Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: SSE Airtricity League Transfers 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Seems to be a bit of a waste off the budget considering Gleeson & Horgan are already covering for Winn. Unless of course one is leaving.
    If the new lad comes in and sits on the bench until the end of the season it's ridiculous.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Seems to be a bit of a waste off the budget considering Gleeson & Horgan are already covering for Winn. Unless of course one is leaving.
    You say that as if you think they are all on FT wages or even on wages.

If the new lad comes in and sits on the bench until the end of the season it's ridiculous.
    Unless Winn plays out of his skin (in which case the signing will have had the desired outcome anyway), Ramsbottom will be getting a chance soon.

Anecdotally, some Tranmere fans thought it was a strange move to release him as he looked like he could have been a future #1 for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    If the budget is tight why pay this lad and I'm guessing we're putting him up in Galway to sit on the bench. Use that money on an outfield player.
    Gleeson & Horgan can cover the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    If the budget is tight why pay this lad and I'm guessing we're putting him up in Galway to sit on the bench. Use that money on an outfield player.
    Gleeson & Horgan can cover the bench.
    What sort of stupid assumption is that? Who says we're signing this lad to sit on the bench? Also, who's to say that we won't be signing a few outfield players in the coming days?

Horgan is the U19 keeper, Gleeson is there as cover (work commitments), both are amateurs and don't provide real competition for Conor Winn.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    But why the hell sign another bloody keeper when it is up the field where we need strengthening? We see 3 midfielders depart in July, so we react by signing a fourth goalkeeper? I mean seriously, give me strength. We need goals up front, we need creativity in midfield, and they should be the priority. Yes, it would be lovely to have a goalkeeper who can actually catch the ball, but as a first signing?????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    But why the hell sign another bloody keeper when it is up the field where we need strengthening? We see 3 midfielders depart in July, so we react by signing a fourth goalkeeper? I mean seriously, give me strength. We need goals up front, we need creativity in midfield, and they should be the priority. Yes, it would be lovely to have a goalkeeper who can actually catch the ball, but as a first signing?????
    I wouldn't say our goalkeeper is the answer tbh, so I'm happy enough to see another keeper come in and provide competition, provided other positions are also strengthened. I don't see what the big fuss is about it.

Maybe it wasn't feasible to bring in the outfield players he's after before the goalkeeper and it will take more time. I'd rather we waited to get the correct players, rather than rushing into the signings of priority positions with players of lesser quality. I'm sure if he could sign the players he is after, he would have them in. Keating is a striker btw, not a midfielder.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Give ME strength.

There's two more signings on the way. Signings happen when they happen. You're basically giving out that they are not happening in a certain order.

Keating wasn't wanted and isn't a midfielder. Foley was never match fit. Sullivan of course was a loss.

García looks like he might fit in well, he was probably the only one at the races in Ballybofey.

You're basing your argument on the assumption that Ramsbottom has been signed instead of strengthening elsewhere, of which there is no evidence.
    Last edited by gufcfan; 21/07/2016 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    There's two more signings on the way.
    I hope that's true, we could do with a central midfielder, winger and maybe even another striker. I would settle for a good central midfielder and a winger however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    There's two more signings on the way. Signings happen when they happen.
    I hope so - but even if there are, I fail to see the logic in signing a fourth goalkeeper. Keating absolutely no loss, but Sullivan was and then we also lost the cover for him that Foley would have provided.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    I'd rather we waited to get the correct players, rather than rushing into the signings of priority positions with players of lesser quality. I'm sure if he could sign the players he is after, he would have them in. Keating is a striker btw, not a midfielder.
    Rushed? The window closes in a week, it's been open for the past 3 weeks. Hardly 'rushed'. But why sign a keeper at all? And I know Keating is allegedly a striker, but he played on the wing quite a bit for us. Well, played is a bit strong - lined out might be more accurate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Rushed? The window closes in a week, it's been open for the past 3 weeks. Hardly 'rushed'. But why sign a keeper at all? And I know Keating is allegedly a striker, but he played on the wing quite a bit for us. Well, played is a bit strong - lined out might be more accurate
    I think you got my meaning. If you have to wait to get the players you want, then so be it. I'm sure there is a reason why Dunne hasn't completed more signings by now. I wouldn't be in favour of settling for lesser players just to get players in.

I already answered your question about a keeper. I don't think Winn is the answer and if we can bring in a better keeper, I don't have any issue with that. Presumably the logic around signing a 4th keeper is very simple, maybe he's better than the other three.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Presumably the logic around signing a 4th keeper is very simple, maybe he's better than the other three.
    Fair enough!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I wouldn't necessarily look at it as signing a "4th" keeper. Horgan is playing full time with the U19s. Gleeson is essentially cover at best (with respect), it wouldn't surprise me if he leaves. Winn has some serious competition now and hopefully we can make 2-3 more signings in the next week or so and push on.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Finn Harps: Out

Matt Crossan (released)
    Liam Flatley (Ballinamallard)
    Ryan McConnell (Ballinamallard - Loan)
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    What sort of stupid assumption is that? Who says we're signing this lad to sit on the bench? Also, who's to say that we won't be signing a few outfield players in the coming days?
    Jesus relax buddy... Tommy Dunne did say "Conor Winn has been the number one, so he will probably start, barring injury.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Jesus relax buddy... Tommy Dunne did say "Conor Winn has been the number one, so he will probably start, barring injury.”
    I'm relaxed, it was a silly comment by yourself. I saw that quote, it makes sense, the guy has only done a week of training with the club, Dunne is hardly going to fire him straight into the starting eleven.

Winn starting tonight doesn't mean he's going to spend the rest of the season on the bench though, does it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Was it a silly comment or a slight exaggeration on your part?
    You can look at TD's comments in two ways.
    1. Winn is No.1 and unless he gets injured/suspended he starts.
    2. Ramsbottom has just come in and will be given a chance eventually.

I'd like to think Ramsbottom will be our No.1 sooner rather than later, unless of course he turns out to be worse than Winn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Was it a silly comment or a slight exaggeration on your part?
    You can look at TD's comments in two ways.
    1. Winn is No.1 and unless he gets injured/suspended he starts.
    2. Ramsbottom has just come in and will be given a chance eventually.

I'd like to think Ramsbottom will be our No.1 sooner rather than later, unless of course he turns out to be worse than Winn.
    TBH, it was a stupid of you to suggest that he was being signed to sit on the bench. My opinion on that hasn't changed. That was your take/assumption, I wouldn't have come to that conclusion whatsoever and "option 1." never came into my mind. The guy isn't going to be thrust into the first team after doing one week of training and being out of season, that doesn't mean he's gonna warm the bench all season... He's been brought in to give Winn some proper competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Cork City in:

Dave Mulcahy (Bohs)

I can't quite get my head around that one.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Cork City in:

Dave Mulcahy (Bohs)

I can't quite get my head around that one.
    Most City fans couldn't get their heads around why we signed him a second time, let alone now a third time.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast