Page 132 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 3069

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    No team can squander that many chances against a technically superior team and hope to win.

Agreed, we'll have to bear that in mind when we find a technically superior team to play against

Unbelievable night, unbelievable performance. Just wish we had Horgan on a 5 year contract. Kenny's team just keep exceeding expectations. Hard to believe Chris Shields captained Dundalk to a 7-0 loss at the same venue four year and one day before. Now he looks comfortable in EL groups, likewise the likes of Gartland, Massey, Gannon and Boyle who nobody else in the league wanted in 2013.

And Dundalk have now won as many European games at Tallaght as Shamrock Rovers!
    Last edited by seand; 30/09/2016 at 9:33 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    A sell-out crowd of 5,543 crowd in Tallaght Stadium last nights according to BBC Sport News.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    No, they're not allowed.
    Why is that - if Rovers could do it a few years ago?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    And the coefficient..... Ireland are up to 37th from 41st. Unlikely that Dundalk will drag Ireland up any further but no country below 37 is still active, so we won't drop from there.

Dundalk's provisional coefficient is up to 5.815- potentially enough to be seeded in our first game in the CL next season, if we qualify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Other way of looking at it is Zenit beat Maccabi 4-0 in the space of 15 minutes (granted, against ten men) and beat Alkmaar 5-0 last night - so they're well able to rack up the goals when they want.

If Dundalk were going to qualify from this group, it was always going to be with one team (probably Zenit) winning all six, and the runner-up qualifying on a low points tally. And so far, that's what's happening.
    Oh yeah, for sure, I was just looking at the fact that a relatively ordinary side went into a 3-0 lead against them. In that context maybe a draw isn't out of the question, in the home game anyway. Dundalk should probably try to go up 4-0 though just to be sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Why is that - if Rovers could do it a few years ago?
    Dundalk have already asked for dispensation to play in a stadium with less than 8,000 seats so apparently they can't ask for another dispensation for temporary seating

They are very expensive too. It'd just about cover it's cost if the sold it
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    If Dundalk were going to qualify from this group, it was always going to be with one team (probably Zenit) winning all six, and the runner-up qualifying on a low points tally. And so far, that's what's happening.
    For Dundalk to qualify it certainly does not require Zenit to win all of their six matches - winning the four against Maccabi and Alkmaar would be fine though.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Without being over emotional it's at Moments like this i look towards the heavens and say Hello & thank you to my oul mate Dunny(rip) above and have a good chortle with him This is incredible.
    This really is some team,should have won by more to.
    No league either in the country which make the result all the more unbelievable.
    Will still be drunk for the Derry game on Sunday after this! Yeehaaaaaa!!!
    Couldn't get to see it last night and all I was thinking of was Dunny as the result came through.

RIP lad and thanks to the town for this European journey!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

10. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    For Dundalk to qualify it certainly does not require Zenit to win all of their six matches - winning the four against Maccabi and Alkmaar would be fine though.
    Effectively the same thing.

But while Dundalk keep on exceeding expectations, it's hard to see how they'll take a point off Zenit, who are a serious step ahead of either AZ or Maccabi (as their results have shown)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Fine yes, but also impossible.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    I presume he means Zenit to win all four v Maccabi and Alkmaar, which is possible.

They don't have to win their two against Dundalk, as I'd added.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Bar Dundalk.
    Dundalk were the technically superior team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I think he means in total.

so 120k with the 360k plus the 7.1mil or whatever it was.
    I think Dundalk have taken in just over 6M to date from the euro run, 6.2M is the figure I heard after last nights 360k was added in. The most interesting part of the windfall is the club have taken in almost half a million from two games in the group (so far) compared to 100k for winning the 2014 league, I think that's increased to 120k now, still an incredible figure.

Based on the first two performances there is scope to collect even more money from this group, qualifying in second place is achievable but it will still be very difficult.

On the match itself, there were fantastic performances all over the park, McEleney and Finn were excellent and Shields was just superb in O'Donnell's role, and still he isn't guaranteed a first team spot. The defence is looking rock solid, and Rogers wasn't really troubled that much last night as a result.

Bit of a break now, next EL match not for 3 weeks, home to Zenit, now that will be a tasty one.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I was working through the night and never got to see the game and only heard the result when I finished work. massive congrats to dundalk what a performance. really looking forward to seeing the game on sky+ over the coming days.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    I only found out at my Wedding last night. This is some serious team. To be doing this on 3 fronts is quite simply, phenomenal.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Dundalk are better than I had given them credit for and they are still improving with every game at this level.

Previous to Dundalk in the EL group stage, did no LOI club ever actively apply for a dispensation from Uefa to use their home ground even if it fell short of the written criteria for category 3 and category 4?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Rovers enquired about a dispensation and were told it wasn't possible. They got a dispensation for a temporary stand instead on the understanding a permanent one would be installed. Not sure why Dundalk were allowed a dispensation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Based on the first two performances there is scope to collect even more money from this group, qualifying in second place is achievable but it will still be very difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Dundalk are better than I had given them credit for and they are still improving with every game at this level.
    There is scope alright. At the same time, good teams learn and improve. AZ and Tel Aviv will naturally know a lot more about Dundalk when they meet later in the group. Both took Dundalk for granted. After a period of Dundalk pressure in the first half that led to a corner, some of the Tel Aviv players seemed to have a hissy fit. They were not expecting such a difficult night. Turning up at Tallaght probably reminded them of playing in stadia when they were U16's. Zenit will test weaknesses of Dundalk. AZ and Tel Aviv will be watching with interest. There's still obviously a lot to play for and the final group table will tell a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Previous to Dundalk in the EL group stage, did no LOI club ever actively apply for a dispensation from Uefa to use their home ground even if it fell short of the written criteria for category 3 and category 4?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Rovers enquired about a dispensation and were told it wasn't possible. They got a dispensation for a temporary stand instead on the understanding a permanent one would be installed. Not sure why Dundalk were allowed a dispensation.
    Rovers were the first Irish club to make the group stage. It would appear lessons were learned from that occasion.

Are there a number of that Rovers team in the current Dundalk team?

I would still rate Shelbourne '04 as a better team and better European performance. They lost out in the final CL qualifying round to a recent semi-finalist. There was no champions route at the time. In the first round proper of the UEFA Cup Shelbourne arguably had a tougher opponent than AZ or Tel Aviv.

The 12 years it took for another LoI team to make the final CL qualifying round and the fact that only 2 champions in the past 8 attempts have made CLQ3 are reasons for nights like last night to be enjoyed. It could be another 3 or 4 years before there is a European run like this.

I'm enjoying the positive reaction to the league from those around me. It will take consistent progress in Europe, which generate positive gimmick-free headlines for the league, to partly help improve the perception of the league. Not much changed after Shelbourne's run in '04.

I know of a few who arranged a work night out to take in the league cup final in the Market's Field. They are talking of more night in the Market's Field when Dundalk and Cork City visit next season. Limerick's return to the Market's Field has helped to build a connect. The respect earned by Dundalk and Cork then is adding to that. It's a positive development for the league's crowds if more people start to see the league as a good night out.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Are there a number of that Rovers team in the current Dundalk team?
    Four: Finn, O'Donnell, Kilduff and Gannon. The first three all played in the Europa League and Gannon was in the squad.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Dundalk should be hoping for 2 draws or one win for each team in the Alkmaar / Macaabi games. They'll be second going into the last 2 games then no matter what happens against Zenit.

Great occasion out there last night. Really impressive performance. A pleasure to be at.