Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Brandywell a safe venue to visit?

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    We have gone to great lengths. I genuinely thought this problem didn't exist anymore. It surfaced about 7/8 years ago and continued for a few years. Bannings were issued and we supplied information to clubs for away games. I actually think we dealt with it quite well. There's differing reports of what happened, but generally the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. I really hope this issue isn't rearing its head again as it hasn't been a problem for a while.
    With more reports it seems like the Cork guys were just enjoying a halftime pint when the first incident happened but when they were having after game drink a large group attacked them. Does seem very one sided and violent. Does seem the area around the Brandywell may not be fully safe. I have seen other reports before. Maybe things have gotten worse since I last visited.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    With more reports it seems like the Cork guys were just enjoying a halftime pint when the first incident happened but when they were having after game drink a large group attacked them. Does seem very one sided and violent. Does seem the area around the Brandywell may not be fully safe. I have seen other reports before. Maybe things have gotten worse since I last visited.
    So you were wrong is it? Some very disappointing comments and accusations towards the City fans on here despite all media reporting the opposite.

While incidents inside the ground can be managed by Derry stewards, general law and order outside the ground cannot be done by stewards. Only the PSNI can do this. It's about time that Derry City FC face up to this before their good name gets tarnished by these non DCFC fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Can anyone from Cork confirm whether the Cork fans involved have been banned from Turners Cross?

I read some comments to this effect but they may not be correct.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    WTF are Derry doing letting away fans out to the pub at half time anyway?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Strikeforce one thing. why where Cork Fans in the bar at Half Time, the stewards would not have allowed them for a PINT at Half Time under no circumstances. So they are either barred from attending games or they where there intent on Causing trouble.
    I would love to see fans of Derry ( my club ) take action against these youths who yr in yr out tarnish the name of our club and our City. Theres enough councillors and MP's and fans who could take action against these clowns and point them out. Every year Cork fans come to Derry and vice versa and we have an amazing relationship with each other home and away, only last yr a true Cork fan broke her leg and the fans of Derry and Cork combined to Together and take her home safely. This is what football is about coming together as one and be united to fight back against this very small minority of scum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I've been out for a pint at half time in the Brandy before. Haven't tried it in a few years but would have assumed the stewards would have no problem letting people out and back again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    It's not allowed in most grounds.

More bus windows smashed in at the Brandywell than all the other grounds combined. can happen anywhere, but does happen regularly there. Most Derry fans I know are mortified by it
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Away fans allowed out for pints at HT in the Brandywell? Terribly amateurish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Why do people want to go to the pub at half time of attending a football match? You are there to support the team not drink pints. I never quite understood the need for a rushed pint at that particular point in a game - the football is not that bleak anymore anyway.

It all comes down to alcohol in this country doesn't it?

Now, where's me slippers? Match tonight - need to grab a nap at some stage before hand.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Can anyone from Cork confirm whether the Cork fans involved have been banned from Turners Cross?

I read some comments to this effect but they may not be correct.
    Not true.

12. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I love a half time pint. The team does not need support at half time anyway.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexy View Post
    Strikeforce one thing. why where Cork Fans in the bar at Half Time, the stewards would not have allowed them for a PINT at Half Time under no circumstances. So they are either barred from attending games or they where there intent on Causing trouble.
    Derry City stewards allowed away fans out. We were also allowed back into the ground after half time by the same steward. So no, They are not either barred from attending games or they where there intent on Causing trouble. You can try pin this on Cork City fans as much as you and other supporters have been trying to do but it won't stick. A SF councillor witnessed the whole thing and has gone on record to say what happened but you still have people thinking it was some arranged fight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I love a half time pint. The team does not need support at half time anyway.
    I'm definitely on my own with those musings alright but I must say unless it was overlooking the pitch I would never be bothered. Grand at the rugby where you can sip away during the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Why do people want to go to the pub at half time of attending a football match? You are there to support the team not drink pints. I never quite understood the need for a rushed pint at that particular point in a game - the football is not that bleak anymore anyway.

It all comes down to alcohol in this country doesn't it?

Now, where's me slippers? Match tonight - need to grab a nap at some stage before hand.
    This from "Real Ale" Madrid.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I would add the caveat that you have to be able to get back in time for KO of second half. Doesn't always work out like that but mostly you get the Barca Bar and back in good time.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Might be, but not certain.

Unlike the stoning incidents, this has nothing to do with the Brandywell area.
    It was a pre-arranged fight, and would happen anywhere we were playing. The Cork bus went via Belfast to pick up Cliftonville fans. Really weird stuff, when did this become a thing?
    I'd pay little heed to that article. The elected representative likely wasn't there and is going on reports. Certainly blown out of proportion.

That being said, these morons have surfaced from their sewer on a few occasions now. It really doesn't help the club to encourage people to attend matches, makes Derry out to be a hole and generally gives the club and town a bad name.
    Really wish they'd just feck off.

The solution may be to ban the fellas from the Brandy. Though I've heard that some of them weren't even at the match, so that mightn't kill them off entirely.
    It's probably also an issue for the wider league, and also for the IL. If 'fans' are arranging fights between each other, we'll need a proper league-wide strategy to deal with these scumbags.
    I'd really love to know where this Cliftonville rumour came from. Quite a shocking accusation to make.
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    It was a pre-arranged fight, and would happen anywhere we were playing. The Cork bus went via Belfast to pick up Cliftonville fans. Really weird stuff, when did this become a thing?
    I'd pay little heed to that article. The elected representative likely wasn't there and is going on reports. Certainly blown out of proportion.
    It was a father and his son who is 16 that were picked up in Belfast who travel down to Cork 5/6 times a season, but don't let that get in the way of your attempt to push the blame.
    The elected representative was very much there, infact I was speaking to her myself during the aftermath.

To use your words '' I'd pay little heed'' to the ****e you were told by the CCFC/DCFC love in brigade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    It was a father and his son who is 16 that were picked up in Belfast who travel down to Cork 5/6 times a season, but don't let that get in the way of your attempt to push the blame.
    The elected representative was very much there, infact I was speaking to her myself during the aftermath.

To use your words '' I'd pay little heed'' to the ****e you were told by the CCFC/DCFC love in brigade.
    Next time you lot are coming to the Showgrounds, I've an uncle and aunt in Louth, would you be so kind as to pick them up?
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer View Post
    Next time you lot are coming to the Showgrounds, I've an uncle and aunt in Louth, would you be so kind as to pick them up?
    Absolutely. Fonzys taxi services to the rescue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexy View Post
    I would love to see fans of Derry ( my club ) take action against these youths who yr in yr out tarnish the name of our club and our City. Theres enough councillors and MP's and fans who could take action against these clowns and point them out. Every year Cork fans come to Derry and vice versa and we have an amazing relationship with each other home and away, only last yr a true Cork fan broke her leg and the fans of Derry and Cork combined to Together and take her home safely. This is what football is about coming together as one and be united to fight back against this very small minority of scum
    Let me tell you one thing my friend, I have been up in the Brandywell many times and have been allowed out to the Bar at half time many times. (I don't drink but friends of mine do. ) So does that answer your question. NEXT QUESTION.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast