Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This Coming Season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

This Coming Season

Given the resources at our disposal should be a procession. No excuses really acceptable.

But I've been looking at the squad and comparing it to our First Division Winners in 2012:

Ryan
    Kelly
    Treacy
    Purcell
    Tracy

Gamble
    O'Leary
    Bradley

Judge
    Behan
    O'Brien

2016:

Hall
    Kelly
    O'Connor
    Williams
    Tracy

O'Connor
    Lynch
    Duggan

Rainsford/Mann/McSweeney
    O'Flynn
    Mulhall

Now from what I can see this First Division is awful. Really, really, awful.

But Cobh will be Cobh, UCD will be UCD and WE WILL LOSE twice in the RSC.

So that squad needs quite a bit of work. And it needs to happen quickly.

I've given Russell an awful lot of slack because of the dog of a job he was landed with. If we're not pi$$ing the division from the first whistle questions will surely need to be asked.

Discuss the issues.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Hard to know what the 2016 front 3 will contribute in terms of goals compared to the 2012 version. That's what it'll come down to really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    10 games. If we're not clear by 5/6 points by then he'll be gone. Still waiting for that hidden signing to be announced in the middle of some fan favorites

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I don't think Russell should be in charge now, but he's getting the chance to win back PD football instantly, so here we are. The work on signing back players has been great so far - miles ahead of where the club was at this stage over the last few seasons - but lots to be added.

Even with the apparent strength of the team, I don't think Limerick are as well situated as some think. MF isn't a fortress, and I'm worried about crowds, even if it's a breeze of a division. UCD are always tricky, Drogs (as terrible as they were) were better ranked than Limerick for 99% of last season, Waterford are a bogey team (as mentioned, not looking forward to those trips) and Shels won't be pushovers. Limerick will pick up points handy against the likes of Cobh and Cabinteely, but there's a scrap to be had with many others.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Don't count your chickens NFB. Cobh will be strong this season. Cabinteely is a very tough place to visit. Tight pitch, not much in the way of support, it's a tough place to get all three points.

In reality, ye should be walking the First Division next season but you just never know. Shels are building a good young side, Waterford could go either way, Drogheda will probably be crap, UCD should be your main challengers, Cobh will be a lot better this year and you can be sure Henderson will have them tough to beat, especially in St Colmans Park. Athlone will likely be rubbish again.

I'd expect Limerick to win the league with three or four games left to play, but anything can happen in the First Division.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Athlone assembled a team around 2007 or 08 and were expected to walk thhe division. They didn't end up near promotion in the end.

The quality we have should be too much over the course of a full season but there will be quiet a few blips along the way and how we react when things go bad will tell a lot. We were poor enough when we won the league the last time. A lot of games we just scraped over the line but luckily the other teams in the division all dropped points also.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    With the squad of players we have signed for this season if we don't get promoted blame will be management

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    the tools are available and in place...and more to come,....so no excuses ,this league should be won ...comfortably.,,over to you Mr Russell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    The fact there were only 14-15 at training on the first day back is worrying our squad should be nearly finished if not completely finished at this stage.
    Last edited by bluewhitearmy; 12/01/2016 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I don't think 14-15 is too bad considering we have seen Limerick go back training with 4 and 5 in the past.

3 more signings and I reckon we are set. Possibly another centre half, winger and striker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    The fact there were only 14-15 at training on the first day back is worrying our squad should be nearly finished if not completely finished at this stage.

Probably no 19s there either with it being on in the morning...think todays and tomorrows is in the afternoon because of that

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    wots story with Sean Russell lads? saw piece in mail today about him.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    wots story with Sean Russell lads? saw piece in mail today about him.
    Don't think he is signing back. Heard Martin doesn't want him to because of the abuse last year. Funny thing is I think he played very well against harps in the home game and again when he came on up there. Thought the first division might suit him for another year to progress.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Don't think he is signing back. Heard Martin doesn't want him to because of the abuse last year. Funny thing is I think he played very well against harps in the home game and again when he came on up there. Thought the first division might suit him for another year to progress.
    Not aiming this at you but dear god if thats the reason the lad may aswell retire now he got a bit of stick that was blown out of all proportion ( is the lie he was booed on to the pitch against Bohs still going?) I remember 2 incidents really worst of which was him being taken off getting cheered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harpin View Post
    Probably no 19s there either with it being on in the morning...think todays and tomorrows is in the afternoon because of that
    4 19s there so 10 senior players one of which wasn't signed with the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Off top of my head who I remember being there

1 Freddy Hall
    2. Shaun Kelly
    3. Robbie Williams
    4. Paudie O Connor
    5. Tony Whitehead
    6. Colm Murphy
    7. Shane Tracy
    8. Chris Mullhall
    9. Shane Duggan
    10. Paul O Conor
    11. Lee J Lynch
    12. Ross Mann
    13. Unsigned player
    14. John O Flynn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Not aiming this at you but dear god if thats the reason the lad may aswell retire now he got a bit of stick that was blown out of all proportion ( is the lie he was booed on to the pitch against Bohs still going?) I remember 2 incidents really worst of which was him being taken off getting cheered.
    He got a fair amount of abuse over the season. It's more Martin blames himself for not dropping him and he continually got abuse over it. I think it's fair enough, at least at another club if he gets a game it will be considered to be on merit and not because the fans think his daddy is picking him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    He got a fair amount of abuse over the season. It's more Martin blames himself for not dropping him and he continually got abuse over it. I think it's fair enough, at least at another club if he gets a game it will be considered to be on merit and not because the fans think his daddy is picking him.
    I honestly don't remember it unless it was going on while we were banned or unless it was individuals around the ground like I said I remember 2 incidents one up in Rovers which wasn't even him getting stick as such it was people shouting at Martin "take your son off" then there was the cheering him being taken off which was embarrassing and actually caused arguments up in the stand was there anything else other than the usual "ah f off Russell" kinda stuff that every player gets at some stage from individuals? I know there was the completely made up story of him being booed onto the pitch against Bohs the game he scored and in fairness when one of the lads involved at the club was moaning to me about that I remember 5 of 7 or 8 people he said he saw booing weren't even at the game. Not that any of this really matters at this stage its just been in my head everytime I see it mentioned that I think its being made into way bigger a deal then it actually was.

Fair play to the lad though in fairness to him even if I think it was blown up a bit instead of sulking he got his head down and worked through it and put in a few solid performances after it all and that shows the great attitude he has. I'd take him back as a squad player next season but we already have better than him waiting to come in tbh for starting team. If he isn't coming back because of people thinking his father is treating him differently to be totally honest I think there is no-one to blame but Martin because I do think he treated him differently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Anyway more importantly than any how much was Russell abused or not nonsense what do people reckon attendances will be like this season will the strong end to last season mean a strong start this one crowd wise?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I think he should go for this reason over any other. It'd be best for him to not have to deal with it.

In terms of crowds, it'll come down to results as we go along, as per usual, but the FD being what it is, I'm not sure you can expect much. Average in last FD season was under 750 I believe, but in Jackman. MF is worth a few more I'm sure.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast