Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TV Rights

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

TV Rights

Mainstream tv channels have little interest in airing our games. Another solution i have found is after the United Soccer League (USL for short). They air all their games live on Youtube and for the few big games mainstream channels can then buy exclusive rights.

This gives easy access for games. Many games only have a few hundred views with the bigger games getting a few thousand.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Problem is some clubs here can barely run a Facebook page never mind stream live matches

3. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    RTE may have little interest in showing it themselves but that doesn't mean they'll let anyone else broadcast it before Soccer Republic.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

5. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    Mainstream tv channels have little interest in airing our games. Another solution i have found is after the United Soccer League (USL for short). They air all their games live on Youtube and for the few big games mainstream channels can then buy exclusive rights.

This gives easy access for games. Many games only have a few hundred views with the bigger games getting a few thousand.
    Clubs have tried it, and been slapped down by the combined forces of darkness of RTE and the FAI. As Longfordian said, just because RTE don't bother their hole, doesn't mean they won't stop others. They did the same when Newstalk was covering games on the radio - claimed exclusivity to block them, and then a while down the road binned Friday night coverage themselves and now we have no radio coverage.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Clubs have tried it, and been slapped down by the combined forces of darkness of RTE and the FAI. As Longfordian said, just because RTE don't bother their hole, doesn't mean they won't stop others. They did the same when Newstalk was covering games on the radio - claimed exclusivity to block them, and then a while down the road binned Friday night coverage themselves and now we have no radio coverage.

Irish football in a nutshell really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    It's almost as if RTE want the LOI to fail miserably....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    With RTE losing the rights to the Six Nations for the next few years, will there be a bit of added effort put into the football here I wonder? They haven't much left in terms of live coverage of sports now.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Maybe there's be a bit of "well we have to spend the budget somewhere or they'll cut it" but on the other hand the LOI would bring in a fraction of the advertising revenue. I doubt this will have must real impact to be honest.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Surprised by announcement today. Is TV3 just bidding a crazy amount, or has EURO 2016 and the Olympics cost RTE too much?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    With RTE losing the rights to the Six Nations for the next few years, will there be a bit of added effort put into the football here I wonder? They haven't much left in terms of live coverage of sports now.
    Nope.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Hi all, I’ve been reading on this forum for a while but decided to join the conversation.

Here’s an in-depth interview I found with Ryle Nugent from a month or two ago explaining RTE’s stance on showing live domestic games, and Soccer Republic - http://www.intallaght.ie/rte-explain...land-coverage/

I’d obviously love us to have a live match on RTE every Friday, but to be fair, having 17 domestic soccer matches on RTE each year isn’t too bad, especially considering the ratings they receive. Setanta also have a few each year so between the two there’s probably a match aired every other week on average during the season.

I’m no expert on media production or anything but wouldn’t there be big costs involved for clubs to air their matches live on Youtube anyway for probably little gains. At the very least, each club would then need a bloody expensive camera, a trained camera operator/producer, and a decent commentator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Hi all, I’ve been reading on this forum for a while but decided to join the conversation.

Here’s an in-depth interview I found with Ryle Nugent from a month or two ago explaining RTE’s stance on showing live domestic games, and Soccer Republic - http://www.intallaght.ie/rte-explain...land-coverage/

I’d obviously love us to have a live match on RTE every Friday, but to be fair, having 17 domestic soccer matches on RTE each year isn’t too bad, especially considering the ratings they receive. Setanta also have a few each year so between the two there’s probably a match aired every other week on average during the season.

I’m no expert on media production or anything but wouldn’t there be big costs involved for clubs to air their matches live on Youtube anyway for probably little gains. At the very least, each club would then need a bloody expensive camera, a trained camera operator/producer, and a decent commentator.
    The majority of clubs have someone who records the game for the manager to view in a DVD session etc after the games, surely it wouldnt be too hard to make this camera a live one? with a paid subscription and weekly content such as exclusive interviews,surely it would be a success? That said,the FAI would likely block it like they did with Rovers SRFC Tv.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    It's actually quite easy to set up a good quality live stream with a single camera. All the technology you need comes in a decent laptop. Add in professionally minded volunteers and away you go. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. With support from the FAI it could be up and running for next season....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LOI_Fanatic View Post
    The majority of clubs have someone who records the game for the manager to view in a DVD session etc after the games, surely it wouldnt be too hard to make this camera a live one? with a paid subscription and weekly content such as exclusive interviews,surely it would be a success? That said,the FAI would likely block it like they did with Rovers SRFC Tv.
    Not every camera can simply hook up and stream live content. There's a lot of extra equipment needed for a simple live broadcast of any quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    With RTE after losing the rights to the 6 Nations rugby, they're now down to the GAA, the Irish internationals and the LOI.

They should use the money they won't now spend on the rugby and do a deal with the FAI to invest in the LOI to develop a product to sell around the world.

Theres now a global Irish diaspora, as well as a global demand for televised football, which makes the LOI a potentially highly lucrative product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedwood View Post
    which makes the LOI a potentially highly lucrative product.
    Does not compute..

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    RTE also has Euro 2016, the Olympics, the World Cup...might not be as much money as we think.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    We all love the LOI but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it's something that it's not.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    We all love the LOI but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it's something that it's not.
    This... all day long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    RTE demand LOI football to show. If they don't have it, they'll kick up a fuss, as they do every time they lose sports rights.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast