Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Contract Renewals & Squad Lists 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Ok lets go through them.
    Miller, Healy, McNulty, Bennett, Murray are all local & all in their mid thirties.
    Miller, Healy & Bennett returned home to Cork having exhausted any possibility of a contract elsewhere.
    Murray first came to Cork in 2002 aged 20.
    McNulty is local & has never played with anyone else except Cork.
    Gaynor is a wanderer having has about 7 different clubs. He actually from Louth.
    Dunleavy came back from the UK aged 20 at the end of the 2011 season having gone over as a kid & not done much over there.
    O'Sullivan came from the Munster Senior League & played under JC at Avondale Utd.He was 30 before he even made his LOI debut.

Miller. Healy & Bennett would have decent LOI wages I suppose but they wouldn't be big considering they're at the end of their careers & wanted to come home anyway. The rest wouldn't be on great money. I don't know about Shepperd but he was mostly a bench player with Rovers.
    The Dennehy brothers are from just down the road in Tralee although Billy was released at the end of the season.

We couldn't hold on to Horgan because we couldn't give him what he's got from Dundalk & we certainly couldn't match what Towell is getting.
    I think a lot of the players resigned because they're happy here & there isn't much money in the LOI now in any case.I presume our budget has improved this year to be able to sign Beattie & Bolger + hopefully a couple more if what we offer is acceptable to them.

We're hopeful of a more attacking style next season but that depends on who we can get in. The main thing is that we want to improve rather than Dundalk going backwards.
    I'm not sure the point you're trying to make in this post, are you suggesting that because some players are local, have been around a while or failed in the UK they are on small wages? I can make the same argument about Dundalk players but I'd be talking out my ass because like everyone else on here I don't know for sure.

Did Horgan join Dundalk for shed loads more money or did he leave for ambition? Who knows for sure, but either way it has been justified.

Without having any figures my guess is that there is not much between Dundalk, Rovers and Cork playing budgets and until players start showing off their wage slips I'm sticking to that opinion. I base it on the players and size of squads at these clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    I'm not sure the point you're trying to make in this post, are you suggesting that because some players are local, have been around a while or failed in the UK they are on small wages? I can make the same argument about Dundalk players but I'd be talking out my ass because like everyone else on here I don't know for sure.

Did Horgan join Dundalk for shed loads more money or did he leave for ambition? Who knows for sure, but either way it has been justified.

Without having any figures my guess is that there is not much between Dundalk, Rovers and Cork playing budgets and until players start showing off their wage slips I'm sticking to that opinion. I base it on the players and size of squads at these clubs.

You already did in post 105 "Anyway if Towell goes we will have the lowest budget in the league when you factor in that the rest of the squad pay subs."
    I'm not calling you names or anything like that, just quoting what you said.This is just disscussion.

I'm just trying to explain why we don't have a huge wage bill compared to others.I don't know each persons wages exactly but I have a very good idea of what we spent on wages last year & when you consider our position in the league it's a lot less than what some might think.
    The average wage in the Premier div is about 16k for a 40 week season which works out about 400pw.
    There are of course a few who would earn above that but they are few & far between. There are also a lot who earn a lot less. The highest earner is on 40k+ & he doesn't play for us

Wages are starting to creep up again but nowhere near what they were some years ago in the crazy times. A lot depends on sponsorship & the amount sponsors are willing to put in.
    Of course there are still a few white knights about but we don't have any of those down out way any more, thankfully.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    The average wage in the Premier div is about 16k for a 40 week season which works out about 400pw.
    There are of course a few who would earn above that but they are few & far between. There are also a lot who earn a lot less.
    In today's news......

Some players earn above the average wage - but there are not many of them.
    Some players earn less then the average - a lot of these earn well below average.

The rest of your post was too highbrow for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    You already did in post 105 "Anyway if Towell goes we will have the lowest budget in the league when you factor in that the rest of the squad pay subs."
    Eh...ah never mind!

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    In today's news......

Some players earn above the average wage - but there are not many of them.
    Some players earn less then the average - a lot of these earn well below average.

The rest of your post was too highbrow for me
    That's ok. We'll explain it to ye the next time ye come down.
    In any case I suppose having sponsors paying players wages ye wouldn't know much about the what players earn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Sean Thornton re-signs for the Drogs
    http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...da-united-deal
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Good signing, and only costing them 100 fags per week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Eh...ah never mind!
    Yeah I'm not gonna bother either

10. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    McNamee, McHugh, Coll and Harkin have resigned for Harps. Ryan McConnell has signed also, ex Man United youth.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Great signing by Harps to get in Ryan McConnell. Given time, this kid could be the real deal. Was very unfortunate with injuries and similar type of player to John Dunleavy. Was Man Utd development squad captain before he left there too last summer.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Saw him play once or twice on MUTV as my Dad has it at home. He's a decent enough player alright should be well able for LOI.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    very surprised that he stayed considering David Healy was after him at Linfield!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Great signing by Harps to get in Ryan McConnell. Given time, this kid could be the real deal. Was very unfortunate with injuries and similar type of player to John Dunleavy. Was Man Utd development squad captain before he left there too last summer.
    It works Nidge, we know all about it.
    Signing players injured in the hope a miracle will happen. Good luck with that policy
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer View Post
    It works Nidge, we know all about it.
    Signing players injured in the hope a miracle will happen. Good luck with that policy
    He's not injured. He done pre-season with Man United over the summer and came through unscathed. He's been home since August.

I can understand a Sligo fans disappointment with him turning them down however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    He's not injured. He done pre-season with Man United over the summer and came through unscathed. He's been home since August.

I can understand a Sligo fans disappointment with him turning them down however.
    But Harps are offering their players €20 a week lest we forget. The entire Harps squad combined were apparently on less money than Freddy Hall.......

How could Ryan McConnell turn down the massive wages on offer at the Showgrounds to sign as an amateur for Harps? Love of the game perhaps.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Declan McGrath produced an brilliant piece earlier this year about the 'impact' LOI clubs have on their community, i.e. what percentage of the locality attend the games. On average it was 3.8%, which is decent compared to foreign leagues. Cork was slightly below this at 2.84%. In fact most clubs were slightly below the average, while Dundalk (5.86%), Longford (6.8%) and Sligo (11.5%) were well ahead. (Sligo seem to have the biggest impact on their community by a mile, probably because of all the excellent community work they do and investment in facilities over recent years etc).

It's a bit of a read, but it's v informative. I recommend it to anyone interested in LOI attendances. Here's the piece on extratime.ie - http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/article...e-attendances/
    It looks like he did a Wiki job with regard to our figures without truly understanding it. The 2.84% figure would be based on a city boundary that exists well within the urban area. If it were based on the immediate urban population, it would be below 1.5%. Basing it on a metro population, which is a much smaller metro area than Dublin, so more of a catchment area, it's below 0.8%. Not great all things considered. This is without factoring in the pulling power of Cobh Ramblers 😀

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    But Harps are offering their players €20 a week lest we forget. The entire Harps squad combined were apparently on less money than Freddy Hall.......

How could Ryan McConnell turn down the massive wages on offer at the Showgrounds to sign as an amateur for Harps? Love of the game perhaps.
    Signed on a multi-million Euro contract for five years.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Signed on a multi-million Euro contract for five years.
    Some man is our Nidge. All the same, great to see Harps back in the Premier Division.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Paul Hunt signs for Cobh from Longford. Decent keeper and another positive signing. Squad building up well

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobhlad View Post
    Paul Hunt signs for Cobh from Longford. Decent keeper and another positive signing. Squad building up well
    massive loss for us imo. I think hes way better than Paul Skinner.. I wish him well in his move. I think Cobh will do well next season especially with Hunty in goals for them!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast