Thread: Cult heroes

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Cult heroes

Hi;

I'm looking for some help please, Having wrote Just Follow The Floodlights in 2011 I thought it time to bring out a new book for 2016.
    There has never been a book wrote on the many cult heroes that have played for a multitude of LOI sides, past, present or defunct. I think this might be a good basis for a new publication. What I am trying to do is get one or more cult hero that have played for clubs down the years. I'm aware it would be very hard to pick just one from each club (ie; you could have Tommy mcConville, Martin Lawlor or Dermot Keely from Dundalk alone) but I will try give as much coverage to those involved.
    Like Just Follow The Floodlights, there will be contributions from ex-players and managers alike.
    I'm hoping to get as much input from fans as possible (i might even need a few numbers!) on who they think should be featured in the book (I will also be printing some of the best quotes from fans in the book as well)
    Whether or not the publisher is interested I'm hoping to bring the book out next year and launch it wherever anyone will have me.
    I need a witty title for the book instead of just Cult Heroes . I came across a book on tough English hardmen called "Do That Again Son And I'll Break Your Legs" - something like that or describes a cult hero. I want to involve as many people so that it stays an authentic LOI book .

Kindest Regards
    Brian

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    If I had to pick just one Cult hero from the Saints id go for Paul Osam , not the most talented footballer ever but was fantastic for us in midfield for years.We very nearly lost him a few year ago I'd love to see him honoured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Great idea- I think Derek Treacey would be the ideal Rovers player to feature.

As an aside can confirm as absolute gospel when Tony Ward playing for Rovers went by a renowned Cork Celtic player , the CC player told him".. Do that again and I'll break both of your legs.." Glad to say Wardy continued to do so and your man never got near him... Player in question was a red head

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    We've loads of cult heros.

Tom Mohan would probably be well up there in peoples lists of Harps cult heros.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by writerbk1969 View Post
    Hi;

I'm aware it would be very hard to pick just one from each club (ie; you could have Tommy mcConville, Martin Lawlor or Dermot Keely from Dundalk alone)
    Brian
    Tommy Mc for his spell at Waterford, Dermot Keeley his Rovers days, Tom McNulty at Harps, Gino Lawless for Bohs, Martin Lawlor, at Dundalk and so on like that -problem solved and it would sell well round here! Alan O'Neill, James Coll, Mick Doohan the list could be endless........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    The three listed for Dundalk would definitely be up there but perhaps Tom McNulty would be the better definition of a cult hero. He twice scored league winning goals and gave his all on the pitch, but was a mad man at times aswell!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Dermot Keeley for Rovers absolute loony tunes, i remember him in the away leg up in Windsor in the European cup, after about 5 minutes he lifted one of the bluenoses out of it, ball man the whole shooting match then stood over the forlorn player snarling at him, got booked but it did the trick Rovers stood up to a man and gave as good as they got. i then actually played a game on the same side as him years later, a div 2 sat game or something and i am nearly sure he broke one of the opposing players legs in a tackle, mad fcuker on a pitch. Priceless on football republic, refuse to call that other name, lashing the Irish EP fans out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by writerbk1969 View Post
    Hi;

I'm looking for some help please, Having wrote Just Follow The Floodlights in 2011 I thought it time to bring out a new book for 2016.
    There has never been a book wrote on the many cult heroes that have played for a multitude of LOI sides, past, present or defunct. I think this might be a good basis for a new publication. What I am trying to do is get one or more cult hero that have played for clubs down the years. I'm aware it would be very hard to pick just one from each club (ie; you could have Tommy mcConville, Martin Lawlor or Dermot Keely from Dundalk alone) but I will try give as much coverage to those involved.
    Like Just Follow The Floodlights, there will be contributions from ex-players and managers alike.
    I'm hoping to get as much input from fans as possible (i might even need a few numbers!) on who they think should be featured in the book (I will also be printing some of the best quotes from fans in the book as well)
    Whether or not the publisher is interested I'm hoping to bring the book out next year and launch it wherever anyone will have me.
    I need a witty title for the book instead of just Cult Heroes . I came across a book on tough English hardmen called "Do That Again Son And I'll Break Your Legs" - something like that or describes a cult hero. I want to involve as many people so that it stays an authentic LOI book .

Kindest Regards
    Brian
    Hey Brian,

your best bet might be to go onto each teams message board and ask for ideas on which players could/should feature, who would be willing to assist, and how to contact players etc.

From a Bohs perspective so many to choose from - Broughan, Markey, the New Zealanders that Joe McGrath brought back with him...Ernie Crawford going way, way back...but my personal favourite - and always will be - is Alex Nesovic. Legend.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Yes I might have to do that SK, I think it I get to mention 2/3 from a team or contributions from fellow players that would be fine. I'm also going to include quotes from people here that are funny - but above all true!

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    Sean Prunty for town without a doubt, I'd be happy to help ya out getting in contact with him etc. Throw us a message whenever ya get a chance.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I think Prunty is more of a regular hero than a "cult hero" if you know what I mean. My understanding of cult heroes is that it wouldn't be immediately obvious especially to outsiders why they are a hero. But it's not my book!
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Jimmy Hasty.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    A large section of our vocal support (Shedsideboys) seem to have a serious love affair with Gary Shanahan. He gets a few songs every time we play against him.
    Even seen a Gary Shanahan banner at the Cup Final

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Eric Lavine i think would be a good shout
    1st Division Champs 2014 roll on next season

16. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Tony Fagan will surely be a name mentioned by Sligo Rovers fans.
    I used to watch a good bit of the Shamrock Rovers team from around 86 to 90 when I was in college. I always liked John Coady (and he was my postman!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I think Prunty is more of a regular hero than a "cult hero" if you know what I mean. My understanding of cult heroes is that it wouldn't be immediately obvious especially to outsiders why they are a hero. But it's not my book!
    Would have thought of Pat "Zac" Hackett and Vinnie Perth. But both of them could also be considered "regular hero’s", so how about Heysham Elkershi, it would be interesting to find out how an Egyptian ended up living in Longford and playing loi in the eighties when everyomne else was leaving the place. Also the "Man with the Tan" Stuart Holt would only be an obvious cult hero to the Longford faithful.
    The truth fears no questions...
    It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked

19. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Heysham would be a good one. I think he's on Twitter actually.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Paddy Rivaldo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    A title? 'He's a cnut but he's our cnut'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Paddy 'Rivaldo' McGranaghan as mentioned or Eloka Asokuh were two cult heroes that stand out for Harps in the past 15/20 years. Asokuh especially for the way he endeared himself to the Harps fans and has really become something of a club legend, now involved with the underage setup.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast