Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April 15th/16th Fixtures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    It seems we are creating a lot but the conversion of those chances is the worry at the moment. A few home games now coming up and maximum points from those would put us right.
    I notice that Maguire was an unused sub in Galway. Is he carrying an injury?

There is no reason for Cork to panic at this stage. Shamrock Rovers are blowing hot and cold, while Dundalk have not clicked yet (assuming we will at some stage!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    The overriding feeling is one of disappointment really. Dropping so many points including 2 games (Sligo and wexford) in games we should be expecting to win is frustrating. The draw is Galway wasn't a bad result as they have had a great start to the season. Against wexford it wasn't for a lack of creativity or effort as we could've blown them out of the water in that second half. It seems we are creating a lot but the conversion of those chances is the worry at the moment. A few home games now coming up and maximum points from those would put us right.
    What surprised us was the level of intensity of the Cork performance last month in oriel park, not sure you fully deserved the win but it was some display. I'll give you that. You got at us right from the go, had two shots on target, one a penalty but to be fair, give credit where it's due, you closed the game out, we created very little in the last 20.

It's backing it up though after that, which was the surprise, I was expecting Cork to stamp their authority on teams after oriel park and lay down a marker, that hasn't happened. I think Dundalk are punching a little lower than last season but I'm not sure any side has shown anything that would suggest they are better. We'll know more after one round of games and we were not nearly there yet.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Better from Pats on Friday, high pressing from our midfield and fullbacks to win the ball back quickly, much better passing (and forward passing) and clinical in front of goal.

Great having Hoare and Desmond back, Conan back in the goals, McGrath coming off the bench and Fagan being Fagan. All positives.

Wexford were pretty poor tho so we won't be getting too excited just yet.

On Cork, I understand Caulfield's thinking of win your home games and don't lose you away games, the only problem being if you start slipping up at home (which they did against Wexford) you then have to go and win some big away games otherwise you start falling down the table. It puts a lot of pressure on games in Turners Cross now on a Cork side would should be capable of beating most teams away from home if they were let off the leash
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quite a frustrating night for ourselves at CCS.
    Dominated the game, with miles more possession, but we were completely lacking in the final third. Missing a penalty, hitting the woodwork and general sloppiness in the box cost us. The penalty, BTW, was one of the worst you'll see this season. We consistently failed to trouble Skinner the whole night.
    Poor marking for the Longford goal too, really should be doing better from set pieces.
    Our goal from Paddy McClean was something special. Ridiculous shot. Then Barry McNamee had a great chance to win it at the end. Will want to see that again as I genuinely thought I'd have been capable of scoring from there.

Fair play to Longford though, obviously a vast improvement from how they've been playing previously. Deserved the point.
    For all our disappointment though, it's some change to be leaving an away match frustrated at only getting a point. Back in October we lost 4-2 at CCS, some difference since then.

Regading CCS, is that the new away section in the corner towards the town? I noticed some Derry fans still went to the main stand. Can't say I have a preference for either side, but would be no craic to be in the open if it was raining.
    Have you ever won the treble?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    By all accounts from Galway a draw was a fair result?
    Probably, but we gave up and own goal and Dooley's goal was very good, but he was let run at us, not that he didn't have a lot to after that.

Should have won it but Podge hit the crossbar. Left Terryland very disappointed. Shows how far they've come in terms of what we expect of them.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    On Cork, I understand Caulfield's thinking of win your home games and don't lose you away games, the only problem being if you start slipping up at home (which they did against Wexford) you then have to go and win some big away games otherwise you start falling down the table.
    You would have to go back to 2010 to find the rare occasion that an average of two points per game (home win / away draw) would have won the league. On most occasions (and in most leagues) that would be likely to leave you around 3rd place.

A top three finish with European qualification may be relatively successful, but it is hardly likely to satisfy the Cork sport.

Caulfields caution could cost him his job if it conintues

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Quite a frustrating night for ourselves at CCS.
    Dominated the game, with miles more possession, but we were completely lacking in the final third. Missing a penalty, hitting the woodwork and general sloppiness in the box cost us. The penalty, BTW, was one of the worst you'll see this season. We consistently failed to trouble Skinner the whole night.
    Poor marking for the Longford goal too, really should be doing better from set pieces.
    Our goal from Paddy McClean was something special. Ridiculous shot. Then Barry McNamee had a great chance to win it at the end. Will want to see that again as I genuinely thought I'd have been capable of scoring from there.

Fair play to Longford though, obviously a vast improvement from how they've been playing previously. Deserved the point.
    For all our disappointment though, it's some change to be leaving an away match frustrated at only getting a point. Back in October we lost 4-2 at CCS, some difference since then.

Regading CCS, is that the new away section in the corner towards the town? I noticed some Derry fans still went to the main stand. Can't say I have a preference for either side, but would be no craic to be in the open if it was raining

That's been the main away section since last season for league games and for the last 3/4 seasons when we drew Rovers and Bohs in the cup. I enquired about this earlier in the season as last season some supporters were let directly behind the goals. I was told it depends on who Longford are playing. For the likes of Dundalk who bring large support they are put into that closed off section. For the likes of Rovers and Bohs they are in there too, but for different reasons. I think the reason Derry were in there last weekend was because of the trouble that kicked off between their own supporters at the last game last year. If its raining the likes of Dundalk, Cork, Sligo and any other team where there's no history of trouble are allowed into the first section in the stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well I'm sure whoever asked them over knows who they are.

But I doubt those are the people who'd want to see them banned.
    Would be easier to identify if they brought the BBC cameras with them like Rovers Man City / EDL 'friends'

On the match, Bohs were very poor, little in it until the goal on HT and the second goal early in second half killed it off. Rovers were definitely more' up for the game' and deservedly won. The handbags from a few idiots took away from what was an excellent crowd on the night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    I think the reason Derry were in there last weekend was because of the trouble that kicked off between their own supporters at the last game last year.
    Aye, thought as much. The stewards were definitely more 'attentive' than usual, but they were sound about and there was a bit of craic with them. It's just annoying when those scumbags try to ruin it for the rest of us.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Bohs statement - http://bohemianfc.com/?p=10058

Bohemian FC wish to reiterate our total condemnation of the incidents that interrupted Friday’s Dublin derby with Shamrock Rovers at Dalymount Park.
    The club has worked tirelessly in recent years to strengthen our relationship with the local community and many community groups in an effort to make Dalymount a welcoming and sociable home for all.
    It is deeply disappointing to the many volunteers of Bohemian FC that a one-off incident of idiocy and thuggery by a tiny minority has overshadowed those efforts.
    The Jodi Stand, which is the main stand at Dalymount and houses Bohemians fans, was close to a sell-out and we would like to thank our true fans for their continued support and for remaining calm throughout what was a brief but extremely regrettable incident.
    As well as disrupting the game and damaging the image of our proud club, this incident will cost us financially.
    Attempts to identify the individuals involved are ongoing and we will work closely with club members and supporters, our stewarding team, the FAI and An Gardaí Síochana to establish their identities.
    We note today’s indication by the FAI to charge the club for Friday’s incidents and appeal for anyone with footage, photos or any other information that could assist these efforts to come forward and contact the club(info@bohemians.ie or 01 8680 923).
    Anyone identified as engaging in violent acts in the ground will be banned from attending our games.
    Our initial attempts over the past two days to identify culprits suggest that many of those involved are not regular attendees at our games.
    These people do not represent our club or our true support, who are incensed that they would seek to hijack and disrupt the special sporting occasion of a Dublin derby.
    Bohemian FC will be making no further comment on this incident until we have exhausted our own investigations and have further liaised with the FAI and An Gardaí Síochana.

Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

11. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I notice that Maguire was an unused sub in Galway. Is he carrying an injury?

There is no reason for Cork to panic at this stage. Shamrock Rovers are blowing hot and cold, while Dundalk have not clicked yet (assuming we will at some stage!).
    More like lukewarm and cold for Rovers at this stage. Bohs game we were second best until the goals either side of half time, but we showed a level of clinical finishing we haven't for a long time, even against the weaker teams. Dundalk and Cork will be a big step up, although I assume the Cork game will be the usual 0-0.

Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Would be easier to identify if they brought the BBC cameras with them like Rovers Man City / EDL 'friends'
    Bringing the BBC cameras was an unusual step alright, even for Rovers' brains faction. I'm sure you're looking forward to their second appearance of the season in October as much as I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    More like lukewarm and cold for Rovers at this stage. Bohs game we were second best until the goals either side of half time, but we showed a level of clinical finishing we haven't for a long time, even against the weaker teams. Dundalk and Cork will be a big step up, although I assume the Cork game will be the usual 0-0.
    I suspect the Derry result and performance is in the cold category.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Rovers against teams ahead of them; played 2, lost 2, scored 0, conceded 5

So yeah, Dundalk would be a step up from Bohs. Even with their long injury list
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Fenlon takes whinging to a new level -He is an expert at how to take offence

Banner taunts driving Rovers ahead of vital Dundalk clash
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34649600.html

This may be out of context, but it sure is an hilarious quote

"That was disappointing, I think. They won the league at Tallaght. We know that. I thought that was disrespectful to us but that's the way that football is. I have huge respect for Stephen, the players and the staff there but these things happen in football. We just have to deal with it but it was disappointing."
    Dundalk fully intend to be disrespectful again tonight
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 22/04/2016 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    TBF, I wouldn't call that slogan disrespectful, minnowism comes to mind before that.

The slogan would nearly massage Shamrock Rovers ego a bit, like it was a huge achievement to win it there.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    TBF, I wouldn't call that slogan disrespectful, minnowism comes to mind before that.

The slogan would nearly massage Shamrock Rovers ego a bit, like it was a huge achievement to win it there.
    I cringed at that poster, but it was a CX+ organised event.

I can't believe Fenlon would bring it up. Have some self-respect. Rovers are supposed to be a "big club".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I cringed at that poster, but it was a CX+ organised event.

I can't believe Fenlon would bring it up. Have some self-respect. Rovers are supposed to be a "big club".
    Ah fair enough. I thought Dundalk were behind it. I would've had the same reaction as yourself.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    Ah fair enough. I thought Dundalk were behind it. I would've had the same reaction as yourself.
    Its the words of a song, nothing got to do with having a dig at Rovers....

Before the game it was "2 in a row and we will win it in Talla"

When it was over it was "2 in a row and we did it in Talla"

If it was Derry away we won, the song would have been "2 in a row and we did in Derry"

Rovers really hated us winning there last year! Lets rub it in again tonight!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Rovers would hate anyone winning a league in Tallaght bar themselves so Dundalk are not special in that regard. Bohs winning the league in Tallaght now that would sting! Still cringe at that banner especially 'Talla', regardless of it being part of what would loosely be called a song. If it was in Derry that poster would unlikely to have appeared so yep was a back handed compliment to Rovers and as minnow like as Drogheda having billboards in Dundalk announcing their league purchase in 2007!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    What was with the 'Talla' - was it some sort of deliberate barb or was the guy who made it just simple?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast