Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Brandywell a safe venue to visit?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Is Brandywell a safe venue to visit?

The reported "vicious attacks" on visiting Cork City supporters outside the Brandywell seems to me to be the latest in a series of incidents affecting visitors.

Stoning of supporters buses also seems to be a regular occurrence, with little or no effective police or club action to ensure the safety of visitors

Is it unsafe to visit?

An attack on a group of Cork City supporters attending last night’s Airtricity Premier Division clash with Derry City was "vicious" and "utterle disgraceful," Sinn Fein councillor for the Brandywell area, Patricia Logue, has said.
    Speaking last night, Cllr Logue paid tribute to local residents to came to the aid of traveliing fans who attacked on Brandywell Road (pictured) outside Brandywell Statidum.
    “This was a very serious situation; a small group of Cork City FC supporters were surrounded on the Brandywell Road by a mob and viciously attacked.

“They had to seek refuge in local businesses and homes.
    “I would like to commend all those local residents and members of Community Restorative Justice who came to their aid and prevented a number of people from being attacked.”
    Cllr Logue concluded: “Those who came into the Brandywell tonight and attacked the Cork supporters do not represent the people of the area or Derry City Football Club.”
    http://www.derrynow.com/news/vicious...ul-logue/79972

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    Cork fan on Facebook reckons it was blown out of proportion and tbf Derry Now is a rag ,that been said these incidents seem to be a regular occurrence there and somebody has to stand up and do something about it.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Aye, bit blown out of proportion there.
    Apparently it was a prearranged fight between the partizans or city service crew or whatever they're calling themselves. It was Derry vs Cork/Cliftonville. All very weird behaviour from a bunch of under 20s who really are lacking in intelligence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    They are directly quoting an elected representative though. So either she has to have a word with author of the piece or Cork fans did seek refuge in homes and businesses after coming under attack.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Derry City need to act now on these young lads. It's the same group of fellas involved in the mess at Finn Park last week with the flags and flare throwing onto the field, as well as reportedly going around kicking cars in the Aldi car park beside the ground.

Like it or not, and while they may not be 'real' supporters of Derry, they're going around Derry matches and causing bother and it's a situation I hope Derry sort out with the PSNI or other authorities very quickly before it gets too out of hand.

This small hooligan element is something that's totally alien to most League of Ireland supporters, and I'd hate to see it creeping into our league further.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    It's the same group of fellas involved in the mess at Finn Park last week with the flags and flare throwing onto the field.
    Might be, but not certain.

Unlike the stoning incidents, this has nothing to do with the Brandywell area.
    It was a pre-arranged fight, and would happen anywhere we were playing. The Cork bus went via Belfast to pick up Cliftonville fans. Really weird stuff, when did this become a thing?
    I'd pay little heed to that article. The elected representative likely wasn't there and is going on reports. Certainly blown out of proportion.

That being said, these morons have surfaced from their sewer on a few occasions now. It really doesn't help the club to encourage people to attend matches, makes Derry out to be a hole and generally gives the club and town a bad name.
    Really wish they'd just feck off.

The solution may be to ban the fellas from the Brandy. Though I've heard that some of them weren't even at the match, so that mightn't kill them off entirely.
    It's probably also an issue for the wider league, and also for the IL. If 'fans' are arranging fights between each other, we'll need a proper league-wide strategy to deal with these scumbags.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Shocked at Cork City being involved in this type of sub culture sad to see this going on !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I'm hearing that this was a planned dust up between two sets of "casuals" (i.e. hooligans). It's possible that the Cork fans referred to the reports were ordinary fans who got caught up in this. Both clubs need to identify who was involved in the violence and ascertain their respective roles.

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Shocked at Cork City being involved in this type of sub culture sad to see this going on !
    Although we have a problem, its a small problem but has grown over 10 years. They had to get Cliftonville fans to help boost their numbers. Some city fans go to cliftonville games (mostly in the off season). I know Shamrock Rovers and some Boh's fans also go to some Cliftonville games. Seems like they looked for trouble and got in. Iv been to Derry many times and never had trouble. I know a few city fans who were there last night and they had no problem.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Cork have had that problem years. I remember one of them getting their tiny little brain kicked in in tolka a few years back. It's a problem with a small p though because your talking about child minds who are really no danger to anyone but themselves. On the other hand its a surprise cork haven't dealt with it long go. I could probably point out six or seven of them just from going to First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC and cork games.

As for derry we've all heard the excuses and we all understand the political situation. But to quote Baron Jarry the war is over lads and it's been over for awhile. I can't see what Derry are bringing to the southern league that justifys ordinary fans of other clubs having to put up with the extraordinary situation that exists around the Brandywell. If they can't guarantee adequate policing (which they obviously can't) then they should have to play somewhere where they can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I'm reading reports on Twitter of Cork fans being attacked with "stones and batons". Unless my ear for the Derry accent is mistaken, did the councillor not say "stones and bottles"?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Doubt the local rapscallions would be carrying batons to be fair. "Bottles" is much more likely.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Cork have had that problem years. I remember one of them getting their tiny little brain kicked in in tolka a few years back. It's a problem with a small p though because your talking about child minds who are really no danger to anyone but themselves. On the other hand its a surprise cork haven't dealt with it long go. I could probably point out six or seven of them just from going to First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC and cork games.

As for derry we've all heard the excuses and we all understand the political situation. But to quote Baron Jarry the war is over lads and it's been over for awhile. I can't see what Derry are bringing to the southern league that justifys ordinary fans of other clubs having to put up with the extraordinary situation that exists around the Brandywell. If they can't guarantee adequate policing (which they obviously can't) then they should have to play somewhere where they can.
    We have gone to great lengths. I genuinely thought this problem didn't exist anymore. It surfaced about 7/8 years ago and continued for a few years. Bannings were issued and we supplied information to clubs for away games. I actually think we dealt with it quite well. There's differing reports of what happened, but generally the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. I really hope this issue isn't rearing its head again as it hasn't been a problem for a while.
    Last edited by Pablo Escobar; 12/03/2016 at 7:04 PM.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Doubt the local rapscallions would be carrying batons to be fair. "Bottles" is much more likely.
    A cork newspaper is reporting the use of "batons", it'll be ballistic missiles next.

CORK CITY fans were saved from a vicious attack after a soccer match in Derry last night. Local residents came to the fans’ aid and took them into their homes and businesses after they were suddenly surrounded by a mob armed with batons and stones.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/...edium=facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    One of them Cork lads ended up in an ambulance with his head busted open outside Thomond too our last season there after swinging a glass bottle at Limerick lads that wanted nothing to do with them. I remember Cork giving names and pictures to Limerick stewards in Jackman at one stage though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Aye, bit blown out of proportion there.
    Apparently it was a prearranged fight between the partizans or city service crew or whatever they're calling themselves. It was Derry vs Cork/Cliftonville. All very weird behaviour from a bunch of under 20s who really are lacking in intelligence.
    y
    What a load of ****e and you know it. At least have the decency to tell it as it is. No prearranged fight. This started at half time when the lads were having a pint with the locals. This group of young crack heads came into the Bar looking for a scrap. The locals and barstaff ran them out. They came back after the game, same thing happened but next time they came back there was at least 70 of them. This was witnessed by a local public rep who came onto cork radio this morning and openly apologized for the treatment meted out to the City fans. Seems this is not the first time this has happened. You have a major problem up there so face up to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    Although we have a problem, its a small problem but has grown over 10 years. They had to get Cliftonville fans to help boost their numbers. Some city fans go to cliftonville games (mostly in the off season). I know Shamrock Rovers and some Boh's fans also go to some Cliftonville games. Seems like they looked for trouble and got in. Iv been to Derry many times and never had trouble. I know a few city fans who were there last night and they had no problem.
    Get the facts before you post ****e citybone. You were put in your place on the ccfc forum over this. your totally wrong on this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    A cork newspaper is reporting the use of "batons", it'll be ballistic missiles next.

CORK CITY fans were saved from a vicious attack after a soccer match in Derry last night. Local residents came to the fans’ aid and took them into their homes and businesses after they were suddenly surrounded by a mob armed with batons and stones.
    Different kettle of fish when your bus was stoned last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

While batons were not used, a lot of them had large sticks so maybe thats where the information was misinterpeted. I sincerely hope this never happens to anyone from another club, not even the clubs I dislike/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast