Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixtures- April 22nd/23rd/25th

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Thought it was an excellent second half display by Dundalk, the sending off helped but getting the second goal straight into the second half was ruthless. The tactics by Fenlon in the first half was crazy, sending high balls into the likes of Gartland and Boyle.

Horgan and Finn were superb, O'Donnell was good in the first half and shields put in a very good shift. Overall a very comfortable win and I'd say Finn is odds on now to get player of the month for April.

Dundalk need a decent striker in, I'd agree on a post earlier that one is needed to make an impact in Europe. Not sure how they can get over the next few months though, and if an out of contract player can join, or will they have to wait until July 1st.

Rovers will be very disappointed with their display, based on last night a spot in Europe will be a tough ask.

Ps Patrick, on Kenny Browne, madness getting a red in what looked to have been a straight forward home win.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Good game for Benson to get game, time too though pity it was at the expense of another injury to O'Donnell. Hopefully scans wont show too much damage to his ankle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Have Limerick kept a clean sheet yet this season?

They are scoring tonnes, but seem to concede one every week. Wonder if anyone offers odds on a team to win by more than one and both teams to score in a double.

A Dundalk fan above asked questions about the make up of the league. Dundalk are rolling right now, but I'm not convinced the table is going to finish looking like it does right now. I maintain that we won't have any runaway leaders.

Derry are brilliant, but lack depth and will struggle as the season goes on. I'm not sure whats going on with us at all. We created a tonne of chances again on Friday but didn't look great. The next few weeks will be tough. We have an insane fixture list right now. Two games into a 5 home game in 15 day streak, and I think we play 8 games in just 26 days. If we can pick up 6 points this week then I think we might kick on but we haven't really looked great for a while now (I wasn't in Dundalk).
    I'm also not sure what to make of Galway. Delighted to see them doing so well, but I can't see them holiding on (we surprised everyone in 2014 though, Dundalk in 2013... so it is possible).

I haven't seen Rovers yet but their results are mad. They batter Bohs either side of a tonking from Derry and what sounded like a convincing defeat from Dundalk? Monday should be interesting, both of us missing a player (Browne is an idiot by the way, no need for that sending off, he had to know it was going to be a straight red. I wonder what he was reacting to, didn't see anything).

I don't really rate Pats this year but they may improve as the year goes on. As I speak though they are losing to Bray.

All of this is to say that Dundalk might win the title, but without any brilliance from themselves, but through inconsistency from the remainder of the challengers.

At the other end of the table Longford were one of the worst teams I've seen in years and Wexford impressed me massively yet they both have 5 points. Sligo were also very good against us, and have apparently looked good in recent weeks. I haven't seen Bray but they look like a basket case.

I think the final table will look something like this (alphabetical by group)

1: Dundalk
    2: Cork City
    3: Derry City
    4: St. Pats
    5. Shamrock Rovers
    6: Galway
    7: Bohs
    8: Sligo
    9: Harps
    10: Wexford
    11: Bray
    12: Longford

I expect to be massively wrong

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Clean sheets against Athlone, Drogheda and Cabinteely.

Not for the lack of trying to give away goals though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Clean sheets against Athlone, Drogheda and Cabinteely.

Not for the lack of trying to give away goals though.
    Similar defending to last seasons late run? That game against Sligo was always going to end badly, and could have been much worse.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Similar defending to last seasons late run? That game against Sligo was always going to end badly, and could have been much worse.
    We continue to have spells where we are totally inept defensively. Maybe a 15-20 minute spell at some stage in nearly every game. Last season Premier teams were punishing us, but First division teams aren't. UCD had 2 or 3 good chances last night before the goal they got. Athlone missed a series of sitters. Waterford did punish us, but we were already 4 up.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Dundalk are rolling right now, but I'm not convinced the table is going to finish looking like it does right now. I maintain that we won't have any runaway leaders.

All of this is to say that Dundalk might win the title, but without any brilliance from themselves, but through inconsistency from the remainder of the challengers.
    We are over a quarter of the way through the season and the league leaders have 22 points from 9 games (or 2.44 points per match). That's on target for 80 points.

The league race could take many twists and turns along the way. but the early season results don't tally with your crystal ball gazing predictions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Some good points by El P. I was only saying to a mate after last Friday that whoever wins this years league might get there by a small margin. Dundalk are well placed at the minute but we need to improve our home form and get a new striker in when it's available to do so.

I also thought at start of the season and not just saying this as we have already been knocked out of 3 cups, that we would win one single trophy, the league title. I could be wrong, but as I said above, we are well placed, but it's not even the end of series one so early days. We will have very tough games coming up and especially in series 2, Cork and Derry away included.
    Last edited by oriel; 24/04/2016 at 11:44 AM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    El P certainly has Longford in the right place, they were ghastly last night, but far play to then they never let on they knew it.

10. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    If Gavin Brennan has become even-tempered it is the biggest turnaorund since St Paul on the road to Damascus

In his last season with Drogheda he was suspended for close on 10 games over the season
    I know, very disappointing. I was hoping his move to full back might inspire him to take a leave out of Pat Sullivan's book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Longford were abysmal in the first half last night. Lucky to go in 3 down.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Longford were abysmal in the first half last night. Lucky to go in 3 down.
    You're bang out of order......We were abysmal for 92 minutes.

Fair play to Sligo though, hard to imagine they hadn't won a game until last night, John Russell ran the show. Although I think a blind man could have picked passes in midfield last night given the space we gave up. Shocking.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    There appears to be some suggestion that Pat Fenlon was a little bit distressed after last Friday nights game

Fenlon was fuming after his side's previous defeat to Derry City but he adopted a different stance in the aftermath of the Tallaght loss to the champions.

The bluffers in the media and Daniel McDonnell continue to peddle the line that it was about the kit manufacturers banner

The Rovers boss was animated at the final whistle on Friday as he exchanged words with the Dundalk bench but refused to discuss the specifics.
    Kenny also declined to go into detail, although he hinted that the tension might have been related to a banner at Dundalk's kit launch in December. It referenced Dundalk winning the 2015 league title in Tallaght and was mentioned by Fenlon beforehand.
    "There was a lot of stuff going on about this bloody poster," sighed Kenny. "That was nothing to do with the club, it was CX+ Sports (kit sponsor) - it was their gig, I didn't even know about it."
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34655999.html

The reason must be obvious - Dundalk were disrespectful again in Tallaght.

A defeat in Cork tonight might accelerate Fenlon getting his P45. Paul Doolin would be an equally catastrophic replacement and would rival Fenlon in the misery and whinging department.

Cork abú
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 25/04/2016 at 9:03 AM. Reason: inserting link

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post

Are Pat's, Cork and Shamrock Rovers likely to put up a title challenge?

No and No, 2 mid table teams.

This could be Dundalk's easiest title win of the 3 in a row unless Cork get their act together.

They've a decent chance to get going this week tho, should beat Pats and Rovers comfortably enough
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    We've been crying out for years to get the Brandywell back to being the 'difficult place to go' it used to be, might be getting there.
    Certainly is for away fans

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    not all fans
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Cork 2 up after 12 minutes!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I hear the bell tolling for Nutsy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Rovers look as far away as ever from challenging for a league title ,which is a shame as I think a strong Rovers team is good for the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Should have been 3 in about 20. Blatant handball cleared a certain goal off the line. Not sure how the ref didnt see it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast