Page 134 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 3069

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2016

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I remember the Shamrock Rovers team of the mid 80s. Drogheda had just won the League Cup and paraded the trophy before the home game against Rovers at United Park. Rovers then proceeded to beat us 6-0. (Or possibly even 7-0? - it's a distant memory). However, that Rovers team never really did the business in Europe.
    Shelbourne in 2004 were a decent side, no doubt about it. However, having been at the game in Tallaght on Thursday, I think this Dundalk team is the best of the lot. They also seem to be getting better and better in Europe. Having watched them quite a bit, I felt they took an awful battering in Belarus and were lucky to get away with a 1-0 defeat. Also, they had some dodgy moments in the earlier qualifying round in Iceland. (I didn't see the home game against Bate). I was at the match against Legia in Dublin, and thought they played well, and were a bit unlucky to lose. But they were just phenomenal against Macabbi. To play a possession-based passing game as well as they do, and to carry it with it with such skill and consistency on the European stage is unprecedented for an Irish team. Stephen Kenny deserves a vast amount of credit.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Interesting match report in The Times.

And therein lies the secret to Dundalk’s success. That ability to be tactically flexible – to make the pitch big when they have possession and small when they don’t – is a hallmark to Kenny’s tactical intelligence.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ki...dd5335938d851f

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Hold on a minute. If I'm reading correctly. Ger got married yesterday and no one picked up on it.

Congratulations sir.
    Cheers Man! One of my mates at the Wedding said it to me in passing around 11pm. Course I then said it to the lovely bride later, who gave me a look, like she was starting to regret saying 'I do'. I've already complained several times that I'll be missing the Derby due to the Honeymoon. I'm on thin ice...

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    Honeymoon is going well I reckon.
    Off to the Seychelles in the morning!

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    She sells?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Shelbourne in 2004 were a decent side, no doubt about it. However, having been at the game in Tallaght on Thursday, I think this Dundalk team is the best of the lot. They also seem to be getting better and better in Europe.
    How do we make a fair comparison between the First Round of the old UEFA Cup and the current Europa League group stage?

Bohemians '00, Shelbourne '04 and Derry City '06 were drawn against seeded clubs in the First Round of the UEFA Cup.

The group stage affords 2 unseeded teams from the old system the opportunity to play each other. Dundalk beat a team on Thursday who would have been unseeded in the old format. They have done better than Shamrock Rovers '11 in that regard.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Dundalk have moved up to 227th in the latest uefa rankings

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Interesting interview with Ronan Finn on Dundalk FM. Each Dundalk player gets an individualised DVD and dossier of the opposition and of the tactical approach they and the team will employ. Finn said it's like being back in university. I wasn't aware of the extent of the preparation that goes into these games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Interesting interview with Ronan Finn on Dundalk FM. Each Dundalk player gets an individualised DVD and dossier of the opposition and of the tactical approach they and the team will employ. Finn said it's like being back in university. I wasn't aware of the extent of the preparation that goes into these games.
    The preparation that Pat Dolan used to put into European games is legendary. It's the way it should be done though. Actually, during the interview by Stephen Bermingham after our U19 game away to HJK this week, it sounded like we had all the info on their players too. It's brilliant really.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    The preparation that Pat Dolan used to put into European games is legendary. It's the way it should be done though. Actually, during the interview by Stephen Bermingham after our U19 game away to HJK this week, it sounded like we had all the info on their players too. It's brilliant really.
    Even more so to do it U19 level. The level of professionalism been shown by players and coaches is very impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Would be much more impressive if you said you'd were off to "see shels" instead!!

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    And yet Brian Kerr got slaughtered as Ireland manager for trying to do similar things, including by some who should have known better (stand up Richard Dunne- have never had much time for him since that.) if Stephen Kenny ever does become Ireland manager let's hope he never tries any of that oul preparation nonsense on our mega star internationals, eh ?
    Last edited by TonyD; 01/10/2016 at 8:39 PM.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

17. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    the question then is are Dundalk rooting for Alkmaar to destroy Maccabi, leaving them out for the count with no motivation for the final game or for Maccabi to nick some points off Alkmaar making the group more even...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    adding to your analysis is Bert's seeding for this year where Dundalk's current seeding would have seen them seeded just below dinamo tblisi... obviously things are different evey year and Bert's site doesnt show seedings for previous years to get an average...interestingly theres a jump from the 5.8 to 7 and then to 10...

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/...eedcl2016.html

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    im really curious how Kosovo changes things. Does it drag NIRL down with them or give someone a bye into the QR2....?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    are Dundalk really aiming for the Treble or would they not just give themselves a break with the FAI cup... focus on the league and being seeded next year and continuing their run. (one good year in Europe doesnt do much overall as seen by Rovers and Pats)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I read an article on preparation similar to that by Shamrock Rovers under O'Neill in '11.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    the question then is are Dundalk rooting for Alkmaar to destroy Maccabi, leaving them out for the count with no motivation for the final game or for Maccabi to nick some points off Alkmaar making the group more even...
    Dundalk don't care how Alkmaar or Maccabi do against each other. That is out of our control
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Surely the ideal result there is a draw? Would leave Dundalk in second place still regardless of their result against Zenit. Likewise, a draw in that return game too, that even with another two losses to Zenit, Dundalk would still be in second place going into their final two games.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    are Dundalk really aiming for the Treble or would they not just give themselves a break with the FAI cup... focus on the league and being seeded next year and continuing their run. (one good year in Europe doesnt do much overall as seen by Rovers and Pats)
    what treble?

I don't think we count the Jim Malone cup as a proper trophy.

Going out in the FAI cup at this stage doesn't really add or subtract to our fixture congestion. The FAI final will be the Sunday after our away trip to St. Petersburg. A day trip to the Aviva is very special and last year was our first final in 13 years and trip to Lansdowne road since 93. So a day trip to a final is a very special occasion.
    Long Live King Kenny