Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Club Budgets 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Thanks Oriel. The article linked above from the Indo says McMillan works 20 hrs a week (2.5 days).
    Yep that sounds right actually, 2.5 days, he def has Friday off.

I don't see anything wrong with 'full time' players supplementing their income during the season, so long as its not effecting any training, also it makes perfect sense for during the winter, when maybe they can get longer hours to make up for no football income.

Maybe Dundalk train evenings, but they are definitely in 5 days.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I heard that the Wexford Youths players only got paid expenses last year. I'd assume that's the case with all first division teams?
    No I doubt that would be the case. It would be extremely hard to entice players to play LOI at every club in the first division for just expenses. Especially when players can get money to play junior soccer and not have the travelling.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with 'full time' players supplementing their income during the season, so long as its not effecting any training, also it makes perfect sense for during the winter, when maybe they can get longer hours to make up for no football income.
    Absolutely agree. nothing wrong with doing part time work or study. I remember seeing an interview with the Rosenborg manager in the early noughties (when they were in the champions league proper every single year) and at the time most of his squad was actually studying as well as playing CL soccer. Some of them were even studying medicine!!! He was actively encouraging them all to take up courses in local universities because he knew how short term a career it is in football.

Great to see so many LOI clubs now have links and scholarship programmes with colleges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Not linked to Club Budgets, but nothing new on here to go off topic! On the subject of links with Colleges and Schools, both Dundalk and Drogheda have good links with DKIT, and both have the DKIT sport advertising on the back of their kits.

Dundalk have an excellent community / schools relationship and every other week there are photos on the website with Liam Burns (ex player, now community officer) and a player taking the trophies around to schools in the region and also to other groups. There can't be many local schools that have not seen the League trophy at this stage, but they are starting all over again with the double ones now. This is an area you can't underestimate, if even 10% start going to matches from each school as new supporters, it is paying dividends.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    I heard that the Wexford Youths players only got paid expenses last year. I'd assume that's the case with all first division teams?
    The majority of Harps players were on €50 p.w. with a very small few getting over that. Entire budget inc management was something around €2,000 p.w.

USL and Donegal League clubs were offering a lot of our players double and up to triple the money they were on at Harps.

We're now facing a situation where Derry are offering a few of our lads full time wages as opposed the the very small figures Harps can afford.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Not linked to Club Budgets, but nothing new on here to go off topic! On the subject of links with Colleges and Schools, both Dundalk and Drogheda have good links with DKIT, and both have the DKIT sport advertising on the back of their kits.

Dundalk have an excellent community / schools relationship and every other week there are photos on the website with Liam Burns (ex player, now community officer) and a player taking the trophies around to schools in the region and also to other groups. There can't be many local schools that have not seen the League trophy at this stage, but they are starting all over again with the double ones now. This is an area you can't underestimate, if even 10% start going to matches from each school as new supporters, it is paying dividends.
    I can't understand why clubs won't/don't do this, no brainer, best recruiting of new fans you can do, IMO

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    USL and Donegal League clubs were offering a lot of our players double and up to triple the money they were on at Harps.

We're now facing a situation where Derry are offering a few of our lads full time wages as opposed the the very small figures Harps can afford.
    Whatever about Derry, they're a solid prem div LOI team, but how the hell can USL and Donegal SL clubs offer more money than Harps?? It is the fact that they don't have to pay a LOI license fee that they've a bit of spare cash lying around.

On a similar note, it really annoys me that Donegal SL clubs would even want to poach players off Harps. Would they really rather poach a player off Harps to give themselves a better chance to win their own league at the possible expense of Harps promotion to the Prem? From my point of view (someone from leinster), i always thought that Harps represented the whole of Donegal in the LOI, not just Ballybofey. God forbid they'd try to see the bigger picture.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Whatever about Derry, they're a solid prem div LOI team, but how the hell can USL and Donegal SL clubs offer more money than Harps?? It is the fact that they don't have to pay a LOI license fee that they've a bit of spare cash lying around.

On a similar note, it really annoys me that Donegal SL clubs would even want to poach players off Harps. Would they really rather poach a player off Harps to give themselves a better chance to win their own league at the possible expense of Harps promotion to the Prem? From my point of view (someone from leinster), i always thought that Harps represented the whole of Donegal in the LOI, not just Ballybofey. God forbid they'd try to see the bigger picture.
    Are you new to the League of Ireland? This happens right across the country, including in around Leinster Senior League.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I don't think I've ever heard of any decent LOI player around Dublin signing for a LSL team because he's being offered better money than the LOI team. Fringe squad players tend to jump between the LOI and LSL all the time, but it's usually if they're not getting game time, or can't to commit to LOI soccer, or if they fall out with the manager or whatever.

Maybe i'm in a unique position though as the Dublin clubs tend to pay relatively decent wages (apart from Cabo - not sure if they pay anything).

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    I can't understand why clubs won't/don't do this, no brainer, best recruiting of new fans you can do, IMO
    We've done it loads of times, without the benefit of the trophies obviously and I don't think it has actually made any difference to our crowds. The only time they improve is when we go on a run winning games.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    We've done it loads of times, without the benefit of the trophies obviously and I don't think it has actually made any difference to our crowds. The only time they improve is when we go on a run winning games.
    I don't think you can really expect any noticeable change in crowds after doing a few school visits. It should just be part of a medium-long term strategy (over 10-20 yrs) to become more intrinsically linked with your local community. I'd imagine that if it's done consistently, year on year (along with other community work), it would certainly improve attendances, as well as generally improving the amount of local goodwill towards the club, which in turn enhances sponsorship opportunities etc etc.

From small acorns big oak trees grow.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts

They have very few expenses compared to senior club, including (whisper it) in terms of tax or PRSI. If they have a local businessman backing them they can throw a few quid around. I'm not sure it's a widespread as being everywhere in the country, there are probably some areas it doesn't happen. It suits some players to be a big fish in a small pond. Whether those type of characters would ever make as senior footballers is highly doubtful in any case. But some younger players with potential may take the easy option and that's a shame.

And Irish football is riven with people defending their own little patch. There are plenty in Donegal who'd happily dance on FHFC's grave- but thankfully things a re a lot better than they used to be.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    There are plenty in Donegal who'd happily dance on FHFC's grave- but thankfully things a re a lot better than they used to be.
    I never knew there were such issues in Donegal. There are big rivalries between the big clubs here in Dublin, but i don't think any fans of Dublin clubs would seriously like to see another club going out of business (even if there is a saturation of clubs).

It's just struck me that Harps are the only LOI club outside Dublin that aren't named after their town/city/county. I'm not saying that a name change would drastically improve crowds or people's goodwill towards the team, but has "Donegal Harps" or something similar ever even been considered. Might just go a small way to garnering more local support around the county - every little helps. I remember reading something in a paper a while ago about one of the committee members complaining that only a handful of people turned up at the club agm!!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Actually the neutrality of the name means that people from anywhere in the Northwest can feel included. Donegal Harps is mentioned from time to time, but there are a fair few Harps fans across the border, especially in Strabane, so I'd be against it. Apart from the mere suggestion being an abomination in the first place obviously.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    No they're not. I have it from a reliable source in Dundalk that Towell is on 1,100 p/w, but he's the outstanding player in the league by a distance (and he'll likely be gone v soon), hence why i gave the 800-1k figure as a ballpark for the leagues best players. i doubt there are many others in the league earning upwards of 1k p/w. Maybe a couple at Cork/Rovers but that'd be it.
    There are players on more than Towell then!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.F.C. View Post
    There are players on more than Towell then!
    I've suggested that there may be a couple, but not more than a handful i'd guess. If you know specifics pls enlighten us...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    Here are some recent examples. The first link features the iconic Dundalk FM host John Murphy (2nd photo), a former league winner too may I add!

http://www.dundalkfc.com/cara-trophy-visit/

This one is a recent schools visit.

http://www.dundalkfc.com/double-deli...ilkerley-ns-2/

Simple things really, but obviously helps if you have a trophy, but still nothing stopping other clubs doing school visits etc with key players.
    Last edited by oriel; 25/11/2015 at 8:30 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    See that Everton annual accounts are out this week and it shows that they have the 8th highest revenue in England. There position in the league table at present is 7th so Wexford and Finn Harps, who both have excelled this year will have to repeat their heroics next year if the hope to avoid the bottom 2 places.
    In relation to school visits, anything a winning team does is always right. I remember the last time the Cork footballers(men) won the All-Ireland there was a fair bit in the media about a training camp they had on Bere Island, nobody seems interested in what type of training camps they have last two years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    I think changing the name to Donegal Harps would be second only to 'they should up sticks and move to letterkenny' on the list of things you don't suggest Harps should do, In recent years we've changed the badge to include the words County Donegal though.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattB11 View Post
    I think changing the name to Donegal Harps would be second only to 'they should up sticks and move to letterkenny' on the list of things you don't suggest Harps should do, In recent years we've changed the badge to include the words County Donegal though.
    Londonderry Harps has an even better ring to it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast