Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sligo Rovers v Limerick FC Relegation Decider

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Great result, great feeling, no let's not mess up against Harps...great effort last night, Kanyuka was awful again though

Just scraped through to the play offs after being cat for the majority of the season and what do we get an argument over formations...that's Limerick for you..

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ha ha fair enough ... Think harps will be tough enough ... Lots of experience in their team, should get through over two legs , it'll be close though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Ha ha fair enough ... Think harps will be tough enough ... Lots of experience in their team, should get through over two legs , it'll be close though
    Yeah we're always going to concede, full sure we'd go down because of that...if we're 3 goals up after Monday night I MIGHT think that we'll survive(although come Friday I'll probably think the worst again)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    5-2 over two legs ... That's comfort for us ha ha

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Any chance the second leg will be on telly?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Alan is that not contradicting yourself by agreeing with Tg ?did you not say it was clearly a 4-1-4-1 and put up a pic to prove it , my two pics show a 4-2-3-1 , and that's only the first few minutes , I'm sure if I looked I could see a 4-1-2-3- in lots of incidents but I think your missing my overall point , I think personally that you have to watch a game live to see everything that's going on if your going to report on it , you don't see enough on the TV IMO especially if your going to go into tactical detail , also Robbie Williams for e looked decent live , got his defence up and right line when needed and covered Tracey and kanuka very well plus the conditions played a part and the wind was very strong and played a part also . And again I'm not disrespecting your report and enjoy reading the reports on the junior games you attend .and by the way I agree with Tg , it's clearly a 433 the question is ? Is it a 1-2 in the centre or a 2-1 and live it looked when attacking 1-2 when defending 2-1
    I'm not contradicting myself at all. If you come to the tactical analysis party, you should probably be aware that the terms 4-3-3 and 4-1-4-1 are interchangeable. The former and latter refer to the shape in the attacking and defensive phases respectively. The equivalent defensive shape for the 4-2-3-1 that you remain convinced that you saw last night - even though the goalkeeping coach has confirmed otherwise - is 4-4-1-1. Ironically, the convention among football writers of an analytical bent - and aspiring ones like me - is to describe the 4-3-3 as a 4-1-4-1 to avoid confusion!

I'm glad you read the junior stuff. I often make data slips in those that require correction. But I pride myself on my analysis - something I'm aiming to make a living from down the line. Watching the game on TV can be restrictive. But we've now proven that, in this case, although you were an attendee you were wrong to wade in and criticise someone who wasn't. You should probably acknowledge that now.

Finally, try not to play the away fan "big I am" card going forward. It's tiresome.

Reminds me of the Irish fan who was reproached for being a dick in the Aviva a couple of years back, only to utter the immortal response: "Were you even in Yerevan?"
    Last edited by AlanOB; 31/10/2015 at 9:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanOB View Post
    I'm not contradicting myself at all. If you come to the tactical analysis party, you should probably be aware that the terms 4-3-3 and 4-1-4-1 are interchangeable. The former and latter refer to the shape in the attacking and defensive phases respectively. The equivalent defensive shape for the 4-2-3-1 that you remain convinced that you saw last night - even though the goalkeeping coach has confirmed otherwise - is 4-4-1-1. Ironically, the convention among football writers of an analytical bent - and aspiring ones like me - is to describe the 4-3-3 as a 4-1-4-1 to avoid confusion!

I'm glad you read the junior stuff. I often make data slips in those that require correction. But I pride myself on my analysis - something I'm aiming to make a living from down the line. Watching the game on TV can be restrictive. But we've now proven that, in this case, although you were an attendee you were wrong to wade in and criticise someone who wasn't. You should probably acknowledge that now.

Finally, try not to play the away fan "big I am" card going forward. It's tiresome.

Reminds me of the Irish fan who was reproached for being a dick in the Aviva a couple of years back, only to utter the immortal response: "Were you even in Yerevan?"
    Mind you don't disappear up your own hole there...can you just get over it and enjoy the fact we've made the play-offs...hope you congratulated Eddie Hickey as well not just asked him for confirmation to win an argument on the internet

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harpin View Post
    Mind you don't disappear up your own hole there...can you just get over it and enjoy the fact we've made the play-offs...hope you congratulated Eddie Hickey as well not just asked him for confirmation to win an argument on the internet
    Totally agree that formations are interchangeable and if you read my posts earlier I have made reference to that ...and an image only captures a moment in time ...you see more at the game simple as , I never claimed to be a an away fan , only been to 2 , I would of said the same if you reported on a home game , you need to be there to properly analyse , and I'm sure Eddie is not going to go into in depth analysis of the outfield players , and probably just agreeing with you in case you take it as a personal attack as you seem to be doing with me , I am not personally attacking you just my opinion on the game and that if you are to analyse a game tactically you need to be there or video it at a wide angle to see the whole picture and maybe software of some sort to analyse , there's lots of free ones out there , agree with harpin btw ,hope your not point scoring ....I'm going to actually finish on this post because it's tiring and annoying that your taking it so personal ...all the best in your future endeavour s sincerely

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Who cares if it was a 10-0-0 formation ffs stupid bickering about something that means nothing now. What a special special night that was. Anyone that was there will surely never forget it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    If someone is going to come at me and categorically - and incorrectly - state that I'm talking through my arse, of course I'm going to take it personally. I'm entitled to respond to that. The bickering stems from the individual in question refusing to hold his hands up - and instead opting to go to increasingly implausible lengths to avoid doing so.

And harpin, I did indeed congratulate Eddie first. Don't you worry your head about that. And he in turn expressed appreciation that an aspiring journalist was attempting to engage with the game on an analytical basis, rather than just talking about the game "for the sake of it". His words.

I know some people take the attitude that going beyond the emotion and actually thinking about the game is somehow shameful. Good to know that one of our side's coaches doesn't agree with that.
    Last edited by AlanOB; 31/10/2015 at 4:16 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Sorry I hurt your feelings Alan , your right I apologise I spoke to 2 players and they said Duggy was sitting when attacking and when defending o connor dropped in to become a two ... I was only making what I thought was a valid point about you see way more at a game , never said you were talking out your arse ...it's a game of opinions ,and Agree who really cares looking forward to Monday and as I said earlier best of luck in the future and try not to be so emotional when someone expresses an opinion that you don't like

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Jeez AlanOB, could you have been any more massively precious about this ? PrincessOB henceforth

Great night for Limerick, and delighted for the lads who follow them up and down the country, but a great night for all involved. Big refocus needed though, it would be a nightmare to sink Vs harps after a memory like tonight.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Great result,some brilliant performances,Duggan,Hall and o connor in particular,the victory a fitting reward for the fans who travelled and never stopped all night supporting the team....indeed ironic the chairman came out blowing kisses to the at games end given he banned some at start of season and i would say he and some players well over the top on celebrations[we lived to fight another week,professionals celebrating avoiding the potential drop..spare me.]given recent form a playoff is a deserved outcome,mon will be interesting ,contrast in styles,another test of mental strength for everybody.its a test we should be passing with ease,hopefully an A plus.
    Last edited by da bishop; 31/10/2015 at 6:27 PM.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I wouldn't say the celebrations were over the top. It was as much because of the way we got out of the drop rather than just getting out of it. Like if we were second from bottom for a while I doubt there would have been celebrations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Sorry I hurt your feelings Alan , your right I apologise I spoke to 2 players and they said Duggy was sitting when attacking and when defending o connor dropped in to become a two ... I was only making what I thought was a valid point about you see way more at a game , never said you were talking out your arse ...it's a game of opinions ,and Agree who really cares looking forward to Monday and as I said earlier best of luck in the future and try not to be so emotional when someone expresses an opinion that you don't like
    This is not at all a question of opinions.

You stated that my report was factually incorrect. You then went on to also make a point about seeing more at the ground than on TV. I don't dispute that point. No-one would. I do dispute you calling me out for a lack of knowledge and/or ability to read the game.

You were wrong to do that.

And you've continued to refuse to admit that.

As followers of my work know, I'm only too happy to hold up my hands when I'm wrong. I'm often wrong on little details at the local level.

You're clearly not happy to do that. Imagining Eddie was knowingly lying to me to prevent yourself from admitting that you were caught out! And now, suddenly, two players have said the opposite! I mean, really!

And I'm the one being precious? I despair at times...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by da bishop View Post
    Great result,some brilliant performances,Duggan,Hall and o connor in particular,the victory a fitting reward for the fans who travelled and never stopped all night supporting the team....indeed ironic the chairman came out blowing kisses to the at games end given he banned some at start of season and i would say he and some players well over the top on celebrations[we lived to fight another week,professionals celebrating avoiding the potential drop..spare me.]given recent form a playoff is a deserved outcome,mon will be interesting ,contrast in styles,another test of mental strength for everybody.its a test we should be passing with ease,hopefully an A plus.
    I think you have a very solid point there. I deliberately avoided writing that the great escape was complete. It isn't. Pat's celebrations didn't sit well with me either, for that reason. Not necessarily for the reason you stated. Although he handled that situation incredibly poorly (in a pub, no less) at the beginning of the season, there was some validity to his concerns. More than some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Honest to god I don't think anyone will ever enjoy your work as much as you seem to Alan. You are writing reports on football games mostly junior games at that its a hobby isn't it? Stop taking yourself so seriously ffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Whatever.

I'm sure you'd be happy to let his original post lie if you were in my shoes, yeah?

I don't take myself seriously at all. I do take my work seriously alright. It's a hobby now, but I have secured my first paying job for next season - all going well.

If you don't enjoy my work, that's your prerogative. I won't be cowed into not fighting my corner when my work has been unfairly discredited.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanOB View Post
    Whatever.

I'm sure you'd be happy to let his original post lie if you were in my shoes, yeah?

I don't take myself seriously at all. I do take my work seriously alright. It's a hobby now, but I have secured my first paying job for next season - all going well.

If you don't enjoy my work, that's your prerogative. I won't be cowed into not fighting my corner when my work has been unfairly discredited.
    I'd have questioned his first comment yes but the last comment you replied to was clearly him attempting to just have it done with but you couldn't just leave it. Its the same on facebook you get very defensive if someone says anything against it. If you are going to get paid for it next season than fair play to you and best of luck with it but if its going to a wider audience you will need to get used to people speaking badly about it someone always will no matter what.

I actually like a lot of your work I thought you were spot on with the formation you gave and made good points in other parts, there are also 2 points in the report on the Sligo game I disagree with but that doesn't mean I am discrediting your work or don't enjoy it overall I have enjoyed your work on the junior game a lot. You do seem to get very sensitive at times though that isn't intended as an insult or anything just my own view and tbh you do seem to think quite highly of yourself with some of the comments on here and others I have seen from you elsewhere like this "I know some people take the attitude that going beyond the emotion and actually thinking about the game is somehow shameful" is just nonsense really..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    i think the reports are quite good,a lot of work goes into them,nothing wrong with him taking that work seriously given the time he obviously puts in.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast