Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 EA Sports Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Good battling performance tonight against what was still a quality Cork side.
    Cork started well and got their goal. I think we could have defended it better, wall was fairly weak and Gerard didn't move for it.
    Probably slightly fortunate to go into the break level. Great wee finish from McNamee.
    Second half we played a lot better, and didn't tire as I thought we would. Soaked up most of the Cork pressure well, though at the cost of a few yellows.
    I thought we were great in extra time, really dominated. Cork seemed slightly tired and lacking in ideas. Good header from Jarvis for the winner. He nearly got himself sent off for a second yellow earlier though.
    Held on after that, and really should have scored again. Patterson had a one-on-one, and then missed from what must have been a metre out towards the end.

Really poor crowd at the game though, under 1,000. Definitely the lowest crowd I've seen at TC.

Also, it really wasn't that cold. I know we're from the icy north, but we were wearing t-shirts all night.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Good battling performance tonight against what was still a quality Cork side.
    Cork started well and got their goal. I think we could have defended it better, wall was fairly weak and Gerard didn't move for it.
    Probably slightly fortunate to go into the break level. Great wee finish from McNamee.
    Second half we played a lot better, and didn't tire as I thought we would. Soaked up most of the Cork pressure well, though at the cost of a few yellows.
    I thought we were great in extra time, really dominated. Cork seemed slightly tired and lacking in ideas. Good header from Jarvis for the winner. He nearly got himself sent off for a second yellow earlier though.
    Held on after that, and really should have scored again. Patterson had a one-on-one, and then missed from what must have been a metre out towards the end.

Really poor crowd at the game though, under 1,000. Definitely the lowest crowd I've seen at TC.

Also, it really wasn't that cold. I know we're from the icy north, but we were wearing t-shirts all night.
    Well, I was absolutely freezing last night anyway

Derry deserved it on balance, but if we're not going to take it seriously we deserve nothing less. The decision to take off Ian Turner with 15 minutes left was bizarre as he's one of the fittest players in the league. Danny Morrissey went to the right and instantly suffered with cramp, but played for the full 120 mins. We were totally gassed by the end of ordinary time.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I'm looking forward to my first ever visit to The Markets Field evening. I've seen Limerick City/FC play in Rathbane, Pike & Jaclman Park. I never got the opportunity to see them in Thomond. I'm delighted to see them doing well this season. Their supporters were brilliant in Terryland last season; they brought more fans to Galway for a relegation battle than St Pat's brought for the 2015 EA final (and Pat's brought a lot).

The League Cup should be taken seriously by both Clubs although it's an unfortunate sequence of events that we have an away fixture to Dundalk in three days time. I suspect that Tommy Dunne will have a strong bench and 4 or 5 fringe players will start. I'm hoping the new centre back signed from Sweden will make his debut after a long lay off with injury.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Any idea if yer bringing a big crowd? Away support in Div 1 is awful, would love a good away crowd to create a good atmosphere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LK37oldskool View Post
    Any idea if yer bringing a big crowd? Away support in Div 1 is awful, would love a good away crowd to create a good atmosphere.
    There is a bus going with about 20 on it and Im sure another 70/80 will drive down that would be my guess but that could be well off you never judge these things until kick off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    100 or so travelling fans for a Tuesday night EA Cup tie would be a very decent following!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Everyone wants to see First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC. There's another bus coming from Cork and three buses from Dublin afaik.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Everyone wants to see First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC. There's another bus coming from Cork and three buses from Dublin afaik.
    This is it, rumours of a charter flight coming in from Leicester later too, to witness the finest of the fine that Shanonside has birthed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    No O'Flynn and Greene, Limerick's two of the top scorers, in their squad for tonight's game... Strange
    Until The Last Rebel!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I'm surprised Cork rested so many players.

The EA Sports Cup is a decent bit of silverware and it is a long time since Cork won anything of note.
    Wait really? A win would have been nice but you realise this was our third straight Monday with a game? We're in the middle of a spell of 8 games in 26 days. I don't think there is anything wrong with using some of the fringe squad players in a game like this, and given the scoreline it almost worked out.

No one is going to be heartbroken at going out of the League Cup.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McNasara View Post
    No O'Flynn and Greene, Limerick's two of the top scorers, in their squad for tonight's game... Strange
    Galway make seven changes though, and include a debut at the back.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Limerick win 2-0.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Limerick 2 Galway 0

Attendance was given a 937 which drew roars of laughter from the stand there was more tonight than there was for Saturday's game v Waterford which was 1,457

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Again, with the opposition making so many changes, it's hard to really use this game as a metric for what level Limerick are at. But who cares, a cup semi!

Tempting fate, but a final in the Market's Field would be quite the occasion...
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Thought it was a little bit smaller than waterford myself, much less in the stand but a bit more around the ground.

Still looked a bit more than 937 though....

On the game galway came into it a bit in the second half without ever really bothering us. We were down to the bare bones at that stage.

galways failure to score against First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC is a stain on their club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fair play to Limerick, lovely set up down there I enjoyed visiting last season and this season. We made too many changes 7 in all but with 3 games in 7 days you need to rest some of the lads in fairness. when we brought on Connolly and Sullivan in the second half we got more into the game. If we lose either to injury this season we are screwed foley is no where near them and we are a completely different team without them.Good crowd for a Tuesday night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Also well done to Anthony buttimer for blowing up the first half on 44 minutes.

We'll have to get a bigger scoreboard and a guide dog for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Congrats to Limerick, they were very worthy winners tonight. We were very poor.

We took a chance making 7 changes and it totally backfired. You can't do that against a team who are essentially top 5/6 quality in the Premier Division and flying high, winning each week. Several Limerick players would walk into our team no bother.

A loss in Dundalk will conclude a forgettable week for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Semi-final draw is to be made today, apparently.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    I know this isn't exactly a surprise but my god Buttimer is one of the worst refs I've ever seen, the amount of clear as day fouls happening right in front of his face that he let's go is madness and that's for both teams linesman on 4 or 5 occasions signalled for free from double the distance away as him. Lino in front of main stand just as bad at times.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast