Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: April 1st/2nd Fixtures

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    What's the record points total and goals scored in the first division? Could be smashed if things continue like this.
    Overall, the 77 points Cobh got in 2007 and the 73 goals Cork scored in 2011 are the records.

Since it became an eight team league, the 62 points Limerick got in 2012 and 63 goals Wexford scored in 2015.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    It wasn't a goal scoring opportunity whatsoever. The ball was going out for a throw in. It was a definite penalty as he fouled him in the penalty area after he knicked the ball ahead of him but no way was it a red card. Based on your logic every penalty should be a red card.

We we were decent tonight. At least we managed to put 2 halves of football together. Still though it's 2 goals from 6 games which is worrying. Have the makings of a team there but need to get a win or two on the board soon enough.

After watching Oriel last night good to see a ref not so card happy. Could easily have booked a lot.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Before the Shels game Limerick were 8/1 to go unbeaten in the league for the rest of the season and 1/9 to win the division.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Paul tuite and the Dublin media were the only person in Tallaght who missed Brandon Miele's blatant hand ball for rovers 1st goal on Friday night . Smallest crowd I've ever seen there despite Gufc having upto 200 fans there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    A game I expected Rovers to win, and they did just that.

wasn't a deliberate handball from where i was standing
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    [QUOTE=outspoken;1864732]
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post

No offence but that has nothing to do with it Marty, I ran the busses on behalf of the supporters club and last season they even chipped in when we were short for some games. It's not a section O bus, it's not a supporters club bus it's just a fecking bus for anyone who wants to take it. Don't see what difference it makes what it's branded as. The simple fact is we don't have the numbers at the moment, nothing else to it.
    fair enough point made there. had forgotten completely about contributions from supp club. suppose it goes around in cycles! for years up to the late nineties there were never away buses. suppose it has come to this stage! nothin can be done Im afraid.. if our form improves and club gets arse in gear then maybe.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    Paul tuite and the Dublin media were the only person in Tallaght who missed Brandon Miele's blatant hand ball for rovers 1st goal on Friday night . Smallest crowd I've ever seen there despite Gufc having upto 200 fans there.

Our crowd was poor,but no way did you's have 200 there!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    [QUOTE=outspoken;1864732]
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post

No offence but that has nothing to do with it Marty, I ran the busses on behalf of the supporters club and last season they even chipped in when we were short for some games. It's not a section O bus, it's not a supporters club bus it's just a fecking bus for anyone who wants to take it. Don't see what difference it makes what it's branded as. The simple fact is we don't have the numbers at the moment, nothing else to it.
    To be honest I would have little interest in getting a bus with 10 lads roaring ****ed down the back.

9. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    And the Galway media apparently. I didn't see a handball but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. Just it wasn't incredibly obvious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post

They have a couple of handyish players that with a bit of luck could move up to their parent clubs pats and bohs.
    If they're really good they'll come straight up to us (Lee Desmond), if there are still some doubts over them they'll go to our B team (Bohs). I'm really looking for to Ben Mohammed making the step up next season.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    It wasn't a goal scoring opportunity whatsoever. The ball was going out for a throw in. It was a definite penalty as he fouled him in the penalty area after he knicked the ball ahead of him but no way was it a red card. Based on your logic every penalty should be a red card.
    Firstly, my logic was that it was a clear goalscoring opportunity, not that every foul should result in a red card. Cop on and read what I've said.

If the highlights show that the ball was going out of play then fair enough, but from where we were positioned it looked like Shep had him beat and had an open goal. I'll wait until I get to see the replay tomorrow after work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    And the Galway media apparently. I didn't see a handball but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. Just it wasn't incredibly obvious.
    Galway media didn't miss it and neither did nutsy who said it was a handball after the game.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Firstly, my logic was that it was a clear goalscoring opportunity, not that every foul should result in a red card. Cop on and read what I've said.

If the highlights show that the ball was going out of play then fair enough, but from where we were positioned it looked like Shep had him beat and had an open goal. I'll wait until I get to see the replay tomorrow after work.
    Did Cork play 4-4-2 v Sligo? Noticed over the w/e that both Shephard and Maguire started, or was the former on the wing?

Is there any concern about the goals from Cork, 9 scored, but 6 were in one game, also note you have only scored 1 away in 3 games, then again it was a big win, but a penalty all the same.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    [QUOTE=L.T.F.C.;1864886]
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post

To be honest I would have little interest in getting a bus with 10 lads roaring ****ed down the back.
    I get the feeling that's the imagine people get of these 'section O' bus, they are very timid compared to what people imagine. Anyway some people prefer to drive and that's fair enough but after a long week I like to sit back with a few cans and have the craic on the way to an away game, it's all personal preference. Would be hopeful we can get something going for Sligo in a few weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Thought a draw was a fair enough result last night between Dundalk and Derry. It was a decent match, Dlk definitely the better side in long parts of the first and for the last 15 mins, but Derry took control of the MF for a good period in the second half, esp when Shields went for his second yellow, careless by him, but deserved.
    Summed up well there.
    Was worried when Dundalk went one up so early, but they didn't really push on and go for it, which was pretty surprising.
    With ourselves, thought we were alright. Held our shape well, which was going to be important, and limited the damage Dundalk were able to do. I'd say the first may have boring to watch as a neutral though.
    Second half improved as a spectacle, though I don't think Shields sending off had much to do with it. The numerical advantage wasn't all that noticeable really. Disappointed that we didn't press on after our goal, but after our red card, we'd always have taken the point.

On Sutton, pretty awful performance. 13 yellows, with two reds. Some justified, but a lot of fouls given when there was really no call. It wasn't a dirty game, though Dundalk's diving (or going down easy, to be kind) didn't help matters. Was funny to see Gerard Doherty get booked for taking ages with a goal kick. He probably wasn't even trying to waste time, that's just usual for him. We'd be 1-0 down with two minutes to go and he'd still take an eternity.

We're doing well this season, much moreso than we expected. Shields is chatting about aiming for a European spot. I think that's very ambitious. The main thing is; nine points clear of the play-off spot!
    Dundalk, IMO, looked a poorer side than that of last year. Not the same hunger and no urgency to finish the game off. Horgan was brilliant and created problems for us all night though. As mentioned, they need to win their home games.

On a side note, what's the craic with the bar at Oriel? Are we allowed in or not? Some Derry fans (the ones in the stand) were allowed in, whilst the ones in the terrace weren't initially, then were. After leaving the bar, could hear the stewards arguing about it, they seemed quite annoyed that we were allowed in. Great banter in the bar at HT too, always enjoy the craic in Oriel.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Did Cork play 4-4-2 v Sligo? Noticed over the w/e that both Shephard and Maguire started, or was the former on the wing?

Is there any concern about the goals from Cork, 9 scored, but 6 were in one game, also note you have only scored 1 away in 3 games, then again it was a big win, but a penalty all the same.
    Shepard played on the right wing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post

We'll see but seeing as he kicked the ball away from the goals I don't see how it could be a clear goalscoring opportunity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts

I can't speak for anyone else, but no not really. I'm worried about how we have performed in two away games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Summed up well there.
    Was worried when Dundalk went one up so early, but they didn't really push on and go for it, which was pretty surprising.
    With ourselves, thought we were alright. Held our shape well, which was going to be important, and limited the damage Dundalk were able to do. I'd say the first may have boring to watch as a neutral though.
    Second half improved as a spectacle, though I don't think Shields sending off had much to do with it. The numerical advantage wasn't all that noticeable really. Disappointed that we didn't press on after our goal, but after our red card, we'd always have taken the point.

On Sutton, pretty awful performance. 13 yellows, with two reds. Some justified, but a lot of fouls given when there was really no call. It wasn't a dirty game, though Dundalk's diving (or going down easy, to be kind) didn't help matters. Was funny to see Gerard Doherty get booked for taking ages with a goal kick. He probably wasn't even trying to waste time, that's just usual for him. We'd be 1-0 down with two minutes to go and he'd still take an eternity.

We're doing well this season, much moreso than we expected. Shields is chatting about aiming for a European spot. I think that's very ambitious. The main thing is; nine points clear of the play-off spot!
    Dundalk, IMO, looked a poorer side than that of last year. Not the same hunger and no urgency to finish the game off. Horgan was brilliant and created problems for us all night though. As mentioned, they need to win their home games.

On a side note, what's the craic with the bar at Oriel? Are we allowed in or not? Some Derry fans (the ones in the stand) were allowed in, whilst the ones in the terrace weren't initially, then were. After leaving the bar, could hear the stewards arguing about it, they seemed quite annoyed that we were allowed in. Great banter in the bar at HT too, always enjoy the craic in Oriel.

The general rule of thumb is, away fans going to the terrace do not gain entry to either of the two bars. For away fans going to the stand, depending on the match, they are sometimes allowed in pre match into the main bar, and at times, again depending on the game, to the upstairs bar at HT, it is rare though for any away fan to gain admission at HT.

Dundalk have not clicked into gear yet, that’s for sure, the only ‘2015’ type of performance has probably been the second half away to Pats. I think one of the reasons, apart from the obvious Towell leaving, is Kenny has yet to settle on his MF and wings, O’Donnell, Finn and Horgan are the only 3 from 5 who have started all 6 games. McEleney is only back from injury, Shields is going through his loss of form phase, Benson hasn’t started yet and might be a big player yet, right side is still between Mountney and Meenan. He has also been chopping and changing up front, so there is plenty of time for SK to fine tune his starting xi.

One thing is for sure, I don’t see any club winning the league by a big margin this season, if it is to be Dundalk & Cork as the 2 favourites, possibly Rovers not too far off, all 3 (or even a 4th) could be in contention going into the last month.

Ps I wouldn't be ruling Derry out of a euro spot as a target, no reason they can't challenge for this if their form continues, but very early days (for all clubs), we are barely into April.
    Last edited by oriel; 04/04/2016 at 1:21 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    5 points dropped already is not the best start and below expectations. If other sides had dropped 5 home points they would worry due to the previous consistency of Dundalk's results even when playing below par. Sheils has done a decent job preseason, new players in and getting the basics spot on by not being pulled out of position and keeping shape, tough to break down especially when the team playing Derry isnt firing on all cylinders. A fit McEleney will be very important to us this season, as mentioned a settled and reasonably in form striker. Attack wise Horgan and Finn are carrying other players that havent hit the ground running. Expected with Gannon and his injury.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast