Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixtures 24-26 March

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Limerick six points clear just four games in, and have +16 goal difference. Outcome looking ominous already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Excellent start by Galway, they look to be well capable of a solid mid table finish, early days mind, but the dark horse so far definitely appears to be Derry, impressive digging out a win in the last min. Going to be very tough game on Friday bow v Derry.

Not sure what's going on at a Sligo., decent win for Bray, but that's a dreadful second half collapse by Sligo, can't see Roberston working out.

Limerick appear to be head and shoulders above everyone in the FD, that could be all over by the end of the summer.
    Last edited by oriel; 26/03/2016 at 10:48 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    First clean sheet for us. Nice two nil win. Up to second now after the hardest start. Goal difference isn't in the negatives for first time in God knows how long. Rockmount on Monday now hopefully go for three wins on the spin.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Every goal Limerick score, the more annoyed I get that they got themselves relegated in the first place.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Longford are brutal, honestly, it's amazing how we only won 1-0 and it took a penalty to get the goal.

Our lack of genuine goal threat could be costly this season.

As for Longford, long season ahead for them.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I think Harps will be fairly happy with the start so far Sam? Decent win, but I hear Longford were dreadful.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    3-0 was harsh on Drogheda but you have to take your chances and they didn't.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I think Harps will be fairly happy with the start so far Sam? Decent win, but I hear Longford were dreadful.
    We're very happy, I don't think anyone will out battle us and I don't see us shipping too many big defeats but our lack of goals could be a major downfall.

We totally dominated tonight but only scrapped a 1-0 win.

Longford will have a serious battle to stay up if that's the best they can do though.

Stephen Kenny, Paddy McEleney and supposedly Darius Kearns in the crowd tonight watching. They'll be very afraid of what they saw tonight no doubt haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I thought Harps looked solid enough a few weeks ago when they played Dundalk, may have been 3-0 but you kept your shape and Dlk had to work for the two extra goals.

I'd be expecting a tough game in May, looking forward to it, my first visit, we're staying over too, based on the talk with lots fans at Pats away last thurs, going to be some crowd heading up.

What's the realistic hopes of Harps this season? I would think you should be clear of relegation, but it's very early days, a few injuries and poor results and things can obviously change very quickly. Same for most clubs though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    We're missing Sean Houstan and Barry Molloy since the Derry game, 2 massive players for us. Rafter played 45 mins on Tues night against Cockhill in the league cup so if we got those 3 back from injury we'd have a very strong side.

Finish 11th or higher would be a good season considering the resources at Ollie Horgans disposal.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Excellent start by Galway, they look to be well capable of a solid mid table finish, early days mind, but the dark horse so far definitely appears to be Derry, impressive digging out a win in the last min. Going to be very tough game on Friday bow v Derry.
    I honestly don't think so. Derry City aren't great IMO. (I'm not saying we are either).

Some very questionable tactical changes (or lack of changes, not using subs) from our manager played right into their hands at the Brandywell. A proper seasoned outfit would've seen the game out. We were very comfortable in the first half and deserving of our lead but lost a key player at half time and with certain players exhausted, Dunne waited until way too late in the game to make a change and bizarrely he didn't use his third sub. Derry City emptied their bench. We should've drawn and were sucker-punched in extra time.

I'd expect for Dundalk to beat them well.
    Last edited by Olander; 27/03/2016 at 2:36 AM.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Was there really a need to cancel the game in the first place? with only two guaranteed starters missing between both sides, and both incidentally who didn't start for the u21's.

Granted it's probably a wet day over the country today, but prob would have made more sense to play it on the Thursday night.

I don't know how you can say you can afford to give up a 4k gate which will reduce to around 3k when it's rescheduled for mid week, that's a significant loss in revenue.
    We would have been missing O' Connor and Maguire because of the u21s, and Bolger would have been suspended had the game gone ahead. Competitively, it was the right decision. Yes, it definitely means a financial hit but if the club feel we're capable of taking that hit for the sake of improving our chances of getting the 3 points, that's a good thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I'd say the cancellation of the Cork/Rovers game was motivated by Bolger's absence.

It was an understandable decision by Cork, and they should recoup some of the loss through fining Boger for his stupidity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Things could get nasty in Sligo, and very soon.
    Especially with Cork, Pars and Dundalk next 3. Thought we were better team first half but horrific in the second half (again)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Was there really a need to cancel the game in the first place? with only two guaranteed starters missing between both sides, and both incidentally who didn't start for the u21's.

Granted it's probably a wet day over the country today, but prob would have made more sense to play it on the Thursday night.

I don't know how you can say you can afford to give up a 4k gate which will reduce to around 3k when it's rescheduled for mid week, that's a significant loss in revenue.
    Firstly O'Conner started against Italy. Secondly that game was played Thursday.

Obviously the club feel as if they can afford to make this decision, or else the game would have been played

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    We are playing with in all reality a squad of about 16 players this season. Against Harps we were missing Pat Flynn, Conor Powell, Mark Rossiter, Rhys Gorman, Kevin O'Connor and Lee Duffy. At start of the season I said we'd struggle and in all likely hood be relegated but when you throw in missing those 6 players we never had a chance.

TC's decision to go with a small squad and pull from the underage teams for back up is going to backfire on him.
    Last edited by Town Legend; 27/03/2016 at 12:17 PM.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    His decision? Would you not think that it was imposed onto him given the poor home support last season, and therefore poor gate income. It appears that the budget set is realistic and the squad reflects this.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollocaine View Post
    His decision? Would you not think that it was imposed onto him given the poor home support last season, and therefore poor gate income. It appears that the budget set is realistic and the squad reflects this.
    The budget has never been based on gate receipts if it was we wouldn't have one at all. To me it looks like the money men have pulled things back a little bit after some big spending to get us out of the FD

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollocaine View Post

The attendance numbers have nothing got to do with our budget, and hasn't for the last number of years. TC admitted himself he wanted to bring the average age of the squad down from last year.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    TC's decision to go with a small squad and pull from the underage teams for back up is going to backfire on him.
    As a matter of interest, are your underage teams mostly locally based or are ye drawing players from Dublin?
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast