Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't hit the panic button

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts

Don't hit the panic button

The amount of people who I've bumped too in Town today saying ''cousins has to go'' seems crazy in my opinion. I'm far from a fan of his but my God we are 6 games into the new season, we've been crippled with injuries and despite all that we haven't lost to any of our direct relegations rivals ie Wexford or Bray and bar the unacceptable performance in Cork, we haven't been humiliated by anyone.

When Don, Rhys and Duffy are all back on the field together I believe we will see a different team. This weekends game against Dundalk and even the week after versus Derry aren't the sort of games we are going to be judged on, once the lads show fight and try their hardest in those games that's all you can ask for, anything else would be a huge bonus. Sligo in 3 weeks time is a game we need to target, but then again if Sligo hit form before then, which they look like the might do, then it might be another tough night for us. It's the games against Bray, Wexford and Harps that will decide our future in the top flight and I fully expect (even if it's through the play offs) that we will stay up this season and that is success given all the change we've seen over the off-season. If after that the board decide tony made too many big decisions this season and they want a change then so be it but getting on the managers back after 6 games isn't going to help our current situation. I hope a large crowd turns out on Saturday and we aren't embarrassingly out numbered at home but who ever does turn out needs to get behind the lads and stick with them. Now should Dundalk go out and thump us like Cork did then people have the right to ask questions, but at this moment in time it's far too early to be talking of changes in the dugout, besides who's going to replace him? Nobody seems to have an answer to that despite all the calls for his head. This isn't me having a go at people who want him gone either, everyone should be entitled to say what the feel but this is just my view on the whole thing at the moment.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    well said Outspoken. I am down over the whole episode since the start of the season and before xmas.
    Are you going to run the same thing again in JPs before game Saturday or was that a once off?
    Dundalk are hot and cold at the moment. Having Don Cowan is a big boost to us. It might lessen the pressure on Sully and Josh a bit. I am not a TC fan either but am prepared to give him the season to prove me wrong..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Judging on Friday's performance, Josh has to be our main man up front with Sully in support. I believe in him!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    Judging on Friday's performance, Josh has to be our main man up front with Sully in support. I believe in him!
    Josh's hold up play is superb, can take the ball out of the sky and control it on his chest like its nothing. However, when I see the ball being constantly launched at him it reminds me of when we had Shaw up front and just used him as a launching pad. For a game against Dundalk though we aren't going to out pass them so maybe launching it at Josh and looking to get Sully and Dom running off him could be effective. But against the lower teams I would like to see more ball played into his feet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    well said Outspoken. I am down over the whole episode since the start of the season and before xmas.
    Are you going to run the same thing again in JPs before game Saturday or was that a once off?
    Dundalk are hot and cold at the moment. Having Don Cowan is a big boost to us. It might lessen the pressure on Sully and Josh a bit. I am not a TC fan either but am prepared to give him the season to prove me wrong..
    No I don't think il be running that this week Marty, numbers weren't great for the first one and while the atmosphere was slightly improved I don't know if a lot of those young lads will be around for this game so i guess wel just have to see how it plays out on the night

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    I see RICER has left his club up north due to work commitments, I'd have him back in a heart beat with Town

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    You would be in a minority there I would say

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    I think if you take a glance at social media youl see that's not the case

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Given that the management reportedly no longer wanted him around due to his apparent overly harsh attitude with the younger players I can't imagine there'll be any interest in bringing him back into an even younger squad. He did a good job but his legs have gone . There's a reason he had no real offers in LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Agree with what youre saying and theres no doubt his behaviour at times was OTT but i dont know how many times this seasin ive seen missed tackles and certain players pull out of tackles, that wouldnt happen with Rice around. He wont be back but we need someone to add some steel to this team.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I know you're referring to Simon 'pulling out' against Bohs but that tackle was never on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Whether or not he was guilty of it that night, it's happened quite a few times this season. Maybe the injury crisis is in the back of players minds but it was a very rare sight last season when Rice was on the field that's for sure. Everyone spoke about him and Pat Sully's disciple, we've had far more red and yellow cards already this season. I really don't understand what's going on with us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Lee Duffy back for tomorrow night it seems. Major boost

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Certainly gives another welcome option up front. If we could get some defenders back soon as well we might see an improvement. Tomorrow night has to be considered a write off but if we give them a game that'll do.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I know you're referring to Simon 'pulling out' against Bohs but that tackle was never on.
    I most certainly think that tackle was on. If you watch the clip on MNS if he had made a tackle or made an attempt to block it that cross would nvr hve come in. I had a very good view of that incident and would be confident in my judgement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    well we are bottom of the table tonight. saw the second half of Sligo Rovers game tonight and was impressed with them. They will not be bottom of the table if they keep this up. It sums up our season that Cork batter us 6-0 at home and could only draw with Youths at home tonight. I am not goin to go about it any more and will support the lads to the last but you cant argue with results like that and Youths have bein unlucky all season. Harps have bein superb this season also and I can see Harps and Youths being ahead of us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    So can I hit the panic button now?
    I think Smithers picked me because of my motivational skills.
    Everyone says they have to work a lot harder when I'm around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister X View Post
    So can I hit the panic button now?
    I am hitting the resignation button now. All I am going to say is it was our biggest loss to dundalk in 21 years since we lost to Dundalk at home in the League Cup in 08.94 when we lost 6-1 to them.The only thing that made me smile tonight was to hear the announcement over the tannoy tonight that the St Peters cup match in Tullamore was postponed due to snow!
    Last edited by Martinho II; 09/04/2016 at 11:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I'm tired of the same excuses of injuries... Yea we've players injured but the team has no depth and we're relying on Josh who will be glad to be gone in June. I've a feeling we'll be gone by then too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I'm tired of the same excuses of injuries... Yea we've players injured but the team has no depth and we're relying on Josh who will be glad to be gone in June. I've a feeling we'll be gone by then too.
    So, you believe that these two two issues are not related?

I somehow doubt Eddie Howe will be rushing to bring back Josh. I'd be confident that we'll have him for the season.

Our results against Dundalk will not define our season. It was men versus boys last night. It's how we do against the teams around us will ultimately determine our fate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast