Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Club Budgets 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    School visits, training sessions for kids etc won't immediatly improve gates, but it is all about being seen, building goodwill and about normalising the League of Ireland experience. Keeping a high profile in Donegal or Limerick or Dundalk might just convince the odd Liverpool fanatic that Harps or Limerick or Dundalk can be 'their' local team.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Whatever about Derry, they're a solid prem div LOI team, but how the hell can USL and Donegal SL clubs offer more money than Harps?? It is the fact that they don't have to pay a LOI license fee that they've a bit of spare cash lying around.

On a similar note, it really annoys me that Donegal SL clubs would even want to poach players off Harps. Would they really rather poach a player off Harps to give themselves a better chance to win their own league at the possible expense of Harps promotion to the Prem? From my point of view (someone from leinster), i always thought that Harps represented the whole of Donegal in the LOI, not just Ballybofey. God forbid they'd try to see the bigger picture.
    That's been going on forever.
    There are some junior clubs around the country paying more than some LOI clubs.
    Some clubs win their junior league or cup year after year & have no interest in going up to the next level.
    They see the local LOI club as the enemy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    They see the local LOI club as the enemy.
    the under 17 league has finally given loi teams a huge boost over a lot of these clubs , the talented younger players will choose to play for a LOI side 9 out of 10 times now imo.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    the under 17 league has finally given loi teams a huge boost over a lot of these clubs , the talented younger players will choose to play for a LOI side 9 out of 10 times now imo.
    A rumoured u-15 league is also on the way. Should hopefully help even more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    A rumoured u-15 league is also on the way. Should hopefully help even more.
    Under-15 league is due to start in 2017.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Under-15 league is due to start in 2017.
    Having being involved in schoolboy/girl football this can only be a good thing. The amount of favouritism towards players of certain teams on the representative schoolboys league squads is disgusting. It's best if taken out of the hands of the local leagues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCdfc View Post
    Having being involved in schoolboy/girl football this can only be a good thing. The amount of favouritism towards players of certain teams on the representative schoolboys league squads is disgusting. It's best if taken out of the hands of the local leagues.
    I disagree completely. Clubs need to work with the local schoolboys leagues and build partnerships with them. Harps, for instance, work along with the Donegal Schoolboys League and the South Donegal Schoolboys League as well as the Emerging Talent Programme when it comes to squads for the under-19, under-17s and the Harps Academy teams.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    @Nigel: Cheers for the clarification, you know your stuff. Any idea if they're letting the big 6 Dublin nursery clubs put teams in. I know they were up in arms about being excluded from the u17 league. Hopefully the FAI are staying strong though and keeping the foot down...
    Last edited by Philosophizer; 26/11/2015 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    @Nigel: Cheers for the clarification, you know your stuff. Any idea if they're letting the big 6 Dublin nursery clubs put teams in. I know they were up in arms about being excluded from the u17 league. Hopefully the FAI are staying strong though and keeping the foot down...
    I've no idea, but the FAI have said previously they'll not be allowed in unless they have a first team in the senior league. Can't imagine them allowing many more Dublin teams in the League of Ireland either. But, this is the FAI and whose to know what they'll allow and not allow.

We'll know better come February I suppose if there's any of those teams considering a first team in the League of Ireland to guarantee entry to the underage leagues.

11. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I've no idea, but the FAI have said previously they'll not be allowed in unless they have a first team in the senior league. Can't imagine them allowing many more Dublin teams in the League of Ireland either. But, this is the FAI and whose to know what they'll allow and not allow.

We'll know better come February I suppose if there's any of those teams considering a first team in the League of Ireland to guarantee entry to the underage leagues.
    I suspect the senior league requirement is more geared towards pushing schoolboy clubs into seeking meaningful link-ups with LOI clubs. Kevin's might get in but realistically there aren't many clubs that could afford to take the hit of fielding senior clubs like Cabinteely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    A couple of budgets may well be adjusted slightly following todays news.

Four different SSE Airtricity League clubs will receive a significant boost from UEFA as a result of Financial Fair Play.

Derry City, Dundalk, Sligo Rovers, and St Patrick's Athletic will each receive €38,970 through UEFA's Financial Fair Play Payments Redistribution system for the 2014/15 season.

This is a redistribution of monies withheld from other clubs who competed in European competition in the 2014/15 season and breached the Financial Fair Play rules.

During the 2014/15 season, St Patrick's Athletic competed in the UEFA Champions League Second Qualifying Round, while Derry City, Dundalk, and Sligo Rovers each made it through to the UEFA Europa League Second Qualifying Round.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBench View Post
    I honestly like the application of the redistribution of monies. It cuts from the upper teams and increased the lower teams' chances.
    I think the Sligo fans may take umbrage at being called a lower team

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I disagree completely. Clubs need to work with the local schoolboys leagues and build partnerships with them. Harps, for instance, work along with the Donegal Schoolboys League and the South Donegal Schoolboys League as well as the Emerging Talent Programme when it comes to squads for the under-19, under-17s and the Harps Academy teams.
    Well Dundalk do do that. What I think GC is on about is the bias that occurs when selecting squads (Dundalk Schoolboys League) for the likes of the Foyle Cup. Such representative sides and the young lads that are selected is as predictable as lads in the first the first 15 of a gaelic team in a small parish in Leitrim. The U15 league allows players of promise be selected, without bias and get proper coaching (no disrespect to the many very good coaches in the schoolboys league) and guidance. This hasnt been possible in the past as Dundalk FC agreed not to have underage sides, for fear that the best players of DSBL would be lost to DFC, as one issue. It was frustrating to see players head off to Shels and the like anyway, bypassing Dundalk FC due to this agreement. A good dolup off thick arrogance by both parties in the past forgot the important people, the kids. So the U15 league will in general help the development of player in a more balanced way. But there is a owenness on Dundalk to play fair with any potential money from transfers and not overselecting players. A partnership rather than a sense of poaching.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 06/12/2015 at 12:29 AM.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Well Dundalk do do that. What I think GC is on about is the bias that occurs when selecting squads (Dundalk Schoolboys League) for the likes of the Foyle Cup. Such representative sides and the young lads that are selected is as predictable as lads in the first the first 15 of a gaelic team in a small parish in Leitrim. The U15 league allows players of promise be selected, without bias and get proper coaching (no disrespect to the many very good coaches in the schoolboys league) and guidance. This hasnt been possible in the past as Dundalk FC agreed not to have underage sides, for fear that the best players of DSBL would be lost to DFC, as one issue. It was frustrating to see players head off to Shels and the like anyway, bypassing Dundalk FC due to this agreement. A good dolup off thick arrogance by both parties in the past forgot the important people, the kids. So the U15 league will in general help the development of player in a more balanced way. But there is a owenness on Dundalk to play fair with any potential money from transfers and not overselecting players. A partnership rather than a sense of poaching.
    What makes you think that local players will be the cornerstone of future U-17 and U-15 squads?

Once the novelty passes and the politics with the local leagues settles down, Dundalk (and other clubs) are likely to cast their net wide in terms of trying to find and develop the best players, irrespective of their location. There will be a deep irony about the reversal of trends where 14 & 15 year olds will trek from North Dublin twice weekly for elite training in Oriel

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    What makes you think that local players will be the cornerstone of future U-17 and U-15 squads?

Once the novelty passes and the politics with the local leagues settles down, Dundalk (and other clubs) are likely to cast their net wide in terms of trying to find and develop the best players, irrespective of their location. There will be a deep irony about the reversal of trends where 14 & 15 year olds will trek from North Dublin twice weekly for elite training in Oriel
    Wouldn't be that ironic considering the senior team has been doing it for decades

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I dont but some of the more established and successful local clubs do or did. The change in attitude in the the SBL admitted a Monaghan team which seemed to terrify some of the bigger egos that with their county wide pool of players and that they may become the dominant club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Bray though. Whats the story there? I know they have backing etc but is it sustainable? Is there some other dark strategy at play behind the scenes? Ive followed their circus over the last 12 months and although this opening of the purse strings appears to be positive for them, I cant help but feel it doesn't fit. Im genuinely asking these questions as I do not know and haven't really followed the most recent ins and outs.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Bray though. Whats the story there? I know they have backing etc but is it sustainable? Is there some other dark strategy at play behind the scenes? Ive followed their circus over the last 12 months and although this opening of the purse strings appears to be positive for them, I cant help but feel it doesn't fit. Im genuinely asking these questions as I do not know and haven't really followed the most recent ins and outs.
    I know there was problems with McGettigans havin full control originally maybe this is all sorted now and the money is pumped lock stock and barrel.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Bray are majority owned by developed Gerry Mulvey, who is backing chairman Denis O'Connor. It's rumoured Mulvey is a front for aggressive high-end residential developer Greg Kavanagh. A really suspicious person might wonder why high-end property developers would become particularly interested in a club based in a highly-desirable area of the country.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    cheers lads - Charlie that's where my mind goes too.

So whats the connection between McGettigans and O'Connor or Mulvey/Kavanagh?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast