Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI Attendances 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Noticeably more "Premier League supporters" took an interest in Dundalk's game last night.

I've said before that the league needed something like 6 weeks of positive coverage for perception to change for the better. Dundalk's great run has naturally created positive headlines over that sort of timescale.

I think Limerick's great escape last year spanned more than 6 weeks. Coupled with their return to the Markets Field, that good run up to before they faltered at the final hurdle has helped build a connect with many who hadn't been going to games.
    I agree that sustained positive exposure piques that curiosity of non regulars at games like the examples given. The frustrating thing around Dundalk is that a majority of football fans in the town would follow Dundalk if not all actively support them by turning up to Oriel Park regularly. So it isnt entirely that the increase in last nights gate was the interest of new fans or the curious EPL fan. Ive said it before that if half of those who are lapsed fans that "used to always go up to Oriel back in the day" or the "I didnt go up during the 1st Division days so I dont want to be seen as jumping on the band wagon", are added to the current regulars of 2500 or 3k you would have over 4k at every home game. There is the positive snowball effect especially with kids round town in Dundalk shirts and their friends wanting to be in on the in thing of the moment so hopefully that will create a new generation of regular supporters coming up over the years. My nephew, brought up in a hardcore GAA family from the west of Ireland and now in Dundalk has absolutely no interest in GAA no matter how hard he is pushed but he is never out of his Dundalk shirt which of course I have no complaints about. Id imagine that Sligo would be similar, Derry, Cork(though there are other sports representing the City/County that have success for the sports fan), Dublin areas too but are up against Dublin GAA and Rugby, Limerick and Munster in Thomond, Galways and the new improvement in Connacht rugby but have had Hurling and Gealic Football doing all right at times too). So get a team going in Mayo and other sporting success deprived areas and yer laughing :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Dundalk have announced €5 into the ground for everyone on Friday night v Galway for the final game as a gratitude to the fans. This is a nice touch, and it might boost the crowd a little, it probably would have been decent anyway for the trophy presentation, but fair play to them for doing this.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

3. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Putting that €5k from JD & the lads to great use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Charlie, that 5k was spent on Sunday & Monday, hence the 'tired and emotional' display on Tuesday night in Richmond.

'No Integrity' really anymore.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    It's what our glorious leader would spend it on himself

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Charlie, that 5k was spent on Sunday & Monday, hence the 'tired and emotional' display on Tuesday night in Richmond.

'No Integrity' really anymore.
    I heard the 5k went on Pats to win -2 with the Asians
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Forgive for doorstepping onto the conversation, but I'd be curious about something. What's worrying about the Pats Cork attendance is how relatively easy it should be made for a Cork supporter to get to Inchicore, and I don't mean that as a slight on the cork fan either.

A good few times I've gone to matches in Europe, travel either free or reduced rates are included in your ticket price. It is very appealing. Surely the FAI could be working with Irish Rail for the clubs that are based in towns on the rail line? Richmond is literally a 20min walk from Heuston station, Tallaght is 30 mins direct on the Luas. Dalymount will be 15 mins on the Luas from next year.
    Bar Harps and Derry, is there any club not on the train line? I know that Irish Rail ran special trains after Ireland matches to a few areas, not subsidised mind, and they were generally a success.

Ease of access is one of the reasons I get to go to so many LoI matches in Dublin. Surely making it easier for the hard-core away fans is something the FAI should be doing to help away attendances and by extension the promotion of the league?
    Irish Rail just wouldn't be interested if we're honest. The numbers involved wouldn't be worth the effort and paperwork for them.

Rail deals for an Ireland game which will attract 30-40,000 people you can understand. Most League of Ireland games are lucky to get 5% of that sort of crowd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    590 or 596 at Wexford Youths v Finn Harps. 590 is mentioned in this week's local papers but I heard 596 at the match itself.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Same for the motorways. Getting from Dundalk to Sligo, Galway, Longford involves trekking on roads that were built for a horse and cart.
    What a load of tosh - Dundalk to Galway is, bar a tiny stretch, motorway the whole way. Dundalk to Dublin on the M1, join the M50 southbound, then M6/M4 west to Galway. Just over 3 hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    What a ridiculous roundabout way to go and would not be done in 3 hrs and That'd add another 60km to the journey.

Dundalk Ardee millingar then kinegad on the.
    It's about 3:45.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    How long by spaceship?

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Or the route I suggested, which I have often taken, and it's just over 3 hours. Your suggestion is the most direct route. But it's not the quickest. By all means, travel through small towns and villages and get stuck in traffic, if that tickles your fancy. Or take the motorway. No skin off my nose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Back on topic, attendance last week at Ramblers V Drogheda was 1873. Not bad.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    What a load of tosh - Dundalk to Galway is, bar a tiny stretch, motorway the whole way. Dundalk to Dublin on the M1, join the M50 southbound, then M6/M4 west to Galway. Just over 3 hours.
    Why the feck would you drive to Dublin in order to go to Galway? The toll costs alone would be bigger than the cost of the ticket.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
    Back on topic, attendance last week at Ramblers V Drogheda was 1873. Not bad.
    Great attendance for Cobh. Attendances like that are why I would like to see the LoI trial a playoff for the final Europa League spot.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Great attendance for Cobh. Attendances like that are why I would like to see the LoI trial a playoff for the final Europa League spot.
    I hate that idea : )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Given our consistent 4th place finishing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Why the feck would you drive to Dublin in order to go to Galway? The toll costs alone would be bigger than the cost of the ticket.
    What does it matter where it is, if it's the quickest route? Your man thinks his route is 3 hours. That sounds better than the "direct" route of 3:45 that jinxy goes
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    What does it matter where it is, if it's the quickest route? Your man thinks his route is 3 hours. That sounds better than the "direct" route of 3:45 that jinxy goes
    Because driving around Dublin on a Friday evening is murder. The "direct route" is quicker at peak times and costs about €20 less in tolls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    With which teams?

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast