Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems In Waterford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Over the last few days there has been donations been rejected on the go fund me page unfortunately. Things seem to be back up and running now again. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...21447187930655

Another show of support to the club has been announced this afternoon. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...21447187930655

I am heading to a fundraising meeting this evening myself a long with others. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it. There's definitely one fundraiser on the table that I know of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    Over the last few days there has been donations been rejected on the go fund me page unfortunately. Things seem to be back up and running now again. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...21447187930655

Another show of support to the club has been announced this afternoon. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...21447187930655

I am heading to a fundraising meeting this evening myself a long with others. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it. There's definitely one fundraiser on the table that I know of.
    My donation from last week is still showing in my pending transactions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    Judging by this post today, there was a problem with the website that has been fixed: https://www.facebook.com/waterfordun...14948551913843
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Are they going to make a few signings out of this money same as last time?
    Roddy - as only Roddy would - was in the local newspapers basically saying he was hoping to get resources to bring in players. He's living in cuckoo land.
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Players will only be brought in if players leave the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    A white collar boxing event fundraiser has been announced. More details to be announced in due course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    Players will only be brought in if players leave the club.
    How? Unless players signed as amateurs to replace those leaving who were on a wage and then reduce costs.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    How? Unless players signed as amateurs to replace those leaving who were on a wage and then reduce costs.
    29/7/2013 "WATERFORD UNITED SUPPORTERS have saved the club from closure in the High Court today after a deal was made with former manager Stephen Henderson to prevent the club from being wound up."

31/7/2013 "Waterford United are delighted to announce the signing of Danny Furlong on loan from Cork City until the end of the season."

Now I know I'm probably being unfair and I certainly have sympathy for a club being in peril, but it was pretty galling having made a (fairly insignificant) donation to the appeal 3 years ago for the chairman (I think) to come out a couple of days later pretty much shrugging his shoulders and saying they still intended spending on players. I'm open to correction in the likely event I'm remembering that incorrectly.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Paid players are a luxury that cannot really be afforded currently at Waterford no matter how little they are on. I'd be reluctant to contribute to bucket collections etc if I thought that players would be signed and paid when the club's future is financially in doubt overall and continued to be put at risk. For this reason I feel it is foolish if such a policy is in mind and make it public before fundraiser money is in hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    This donation is still in my pending transactions. I'm going to try and stop it now on account of this rubbish from Roddy. Will you ever learn?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts
    Collins was surely just running his mouth, like he is prone to do? If the club turned around and started signing players in the next while, on anything other than amateur contracts, I'd be appalled.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts
    Only 268 at RSC tonight as well. Very poor response from locals to club in trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    That's a terrible crowd. Is this a protest against the current management or just simple disillusionment?

Anytime Sligo Rovers appeal to the local community to avert a crisis, the locals get on board and save the club.

I hope it's not too late.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Not sure the point of fans of other teams contributing to save Waterford United if only 268 locals bother their arses going to see them play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    It's simple disillusionment I'd say as we've won very few home games for last 2 and a bit seasons and after 9 years in first division the crowds are down to the hardcore few hundred. Also ticket prices were put up to 15 euro from 10 euro before season started and there's been no improvement in results(up to last night anyway) to justify this. Hopefully some more will turn up for next home game after last nights win. I can't argue with your point White Horse. It's up to Waterford public to get behind the club if they want to keep it going.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Its probably not fair to compare 2 clubs but Dundalk's 7 years in the 1st Division and crowds stayed around the 1000 mark. Even under McCaffrey many took a hit to try and see the club through by still going to games and supporting fundraising. It must be soul destroying and damaging for fundraising when even after an do or die appeal yields 268 fans in the gate. As WH says what is the point of other clubs' supporter digging deep when Waterford itself is so indifferent. Sad all round to see such a demise!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts
    I don't see how Waterford can continue for much longer with that much debt and so little income.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Only 268 at RSC tonight as well. Very poor response from locals to club in trouble.
    There was more despite that been the official number, nothing to be proud of though - turnstiles were closed come kick off. Myself and a number of others had to go in the gateway for vehicles manned by a steward and others also told me they'd to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Not sure the point of fans of other teams contributing to save Waterford United if only 268 locals bother their arses going to see them play.
    The poor performances at home in recent years, lack of wins and recent form as well as ticket prices for working adults been risen to €15 from €10 are mainly the factors for the low attendance.

People seem to forget we'd over 700 for a league game this season. Which was one of our highest attendance in years.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I don't see how Waterford can continue for much longer with that much debt and so little income.
    What 'debt' are you referring to? The club doesn't owe anybody the €80k. The €80k is the expected expenses the club will have for all three teams for the remainder of the year. Based on the current expenses

That's the important thing this isn't just about the senior team its also about the U17/19's whom are equally as important as the first team.
    Last edited by sulywaterfordfc; 07/05/2016 at 9:52 PM.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Amazing to see prices put up like that. We kept prices the same at €12 Terrace, €15 Stand but it was justified as the club said we were signing a premier quality squad so would charge premier prices for entry which I think was fair enough. If we cut our cloth and reduced the quality of the squad I would be expecting a reflection in the ticket costs.

Waterford at the moment is basically Limerick for the 19 years we were in the First Division. Ever year poor results, poor attendances, nearing going out of existence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    John O Shea also spoke about the clubs problems in todays Star and that he's been in contact with the club and that he'll help the club provided they show him the proper structures are in place to move the club forward.

Club officials also had a meeting with Cork on Wednesday night.
    Last edited by sulywaterfordfc; 07/05/2016 at 7:41 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast