Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finn Harps Promotion/Relegation Play Off 2/11/15 - 6/11/15

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts

Finn Harps Promotion/Relegation Play Off 2/11/15 - 6/11/15

Just to break off from the Sligo thread, which has been badly derailed.

I think the Limerick set-up got too relaxed before the Derry game, and I'd hate to see the same thing happen again on Monday (sort of why I was a bit put out by POS celebrations on the pitch). Harps will know the Limerick defence is dodgy - you can bet they'll have spent a lot of today pouring over the Sligo game thanks to RTE - and they'll have a right go at Kanyuka if he plays. He makes bad decisions constantly, whether its in his clearances or when he chooses to foul, and Harps are going to try and exploit that. Indeed, any time Limerick make any kind of pass in their third you can bet Harps will be all over them trying to force an error.

Lynch back in I think, but if Tracy is dropped to facilitate Sean Russell in defence I'm going to get really annoyed...

If Limerick play like they did against Sligo, they should win, but no way Finn Harps don't score in MF I feel.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    What formation do you think we'll play?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Personally, I'd be happy with 0-0 going back to Finn Park and I think that's the game we'll be set up to play.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    We should be putting these away handy enough preferably in the first leg as I can't travel Friday.

Granted haven't seen them play in a couple of years but lookin at that squad suggests the first division is terrible rather than harps being especially good.

They'll probably butcher us but class should out.

Probably be a 2 all draw in Limerick and we 'll win something like 7 5 in Ballybofey.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Personally, I'd be happy with 0-0 going back to Finn Park and I think that's the game we'll be set up to play.
    You think? No away goals rule I know, but think it would be strange for Harps to not try and score in MF considering how bad the defence has been at times for Limerick over the last few games.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    You think? No away goals rule I know, but think it would be strange for Harps to not try and score in MF considering how bad the defence has been at times for Limerick over the last few games.
    Harps away record this season hasn't been too great though. Only 6 wins in 14 games away from home. Our home record had us second in the table.

Our 3-5-2/5-3-2 formation won't suit the bigger pitch as we play an awful lot through the middle. The Finn Park pitch was narrowed for UCD to restrict them from playing wide football.

We're well capable of playing some great football at times, but we're also excellent at frustrating and restricting teams to negative rubbish. Expecting a scrappy affair in MF and a more attacking game in Finn Park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    A lot easier for ye to sit back and defend against far weaker teams than us in the first division though and on tight pitches the size of our pitch and with people like Clarke and Turner in our team I think it could be a dangerous think for Harps to come and try to just soak up pressure. I have seen Harps once or twice this season nowhere near enough to be able to judge them accurately but they seemed not too different to the Harps teams I was used to seeing in the first division.

I really hope we can have this put away before we need to go to Ballybofey as I really don't fancy that long of a trip while being a nervous wreck Sligo was bad enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Miles different to previous Harps teams. Horgan has done a wonderful job and it's as hard working and positive a Harps team I've seen since out last promotion season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I think he'll go with the same 11 and introduce Lynch maybe around the 55 minute mark. Sean Russell was excellent in the middle Friday night and deserves to stay there. Lynch could really stretch a tiring Harps when introduced with a point to prove after his recent dip. Expect a massive crowd. The televised game has done wonders for our profile. Everyone I meet is going. Expect the railings to be 10 deep and a crowd of 4k plus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Miles different to previous Harps teams. Horgan has done a wonderful job and it's as hard working and positive a Harps team I've seen since out last promotion season.
    Like I said I hadn't seen enough to make a real judgement just the 2 games I seen it was the same as before solid tough team with one or two ball players thrown in. I'd much rather be playing UCD tbh but I wonder has playing against better opposition all season helped us considering some of the crap Harps have gone up against.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    That's the fear for us. We've not faced any real quality this season beyond Wexford, UCD and two games v Longford.

It's got tougher for us with the news of an extended injury list coming to the fore. This could be fun.
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 01/11/2015 at 1:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    That's the fear for us. We've not faced any real quality this season beyond and UCD, twWexfordUCDup games against Longford as good as it got after that.

It's gotten a lot tougher for us with the news of an extended injury list coming to the fore. This could be fun.
    Ah that is probably the old highly doubtful but will 100% be playing type of news though. I am really looking forward to these 2 games. Will ye bring many down tomorrow? Awful day for ye to have to travel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Nope, Nathan Boyle struggled through Friday. He's finished this season supposedly.

McHugh hobbled off injured on Friday.

Foy requires surgery on his knee at the end of the season anyway.

McNulty is just back from a shoulder problem, took a knock in both UCD games.

Josh Mailey was actually hurt in goal celebrations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Hard to know with Harps crowds too. A lot of people driving, not too many bus numbers yet. I say there'll be close to 100 down. Terrible night for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Nope, Nathan Boyle struggled through Friday. He's finished this season supposedly. edit he'll play in both games you watch

McHugh hobbled off injured on Friday. edit: Means nothing he'll play in both games

Foy requires surgery on his knee at the end of the season anyway. edit: so he'll play in two more games this week

McNulty is just back from a shoulder problem, took a knock in both UCD games. edit: so he'll play in both games having recovered

Josh Mailey was actually hurt in goal celebrations
    edit :lol he'll be grand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    McNulty spent last Friday night in hospital after the UCD game. He's hard as nails though and while he probably should be sitting out the game, I'd say he will play.

After that, Lord knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Hard to know with Harps crowds too. A lot of people driving, not too many bus numbers yet. I say there'll be close to 100 down. Terrible night for it.
    Ya tbh I was praying for a UCD win if we had to be away first its an awful trip to have to make of a Monday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    The Facebook attendance for this event just passed the one for the opening night against drogs. If you're less than 6 foot tall get there early!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    How much does the away stand hold? The sold out signs could go up tomorrow night. It'll be a great occasion nonetheless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    300 and something. They'll put home fans in the rest of the seats if harps don't fill it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast