Page 135 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 3069

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post

Going out in the FAI cup at this stage doesn't really add or subtract to our fixture congestion. The FAI final will be the Sunday after our away trip to St. Petersburg. A day trip to the Aviva is very special and last year was our first final in 13 years and trip to Lansdowne road since 93. So a day trip to a final is a very special occasion.
    Agreed. Putting out the best side possible tomorrow and going for the win is a non brainer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Would be much more impressive if you said you'd were off to "see shels" instead!!
    It would be the shortest marriage in history if I told her we were off to Tolka for the Honeymoon. Sure we'll 'see shels' a plenty soon, when we both said 'I Do' and become partners for life!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Dundalk don't care how Alkmaar or Maccabi do against each other. That is out of our control
    Exactly. Whatever happens, happens. Dundalk can control their own destiny, they shouldn't be worrying about the others.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    It would be the shortest marriage in history if I told her we were off to Tolka for the Honeymoon. Sure we'll 'see shels' a plenty soon, when we both said 'I Do' and become partners for life!
    Heartiest congrats on the nuptials.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    im really curious how Kosovo changes things. Does it drag NIRL down with them or give someone a bye into the QR2....?
    It won't change things from Dundalk's point of view (assuming they win the league) as every club from Kosovo will have a co-efficient of 0.000 and therefore be below Dundalk. It just means there will be 10 teams in the First Qualifying Round next season, as opposed to 8 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar
    Exactly. Whatever happens, happens. Dundalk can control their own destiny, they shouldn't be worrying about the others.
    Sure, they'll have no direct influence on those results, but that doesn't mean there aren't results in the matches involving Maccabi and AZ that are objectively beneficial to Dundalk and that they can hope for. The whole concept of group football ensures that other teams' performances against each other come into play.

It should be noted that Dundalk are ahead of both AZ (by virtue of goals scored away from home) and Maccabi (due to beating them) in the head-to-head rankings which come into play when they're level on points. Assuming Zenit go on and win their remaining matches, which is by no means a certainty, I feel 2 draws between AZ and Maccabi would be ideal. It would leave AZ on 3 points and Maccabi on 2 points. Means that even if AZ beat Dundalk in Game 5, Dundalk won't be eliminated and will have to beat Maccabi, but Maccabi will be eliminated so they may take their foot off the gas in the final game (not that it looked like they had it on in the last game!).

Failing that, I think a win for AZ v Maccabi and a draw between them in the second game would be best. It would leave AZ a point ahead of Dundalk before they come to Dublin with Zenit still to play, and Maccabi again already eliminated by the final match. Of course, Zenit could well start to relax as well in the last game or two if already assured of first place handing 'easier' points to AZ and Maccabi.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Is it next year the whole CL qualifying structure is changing though?

That'll change things a fair bit.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Interesting interview with Ronan Finn on Dundalk FM. Each Dundalk player gets an individualised DVD and dossier of the opposition and of the tactical approach they and the team will employ. Finn said it's like being back in university. I wasn't aware of the extent of the preparation that goes into these games.
    A friend of a friend is on MON's staff and told me that for Dundalk's European games MONs analysts have been brought in free of charge and done tonnes of opposition scouting and analysis for dubdalk. They would have been the ones who provided Dundalk with the DVDs etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I'm not sure the point your trying to make is valid. Dundalk have now played 8 Euro games this season, granted 2 are group matches but I think the record of P8 W2 L2 D4 would have to be a accepted as one of the better Irish performance, of recent times.

Also this included wins v BATE and thurs night v a top Israeli side, not to mention away draws against the Polish and Icelandic champions and a top 4 Dutch side.

Edit: fixed about Macabi comment, forgot they didn't win the Israeli league.

Shelbourne were an excellent side back in 2004, there is no doubt about that, but probably their stand out euro win was 3-2 at home to Hajduk Split, possibly after beating Glentoran?
    Is it much better than our record of 2 wins 2 draws and 2 losses from our 6 games this summer?

It's the performances that stand out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Is it much better than our record of 2 wins 2 draws and 2 losses from our 6 games this summer?

It's the performances that stand out.
    I agree that the performances are the stand out feature.

By the way, I don't subscribe to comparing teams who played in different eras.

The most successful team in Europe remains Jim McLaughlin's Dundalk who went so close to meeting Real Madrid in the quarter final of the European Cup.

However, I remember that team and they were nowhere near the level of this Dundalk side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Edit: Sort of wrong thread

I'll leave the Euro stuff.

The result also pretty much finalises the European Qualifiers (though the CL spot is still to be decided). Sligo are 11 points back with a game in hand. 11 points in 5 games is nigh on impossible to make up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JayC90 View Post
    For the week that's in it, I've decided to take a look at the likelihood of Dundalk being seeded in the Champions League Second Qualifying Round next season if they go on and win the league, or what they need to do in the remaining Europa League matches to ensure they're seeded. Obviously quite early to analyse it fully and there are a lot of different permutations, but will be something to keep an eye on over the coming weeks as some of the other summer leagues finish up.

To be seeded, they will need 22 teams with a lower co-efficient than themselves to qualify for next season's Champions League (assuming Kosovan clubs meet the UEFA licensing criteria as expected). I've listed the lowest ranking leagues in order below, and included all the clubs (if any) in those leagues that have a higher co-efficient than Dundalk. Dundalk's current co-efficient is 5.815. Another draw will give them 6.865 and another win will give them 7.915. I've included the other summer season leagues whose champions have been or will be decided soon at the bottom.

• Kosovo - None
    • San Marino - None
    • Andorra - None
    • Gibraltar - None
    • Faroe Island - None
    • Wales - None
    • Malta - None
    • Lithuania - Zalgiris 5.825
    • Northern Ireland - None
    • Luxembourg - None
    • Armenia - None
    • Montenegro - None
    • Estonia - None
    • Macedonia - None
    • Latvia - None
    • Georgia - None
    • Bosnia - None
    • Albania - Skenderbeu Korce 6.800
    • Finland - HJK Helsinki 10.530. HJK in 1st place by 2 points ahead of IFK Mariehamn (2.030) with 3 matches to play.
    • Iceland - FH 6.175 already champions
    • Moldova - Sheriff Tiraspol 11.150
    • Hungary - Videoton 8.650, Debrecen 6.900
    • Slovakia - Slovan Bratislava 7.350, Trencin 6.850, Spartak Trnava 6.850, MSK Zilina 5.850
    • Slovenia - Maribor 21.125
    • Kazakhstan - Astana 14.650, Aktobe 7.400, Shaktyor Karagandy 6.900. Astana in 1st place by 4 points ahead of Kairat (5.400) with 5 matches to play.
    • Bulgaria - Ludogorets Razgrad 31.025
    • Serbia - Partizan Belgrade 16.075, Vojvodina 9.075, Red Star Belgrade 7.325
    • Azerbaijan - Qarabag 14.850, Neftchi 9.600, Qabala 7.600, Inter Baku 5.850
    • Cyprus - APOEL 19.910, Apollon Limassol 10.410, Omonia 7.910, AEL Limassol 7.910, AEK Larnaca 5.910
    • Israel - Maccabi Tel Aviv 19.975, Maccabi Haifa 7.975, Hapoel Tel Aviv 7.975, Hapoel Beer Sheva 7.475, Hapoel Kiryat Shmona 7.475

• Norway - Rosenborg 12.665 already champions
    • Sweden - Malmo 16.945, Elfsborg 10.445, AIK 9.945, Gothenburg 7.945, Helsingborg 6.945. Malmo in 1st place by 1 point ahead of IFK Norkopping (4.945) with 6 games left.
    • Belarus - BATE 29.475, Dinamo Minsk 10.975, Shakhtyor Saligorsk 7.475. BATE in 1st place by 15 points with 7 matches to play.

That means at this point there are 16 teams guaranteed to be below them. Another draw in the Europa League would bring that up to 19 guaranteed, and a win up to 20. In addition to this, the Finnish, Swedish and Slovakian Leagues look the most promising at this early stage to be won by clubs with a lower co-efficient, and there's always a chance of a wildcard from the higher-ranked leagues.

It seems very likely that if Dundalk don't claim any further Europa League results they will miss out on seeding, and while another win won't even guarantee seeding I think it makes it fairly probable.

If Cork win the league of course, then I've just wasted an hour of my Friday night...
    Great post, thanks. I presume you're ignoring Austria, Croatia and Poland as it's a safe bet they'll be seeded? Has to be noted that clubs from any league still active in Europe still have the chance to bump up their coefficient (like Dundalk). It does look like we'd need another point or two though.
    Last edited by seand; 03/10/2016 at 9:46 AM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Dundalk don't care how Alkmaar or Maccabi do against each other. That is out of our control
    It being out of your control doesn't mean you don't care though, surely?

You think Dundalk have no preference over the sides drawing with each other twice, or one side beating the other twice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    It being out of your control doesn't mean you don't care though, surely?

You think Dundalk have no preference over the sides drawing with each other twice, or one side beating the other twice?
    I care, and I would like two draws if you don't mind. Ta.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    adding to your analysis is Bert's seeding for this year where Dundalk's current seeding would have seen them seeded just below dinamo tblisi... obviously things are different evey year and Bert's site doesnt show seedings for previous years to get an average...interestingly theres a jump from the 5.8 to 7 and then to 10...

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/...eedcl2016.html
    You get an idea of the seeding coeff in the 2nd qual draw from the relevant season's CL qual wiki page. In this season's draw the seeding cut off coeff. was 5.400.
    In 2014/15 the seeding cut off coeff was similar
    With another draw probably Dundalk will be home and dry inside seeding territory for the 2nd round draw, should they be the LOI title holders.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I assume they've lowered their standards then because they didn't spunk a couple of hundred grand or whatever it was on a temporary stand out of solidarity with the construction industry.
    It's also possible that SR did not make an adequate appeal but just assumed they had to follow the orders.
    That was 2011/12 season.
    Pats moved their 3rd rd 2nd leg EL qual to Tallaght.
    KR played their 3rd rd 1st leg EL qual at home, only 1400 seats, less than Richmond Pk.
    It's possible (unlikely though) that dispensation from the standard was granted by Uefa on a random basis in 2011, but surely someone at Pats would have seen that KR had already received dispensation and asked why not us, why can't we play at home?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    No tickets available on Ticketmaster all day.

In addition, another protest planned for Tallaght Stadium on Thursday.

http://irishsyriasolidaritymovement....-20th-october/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    In addition, another protest planned for Tallaght Stadium on Thursday.

http://irishsyriasolidaritymovement....-20th-october/

Ah here. I'm beginning to feel it's us and not them! Can't wait to see who's going to protest at the AZ game.

I've no doubt though that it will be the exact same protesters outside the ground on Thursday that were there before the Maccabi game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Ah here. I'm beginning to feel it's us and not them! Can't wait to see who's going to protest at the AZ game
    It will be the legalise weed crowd of course!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    William of Orange has had an easy time of it lately. Well overdue a protest.
    You've got no fans.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,347 Posts
    Likely will be too stoned to turn up.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.