisper if he was criticised on here by Pats fans. Brennan/O'Donnell, Both are important players to current and former clubs' relative success, O'Donnell imo is more important to Dundalk still than Brennan is to Rovers. Both have been occasionally rash on the pitch, Brennan certainly seems the much more volatile. As club captain, there has been no greater leader among the players and as an ambassador for Dundalk FC. As captain of the Champions id dare suggest he is the most influential player currently league wide in terms of inspiration to a team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Brennan is a fabulous player. He has rarely been at his best while playing against Dundalk which may colour the opinions of Dundalk fans. However, I've seen him in enough other games to know his quality.

As Nesta99 says above, there are many reasons for his current slump. I wouldn't bet on it lasting too long though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    He's 32 and has been playing at the top for well over a decade. I wouldn't imagine he can recapture his peak performances (Bohs 2008, Pats 2013). I've said for a while now O'Donnell is the best player in the league
    ---

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast