Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finn Harps Promotion/Relegation Play Off 2/11/15 - 6/11/15

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Was told just over 5,000 both stands full new terrace beside stand opened up jammed

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I thought harps bang average I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me but they offered nothing.
    With them having to.come out now and try and score I fancy us to score a couple

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I was only listening on the radio, but it seemed like Harps had a good few chances, including one great one late on. While they may have come from Limerick mistakes, you can bet that will carry through to Ballybofey.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Harps missed two open nets and had a stonewall penalty turned down. We done what we set up to do, frustrate Limerick and defend. We take a slender disadvantage to Finn Park and will play an entirely different game. Set up for a photo finish.

Also, quick shout to the shoddy treatment of Harps fans by the stewards. It's a brilliant stadium, but facilities for away fans are crap. One portaloo for men, one for women. 11 euro for a burger and a bottle of water. No segregation and half the away section filled with home fans leaving no seats for half the Harps crowd who travelled, scoffed at by the head steward when it was pointed out to him. Bus broke down carrying 33 Harps fans, the stewards were made aware of it, but they started letting more home fans into the away section and claiming Harps fans were in the wrong.

Finn Park isn't exactly the Camp Nou, but you'd never get treatment like we got tonight there.
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 02/11/2015 at 11:39 PM.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Harps missed two open nets and had a stonewall penalty turned down. We done what we set up to do, frustrate Limerick and defend. We take a slender disadvantage to Finn Park and will play an entirely different game. Set up for a photo finish.

Also, quick shout to the shoddy treatment of Harps fans by the stewards. It's a brilliant stadium, but facilities for away fans are crap. One portaloo for men, one for women. 11 euro for a burger and a bottle of water. No segregation and half the away section filled with home fans leaving no seats for half the Harps crowd who travelled, scoffed at by the head steward when it was pointed out to him. Bus broke down carrying 33 Harps fans, the stewards were made aware of it, but they started letting more home fans into the away section and claiming Harps fans were in the wrong.

Finn Park isn't exactly the Camp Nou, but you'd never get treatment like we got tonight there.
    On the balance of play Limerick should have won by a larger margin, but the match could easily have been something mad like 3-2. I gave a more complete analysis of the match in the main forum so I'll just c/p it below.

Harps are very good at kicking the ball 50 yards in the air, and even better at kicking people. Limerick should have had the game dead and buried by half time.

Harps came more in to the match as both sides tired, missed an absolute sitter when Hall went walkabouts, and it probably was a peno. On the other hand, the harps right back should have been sent off, was good for at least 3 yellows if you count the amount of times fouls were made, two were blatant, one which he was carded for.

Massive crowd, I don't think it was 5k personally, but I couldn't see how many were on terraces to the left of the stand, so maybe it's possible. Limerick might struggle on a narrower pitch in the 2nd leg, but they should never lose to harps over two legs, there's a big gulf in footballing ability. You'd just worry about their ability to do all sorts of nonsense in defense.

On an aside, some sections of the crowd were so, so negative, and very vocal about it, jeering the players when they had the temerity to pass backwards and retain possession, I'm all for seizing the initiative and trying to win the game by more, Limerick were so obviously knackered and incapable of really stretching the game beyond the 60 min mark, still getting decent chances, but getting a fair amount of stick when they weren't piling men forward.
    Sorry to hear about how you were treated, it's completely unacceptable, I don't think the club really know how to deal with big crowds yet, there's plenty of niggles that annoy me, let alone crap like that.

Safe trip home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Speaking of facilities where will Limerick fans be placed Friday because the only 2 choices really are on a terrace in the cowshed with no seats at all or on an open terrace isn't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Limerick fans will be on the away terrace, the gantry side of the ground. Seats are available to anyone who wants a seat though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    You'll be put on the gantry side towards the river end of the ground,bring a jacket and an umbrella !!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Should have scored at least 2 or 3 played well first half got tired second half which is to be expected with the short turn around , Harps looked very average indeed will be disappointed if Limerick go out overall to them the ref did no favours to the game should have started showing the yellow cards much earlier persistent fouling all night by harps . How anyone can think Kelly should have got a red it was a great tackle. Looking at the pitch from the highlights of harps v ucd not going to do Limerick any favours it looks terrible it will be a night of hoof ball. What a crowd fantastic to see the place full the club needs to stay up and will get stronger and stronger over the next few years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lims4ever View Post
    Should have scored at least 2 or 3 played well first half got tired second half which is to be expected with the short turn around , Harps looked very average indeed will be disappointed if Limerick go out overall to them the ref did no favours to the game should have started showing the yellow cards much earlier persistent fouling all night by harps . How anyone can think Kelly should have got a red it was a great tackle. Looking at the pitch from the highlights of harps v ucd not going to do Limerick any favours it looks terrible it will be a night of hoof ball. What a crowd fantastic to see the place full the club needs to stay up and will get stronger and stronger over the next few years
    Wow. Really?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I was in the main stand right in front of kelly s challenge it was a straight red card all day two feet were off the ground yes he got the ball but you can't go off the ground like that with studs showing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas72 View Post
    I was in the main stand right in front of kelly s challenge it was a straight red card all day two feet were off the ground yes he got the ball but you can't go off the ground like that with studs showing.
    If you were the Ref on a nite like that would you send off a home player, right in front of the main stand full of passionate home fans!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    If you were the Ref on a nite like that would you send off a home player, right in front of the main stand full of passionate home fans!
    Impartiality I had assumed was left to the linesman on the popular side.

The officials have a job to do, the referee bottled it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    It shouldn't matter, if the Ref is! doing his job right the player should walk simple as that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Impartiality I had assumed was left to the linesman on the popular side.

The officials have a job to do, the referee bottled it.
    Just like he bottled the yellow card when Clarke was clattered after 10 mins. Finally showed a yellow to the Harps player on his 3rd bookable offence. Rob Rogers is just a poor referee.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    We take a slender disadvantage to Finn Park and will play an entirely different game.
    I'd say it will be a fairly similar game actually, at least early on.

Harps will defend deep and wide, but maybe the narrow pitch will mean they won't have to commit so many players to that and will have more going forward.

I'd say Harps have a fair idea about how to defend against us, but I don't think they learned much about where they can get goals from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    It'll be a tight game, in fairness to Harps they can get a goal from anywhere and from anyone, nerves will play a major part in this game, few days rest and light training and Harps will be ready for game
    We are the SR the SRFC.......
    Part time Finn Harps too :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Market's Field View Post
    Just like he bottled the yellow card when Clarke was clattered after 10 mins. Finally showed a yellow to the Harps player on his 3rd bookable offence. Rob Rogers is just a poor referee.
    I've no doubt Gareth Harkin can count himself lucky to get away with his yellow card too. Damien McNulty could well have had a second yellow.

As I said, the ref bottled it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It was great to win this home game considering how poor our last 2 home performances were and great to see such a big attendance also. In relation to stewarding I think the club need to take a serious look at the age someone has to be to carry out the job. I saw one young girl around maybe 16 or 17 years old who was a steward in the main stand. She was far too young to be acting as a steward. Also, one male steward who was wearing a stewards high-viz jacket (which stated steward) was banging on a large drum (beside our fans doing all the singing in the main stand). He should be there carrying out his job working as a steward instead of acting as a fan. He cannot be both. Best of luck to the lads on their trip to Finn Park on Friday, lets hope they can finish the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    How many you reckon you'll take up on Friday?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast