Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Contract Renewals & Squad Lists 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avvenalaf View Post
    Cork putting quite a squad together there. All they need now is a manager.
    I would be the first to criticise JC and I have in the past. I feel he has learned from past mistakes and Cork will be so much stronger next year.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strikeforce View Post
    I would be the first to criticise JC and I have in the past. I feel he has learned from past mistakes and Cork will be so much stronger next year.
    I think he realises that he needs to set his team up differently and be less cautious away from home. My question is whether he knows how to achieve this. Has any of his teams in junior football played a more expansive game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    JC is no mug and over 2 seasons has adapted his tactics - this season gone he tried the keep it tight away hoping that Dundalk etc would drop points and as long as Turners Cross was some sort of fortress the averages wuld work in Cork's favour. Next season I would expect Cork City to go for playing for 3 points home and away. It certainly seems that he is bringing in players for this process. I also expect a fitter harder working side next season along with Rovers and Bohs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I think your spot on Nesta. I think there could be as many as five teams in the title race next term. Bohs and rovers seem to be doing the biz along with cork and yourselves again. I've a feeling derry might be stronger this year as well. Regarding jc well along with his own way of thinking I personally think pressure from the bom and fans will see a different city this year. It's a pity it's after taking three years to get here and the sad thing is we has the players in that period to deliver. The players had to play the way jc wanted simple as.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Caulfield has 2 2nd place finishes including a chance on the last day to win the league and a cup final. Meanwhile Dundalk are one of the best teams the league has seen in quite some time. How much more could have been asked of Caulfield? Reading some of the comments on here you'd swear Cork had been knocking around mid table- which is where they were when he came in.
    Maybe the European disaster is carrying extra weight?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    YOu can feel what you like but you've absolutely no basis for believing he's learnt from his mistakes other than hope. In Cork's last game, a cup final, they couldn't/wouldn't attack Dundalk. Since then the only player he has added are defensive players.

Cork may/may not be much more attacking next year but he's done nothing yet to make you think that's the case
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Since then the only player he has added are defensive players.
    He's also released Billy Dennehy, and it's rumoured Gaynor is considering his options too, so unless he gets in at least one more attacking wide player it's looking like they'll play a similar style next year.

Mind you i expect Holohan to really establish himself next yr, but still i think they need a good attacker to replace Dennehy if they want to win the league next yr. Still early days in the transfer window though.

If Dundalk lose Towell and Horgan it should create a more even playing field next season. I'd expect Cork, Rovers and Dundalk to be in a much closer title race nxt yr, and hopefully we'll see a bit more progress in Europe too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    YOu can feel what you like but you've absolutely no basis for believing he's learnt from his mistakes other than hope.
    To be fair, next season will only be Caulfield's 3rd in senior management. He has made mistakes but you can't accuse him of not learning from his mistakes because he hasn't had much time to learn from them. We play in a certain way away from home but we did play some great football at times at home against some teams. We don't have the quality or pace in the final 3rd to make the sort of gains against the top teams that we would like and my fear is that the type and quality of player we are looking for just does not exist within the constrains of our budget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    If Dundalk lose Towell and Horgan it should create a more even playing field next season. I'd expect Cork, Rovers and Dundalk to be in a much closer title race txt yr...
    It's not the way we want the gap narrowed though is it? I'd love to see a league with three or four teams playing at the level Dundalk set this year or Pats did in 2013.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    To be fair, next season will only be Caulfield's 3rd in senior management. He has made mistakes but you can't accuse him of not learning from his mistakes because he hasn't had much time to learn from them. We play in a certain way away from home but we did play some great football at times at home against some teams. We don't have the quality or pace in the final 3rd to make the sort of gains against the top teams that we would like and my fear is that the type and quality of player we are looking for just does not exist within the constrains of our budget.
    Exactly what you've said.
    Some are of the idea that City already have the players to play the type of football everyone would like to see but I don't subscribe to that at all.
    The players Caulfield has got in are the ones available to him within his budget constraints.
    If you pay the money you will get any player you want but first of all you have to have the money available in your budget & even then you're not guaranteed that they will work out.
    If Caulfield was spending wildly without any sign of progress then that would be a different matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I think your spot on Nesta. I think there could be as many as five teams in the title race next term. Bohs and rovers seem to be doing the biz along with cork and yourselves again. I've a feeling derry might be stronger this year as well. Regarding jc well along with his own way of thinking I personally think pressure from the bom and fans will see a different city this year. It's a pity it's after taking three years to get here and the sad thing is we has the players in that period to deliver. The players had to play the way jc wanted simple as.
    If only everything was so simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    You have your opinion disgruntled and I have mine. A lot of folk have the same opinion as me. We played well in maybe four games last season. The rest was ****e and deep down I think you know it. Take Iceland as one example. One up and playing well. They go down to ten men and we go into defensive mode. 250,000K down the drain. I could go on but I've a feeling you just don't want to know. You can paper over the cracks but that won't solve the problem. I hope he has learnt from past mistakes because if he hasn't then the flock will soon taper off.

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Derry City

Gerard Doherty
    Ryan McBride
    Aaron Barry
    Patrick McClean
    Aaron McEneff
    Barry McNamee
    Conor McCormack
    Joshua Daniels

Dean Jarvis and Ronan Curtis expected to sign this week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    You have your opinion disgruntled and I have mine. A lot of folk have the same opinion as me. We played well in maybe four games last season. The rest was ****e and deep down I think you know it. Take Iceland as one example. One up and playing well. They go down to ten men and we go into defensive mode. 250,000K down the drain. I could go on but I've a feeling you just don't want to know. You can paper over the cracks but that won't solve the problem. I hope he has learnt from past mistakes because if he hasn't then the flock will soon taper off.
    That's no problem mate. It has nothing to do with not wanting to know.
    I never said it was pretty & yes Caulfield has made mistakes but if you're trying to pin it all on the manager then I can't agree with you.
    Some of the players brought in haven't fulfilled their promise but that can happen to any manager.If it was that easy then we'd all be doing it.

Two second place finishes in the championship & runners up in a cup final in two seasons would be excepted in most clubs except maybe some like Real Madrid.
    He seems to have realised his mistakes & is trying to do something about it. He has strengthened the backbone of the team with quality & now it's time to think about signing players who will offer something going forward. I've no doubt he is trying to sign more attacking players but it's not always easy.The type of players needed are few & far between in this league.
    He has a contract to do a job & if he doesn't do that job then he will be looking elsewhere for employment but he has to be given time to do it.
    I'm quite happy with what he's produced so far but now its time to go to the next level.If it comes to the time when he hasn't fulfilled what's expected of him then I will be one of the first up to say " Its time to go John"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    I may have missed a post here or maybe even on another thread but has JC's budget been increased for 2016 or is it the same as 2015, or indeed are those details in the public domain?
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I don't think we're that far apart from our way of thinking disgruntled. We have a few players on big money who just didn't perform last year.. so I'm hoping this year will be different. I'd say we may have a slight increase in our budget this year. The thing is down in Cork if you have a team challenging then you will get crowds of 4000 on a regular basis. A mediocre team will have our core support of between 2200-- 2500. Still not bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I may have missed a post here or maybe even on another thread but has JC's budget been increased for 2016 or is it the same as 2015, or indeed are those details in the public domain?
    No idea yet. Prize money should be up but crowds were down a little so its hard to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    I'm quite happy with what he's produced so far but now its time to go to the next level.
    I'm sure that he what he wants to do, but it is easier said than done.

Does Caulfield have the managerial and tactical ability to do this?

I'm sure he will address the S&C gap but that is not the only area where Cork have fallen behind Dundalk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    I think Caulfield did a great job on 10%* of the budget Dundalk had. (*Copyright, J Caulfield)

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I don't think we're that far apart from our way of thinking disgruntled. We have a few players on big money who just didn't perform last year.. so I'm hoping this year will be different. I'd say we may have a slight increase in our budget this year. The thing is down in Cork if you have a team challenging then you will get crowds of 4000 on a regular basis. A mediocre team will have our core support of between 2200-- 2500. Still not bad.
    What you say about the support numbers is correct but a city the size of Cork should have a much bigger support.
    I do wish the people of Cork would take a chance & come out a support the club in greater numbers.
    More through the gate = more money for players etc. Take a chance & see where it gets you. If it doesn't work out after a period then by all means stay away but at least give the club a chance to grow.
    In Cork we seem to be always waiting for someone else to put the money in & get success. God knows we've had some chancers down through the years & its always ended in tears despite any success we've had. At least now it’s different being a fans owned club. The days of white knights are long gone, thankfully.

We've made great progress since our reincarnation & hopefully with the fans support we will show further progress next season.
    The key to success is proper sustained progress not wild chasing the dream type spending.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast