Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Thread: LOI Attendances 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    What if there are 10 plus points between 3rd and 4th?

Everyone accepts that the league table doesn't lie. Yet, some people keep coming up with this play-off nonsense.
    Last edited by White Horse; 29/10/2016 at 7:35 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    should be pretty easy for the team ten points ahead to back it up then?3rd place team should be allowed pick the home/away order
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I don't know why this is still a discussion. What's the point in playing a full 8 or 9 month league season if your finishing place doesn't determine who ends up playing in what competition? Why not play a full league season and then do play-offs to see who wins the league? Sure 3rd against 8th should play off to see who goes into the play off to get into the play off for avoiding the relegation play off?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Sure 3rd against 8th should play off to see who goes into the play off to get into the play off for avoiding the relegation play off?
    I think we are edging closer to the ideal solution.

Just find a way toincorporate the top first division clubs and were laughing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    Ultimately we need to ensure the best teams go into Europe.
    Call me crazy, but don't we already have that scenario with the league table determining the best teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I think we are edging closer to the ideal solution.

Just find a way toincorporate the top first division clubs and were laughing
    Cabinteely FC likes this.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Call me crazy, but don't we already have that scenario with the league table determining the best teams.
    EUFA matches are high stakes affairs played over two legs,whereas a playoff would be...
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I didn't think it was right when it was announced, I'd have thought just under 3,000, maybe 2,800, not sure where the reported figure came from.
    Wow, I'd have said the exact opposite. I thought it was much closer to the attendance at the Bohs game 4,500-5,000. They literally ran out of printed tickets, people were being waved in for free and it was just as rammed as the Bohs game. 100 less away fans maybe but I'd have thought more than for the Bohs game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The FAI commissioned report and the PCA proposal have both mentioned a Europa League playoff. I don't think it would be on the agenda if it was at the expense of cup winners or league runners-up.

As I mentioned already, if teams start off a season knowing that x number of places are for playoff positions, I think it's fair enough. At the moment 3rd place has the same reward as cup winner and league runners-up.

I'd prefer a Europa League playoff instead of reducing the Premier Division to 10 teams. When clubs need stability, I don't see the need for putting more under the threat of relegation. The current promotion-relegation system seems fine.

A Europa League playoff could be trialled to see if it boosts attendances for teams in midtable. I think the aim is to give more something to play for. With the financial rewards in Europe compared with LoI prize money, Europa League playoffs would have more value here than they would in other leagues. At the very least a club might have a near full house for the playoffs which would be the aim.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I don't really like the idea of a Euro playoff but I can see the attraction. One of the problems though is who competes.... assuming you're giving a EL place to the league runners-up and cup winners what happens if, for example, Dundalk were playing Harps in the cup final this season. Do we wait to see if Harps win the cup before deciding who's in the playoff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    There is no way a team finishing 6th in a 12 team league deserve a shot at European football. Possibly rewarding people for a season of mediocrity.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Wow, I'd have said the exact opposite. I thought it was much closer to the attendance at the Bohs game 4,500-5,000. They literally ran out of printed tickets, people were being waved in for free and it was just as rammed as the Bohs game. 100 less away fans maybe but I'd have thought more than for the Bohs game.
    I agree with this. I was very surprised when the attendance was called out. I was sure it was a good bit over 4,000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    There is no way a team finishing 6th in a 12 team league deserve a shot at European football. Possibly rewarding people for a season of mediocrity.
    It's something the powers that be and the clubs will have to iron out. The FAI report was suggesting a two team playoff. The PCA proposal was suggesting an eight team playoff!
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Probably correct, though we got relegated and got into Europe, which was great fun!

There's an argument though that third in the league isn't exactly great either. And Rovers are pretty mediocre this year, finished fourth, and are in Europe.

I think there's an argument to be made for a play-off - not saying it should be introduced; just saying there's an argument for considering it. I think particularly with European money potentially skewing smaller leagues like ours, leading to some clubs potentially monopolising European spots, a play-off could help spread the wealth a bit more and help keep a competitive league.

I don't agree that second or third should necessarily have a European place by rights - they've won nothing - but certainly they should have an advantage in any play-offs.

Cup and league winners of course should just get in to Europe with no messing.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Some people go on about the league needing to be marketed better. Dundalk naturally creating positive headlines on the field of play is the best advertising the league could get. No gimmicks, just natural respect.

There's no guarantees a play-off would boost crowds. The fact it's been mentioned in two separate proposals suggests some merit is seen in giving more teams something to play for at the end of a season.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think there's an argument to be made for a play-off - not saying it should be introduced; just saying there's an argument for considering it. I think particularly with European money potentially skewing smaller leagues like ours, leading to some clubs potentially monopolising European spots, a play-off could help spread the wealth a bit more and help keep a competitive league.
    +1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I don't agree that second or third should necessarily have a European place by rights - they've won nothing - but certainly they should have an advantage in any play-offs.
    Cork finished 8 points ahead of Derry and 15 points ahead of Shamrock Rovers. In my opinion, they have earned their spot in Europe. Why should they have to enter a play off to get that place?

A one off tie, even over two legs, can be decided by a dodgy refereeing decision, injuries, or suspensions.

The beauty of the league format is that it minimises distorting factors.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Talk of having a play off to decide European spots is a bit of a joke IMO.
    The best 3/*4 teams in the league get the spots- the rest have to improve to get there

* depending on cup winners of course.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Talk of having a play off to decide European spots is a bit of a joke IMO.
    The best 3/*4 teams in the league get the spots- the rest have to improve to get there

* depending on cup winners of course.
    Traditionally league winners entered the European Cup now Champions League, cup winners entered the Cup Winners Cup now Europa League and league runners-up entered the UEFA Cup now Europa League.

It was logical enough to grant the third Europa League spot that came along to the next best team in the league. It's not a traditional spot however. If teams start a season knowing x amount of positions means a play-off for the third Europa League spot it's fair enough, provided clubs agree to playoff in the first place of course.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Traditionally league winners entered the European Cup now Champions League, cup winners entered the Cup Winners Cup now Europa League and league runners-up entered the UEFA Cup now Europa League.

It was logical enough to grant the third Europa League spot that came along to the next best team in the league. It's not a traditional spot however. If teams start a season knowing x amount of positions means a play-off for the third Europa League spot it's fair enough, provided clubs agree to playoff in the first place of course.
    After the brief history recap, you mention logic and then present the least compelling argument ever-

That if clubs agree to a play-off system, it's fair enough!

(Cue a debate on the IAG system that all clubs agreed to)

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Cork finished 8 points ahead of Derry and 15 points ahead of Shamrock Rovers. In my opinion, they have earned their spot in Europe. Why should they have to enter a play off to get that place?
    I actually covered all that in my post, where I noted that -

(a) Cork won nothing
    (b) I don't think the idea that coming second gets you into Europe should be inviolable
    (c) If European money starts to distort the league, then a one-off tie, even over two legs, that can be decided by a dodgy refereeing decision, etc, could help keep a bit of balance within the league by trying to spread European money a bit.

As I say, I don't know if it's a compelling argument - enough to change - but it's an argument nonetheless. If the Europa League spots can be used to help promote the league through, say, a high-profile play-off, then the possibility should be considered.

Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast