Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derry City 'Soccer Satellite' centres.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts

Derry City 'Soccer Satellite' centres.

http://www.derrycityfc.net/2016/01/c...llite-centres/

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/derry...launch-footba/

Few Harps fans not best pleased about City setting up camp in Harps back yard,interesting development and one that will be a big challenge to Harps very successful Academy programme.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Makes sense, half their players are from Donegal anyway.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    816 Posts
    Even if Shields is a disaster at Derry he's made the club 10 times more professional already

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Even if Shields is a disaster at Derry he's made the club 10 times more professional already
    I fail to see how this adds professionalism? They have no academy in Derry, severing ties with D&D schoolboys league to do so but yet their only attempt at doing anything since will be this, 5 miles from Finn Park and in a part of the county that is all Harps support.
    It would almost be like Athlone setting something up in Longford Town or Dundalk in Drogheda.

Harps academy has been very successful and Derry are coming in to step on toes. The worst thing is, its being set up by a couple of lads with big Harps connections.
    There's people with an axe to grind.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Nuke the site from orbit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    You're taking this bad Nigel, always in Derry's shadow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    You're taking this bad Nigel, always in Derry's shadow
    From the club that's so jealous of Harps Academy and youth setup, they're trying to get in on it themselves.

Yeah, always in Derry's shadow!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    816 Posts
    hes set up these academics, he's brought a whole new focus on S&C training, nutrition, dietitians, heart monitors. It's something more clubs will soon start to follow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    hes set up these academics, he's brought a whole new focus on S&C training, nutrition, dietitians, heart monitors. It's something more clubs will soon start to follow
    He's not behind the satellite centre.

The S&C with Pierce Lafferty was already in place. He's one of the top S&C coaches in Ireland.

Any club who doesn't have nutritionists and all that comes with them already in place needs to ask questions of themselves.

You're talking like all this hasn't been done before. The only difference is that Shiels is parading this around in public when other clubs know this is already just how you go about things. The only thing about Shiels that separates him from other managers is that he's full on with the media and is a PR machine himself.

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I fail to see how this adds professionalism? They have no academy in Derry, severing ties with D&D schoolboys league to do so but yet their only attempt at doing anything since will be this, 5 miles from Finn Park and in a part of the county that is all Harps support.
    It would almost be like Athlone setting something up in Longford Town or Dundalk in Drogheda.

Harps academy has been very successful and Derry are coming in to step on toes. The worst thing is, its being set up by a couple of lads with big Harps connections.
    There's people with an axe to grind.
    This post is comical. First off this is the first centre to be set up. Shiels has already emphasised that he intends to target areas we havnt tapped into much yet like South Donegal, and then ranging from Strabane, Omagh that direction to Limavady, Dungiven, Maghera the other direction.

Why shouldnt we target this area? Fact is every club has to look for the best chance for themselves. We're not stepping on toes, we are targetting areas we feel will get us good young players.

As for the comment that it is being set up by lads with Harps connections, those same lads have just as big if not bigger connections to Derry City before they were involved with Harps. Axe to grind.....do me a favour

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    He's not behind the satellite centre.

The S&C with Pierce Lafferty was already in place. He's one of the top S&C coaches in Ireland.

Any club who doesn't have nutritionists and all that comes with them already in place needs to ask questions of themselves.

You're talking like all this hasn't been done before. The only difference is that Shiels is parading this around in public when other clubs know this is already just how you go about things. The only thing about Shiels that separates him from other managers is that he's full on with the media and is a PR machine himself.
    Nigel hes trying to promote the club spreading the word trying to bring the next generation back into the brandywell. He has every right to set up a satelitte centre where ever he likes. Its a way forward for the club getting first pick of the best young kids in the area. Living in liverpool i see it over here with Man utd and city having satelitte centres in liverpool. But you dont hear them moaning. Kids football is a ruthless business over here and its tough on them, ie getting released from club to club from 7 yrs upwards. But thats the harsh realities of academies and satelitte centres, and can see it being no different when Derrys starts.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    A slight difference being that the Manchester clubs also have academies in Manchester.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    816 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    A slight difference being that the Manchester clubs also have academies in Manchester.
    I don't get this argument though, even if Derry had a Derry set up and then moved into Donegal they'd still be taking the same players they are now. Besides there's nothing to stop harps moving into Derry or anywhere else they wish to fish for talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    It's a great idea, something I've always thought we should be doing. I'd particularly like to see more focus on Tyrone, there's only really Dungannon there, and it's a decent distance from Strabane and the like.
    Harps fans can be annoyed, but I think it's irrational to be so. We're hardly going to, as a league, sit down with a map of the country and carve it up into spheres of influence. If Pats set up an academy in Ballymun, would Bohs have a right to object?
    Have you ever won the treble?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    From my perspective- Derry have not broken any rules here and can do what they want. But I think it's bizarre to set up your first centre in Killygordon rather than Derry.

Between this and Derry talking about playing at Finn Park (with ever talking to FHFC) I can't work out whether the next move will be to change your name to Derry Harps or to start playing in blue and white.

If Pats set up an academy in Ballymun, would Bohs have a right to object?
    Longford might
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Between this and Derry talking about playing at Finn Park (with ever talking to FHFC) I can't work out whether the next move will be to change your name to Derry Harps or to start playing in blue and white.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    It's a great idea, something I've always thought we should be doing. I'd particularly like to see more focus on Tyrone, there's only really Dungannon there, and it's a decent distance from Strabane and the like.
    Would you not rather see more focus on Derry?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Would you not rather see more focus on Derry?
    I think Derrys argument here is they have Derry sown up anyway so why bother setting up a center in the city.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I think Derrys argument here is they have Derry sown up anyway so why bother setting up a center in the city.
    Surely the fact the likes of Darron Gibson and James McClean (even if he did move on to Derry) started at Institute suggests they've not got it sewn up quite yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    I very much agree with what your saying and don't think they're youth set up is as strong as it could be in the city ,Its just the argument I've been hearing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast