Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: will anymore eL players get capped next year?

gypsyfella

will anymore eL players get capped next year?

i think a few looked good this season and hoped Europe would helpo more players make the step up...

but from what Kerr said y'day it doesn;t look good...

Kerr warns league stars
    19 December

Brian Kerr has warned eircom League players hoping to emulate Glen Crowe and Jason Byrne?s call up to the senior international side: you?ll have to prove yourself at a higher level to get into my team.

Kerr insists that there are few bigger and more passionate eircom League fans out there than him, but he is not convinced that the standard of the players in the league are ready yet to make the step up to senior internationals.

Shelbourne and Cork have boosted the league?s image this year, but Kerr believes that the players still have a long way to go to trouble Robbie Keane and co.

He said: ?The general Irish public who are not interested in the league as much as we would be don?t care about domestic players making it to my team. It?s a nice idea for them but at the end of the day they want to see the best players.

?We?ve seen some progress with the teams in Europe this year but unfortunately the teams we?re comparing ourselves to have not done so well. Rosenborg only got a couple of points this year, while Deportivo, who beat Shels, didn?t score a single goal. It?s getting harder all the time.

?I don?t see things changing dramatically in the near future because if there?s someone in the league that is good enough to be in the International team then clubs in England or Scotland would want to sign them.

?And most clubs here are still delighted if a club wants to sign their player, but we?re still selling players at the price we were selling players ten year ago.

?That might change if we start winning in Europe but for me I doubt there is anyone who has as much respect for league and toughness of competition in the league as me ? but the reality is that the international standard is so much higher.

?Glen Crowe got a go in Greece and he did quite well, but his form dipped in the league soon after that. I took Jason Byrne in then and he did OK, but that?s it.

When you look at Jason in European competition he only got a couple of chances in the games they played and failed to score. But if he was on a pitch every week getting those chances with people breathing down his neck ? how would he be?

?Robbie Keane creates stuff for us and scores goals with his runs but that?s because he?s creating them every week with Spurs ? where he has to face defenders that are all over him.

?We have seen a few players make it to the under-21 side but the reality of the senior side is that I?m not even picking players from the 2nd or 3rd division in England and in Scotland I can?t really look outside the top 2 or maybe Hearts who are being helped with their Euro exposure.

?Change might occur, but it will take a long time and that?s where the technical development plan will help move things along.?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

B Team

We need an Irish B Team. Or an Olympic team. It would be an ideal stepping stone for players to shine without actually having to move to foreign climbs to play in lower leagues 'proving themselves at a higher level'.

Other countires do this with their domestic leagues, we even do it with our junior leagues and first division clubs with some success. crowds of up to 10,000 would be likely and Tolka Dalymount Turners Cross would provide ideal venues. Would also improve the prospects of the irish clubs in Europe if the players got more experience of big matches and other styles of play.

Come on FAI get your thumb out of your arse.

Clones Road Casual

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones Road Cas
    We need ........ an Olympic team.
    Bang on.I can't understnd why we don't put an eL represenataive side in for this competition. I think there is some age requirement (U 23?), but no matter whether we qualify or not, eL players should be getting this type of competition.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How come Kerr doesnt call on irish internationals plying in england to prove themselves at a higher level. Surely for their own careers and Irelands progress we need some of these guys playing in europes top league - spain.

Why did Kerr mention Rosenborg as an EL team didnt play them this season.

You cant anyway take Rosenborgs one bad season as an indication. They are bound to fail every now and again. Didnt they have the record of qualifying for the CL 9 times in a row?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    Bang on.I can't understnd why we don't put an eL represenataive side in for this competition. I think there is some age requirement (U 23?), but no matter whether we qualify or not, eL players should be getting this type of competition.
    Qualification is via the European Championships at Under-21 level (squads at the Olympic finals themselves comprise Under-23 teams with three optional overage platers). Unless the FAI decided to field an entirely eL-based team at this level, there's no chance of the scenario you outline above coming to pass.

I'm stunned and dismayed by these comments from Kerr, I think he's revealed himself to be the Barstooler's Barstooler. I shall have to switch from indifference towards the "national" team to actively rooting against it, it's nothing but a cancer on Irish football and can only hold it back.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Kerr is right. No EL player is ready yet. Jason Byrne might score on Friday nights in the EL, but some of the chance he missed in Europe were a joke. Kerr gave him a chance, which boosted Byrnes profile and the profile of Shels. But decided Byrne wasn't ready for it. Now the Shels fans spend every match slagging off and singing songs of hatred towards our international manager. Face it lads, he's WAY down the pecking order.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Kerr may be right, but it sticks in the craw when he then goes and picks the likes of Macken to represent "his country".....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Why does he single out eL players. No mention of Lee, Connolly etc. Think it's bad management to single out players and say that they won't get a place.

He was most likely ASKED this question about EL players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    Kerr may be right, but it sticks in the craw when he then goes and picks the likes of Macken to represent "his country".....
    Macken is a Premiership player. And whether you like it or not, he is a Republic of Ireland international. Accept it and support him

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Bottom line is Kerr goes to the eL and makes an informed opinion whether their good enough for the squad. If doesn't, then fair enough IMO.

However that doesn't mean I accept the likes of Macken and Morrison should even be playing for our international team, but that's a different arguement...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    kerr is a fool. give a man a suit and watch the change in attitude. he guy is absolutely full of himself. if he meant what he said, why did he play yer man elliott, and not give kevin doyle a chance when he scored in europe and for the U21's and elliott had hardly played first team football? the man is so blinded by his own ego he probably can't even remember what the eircom league is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Kerr goes to more EL matches than most people on this site. Are we starting an anti Brian Kerr site here, because he won't pick players from the clubs you support over players you know nothing about.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    he can go to all the games he wants. and keep his "man of the people" image if he wants. I still think he's a fool. Anyone who puts morrison in any team needs their head checked, especially at the expense of the likes of doyle or elliott. I have no intention of getting drawn into a debate about kerr, or turning it into an anti-kerr rant, I just don't like the guy. I think he's got too big for his boots and is forgetting where he came from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Sorry to hear you don't support your country then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    kerr is a fool. give a man a suit and watch the change in attitude. he guy is absolutely full of himself. if he meant what he said, why did he play yer man elliott, and not give kevin doyle a chance when he scored in europe and for the U21's and elliott had hardly played first team football? the man is so blinded by his own ego he probably can't even remember what the eircom league is
    Elliott has scored 9 goals (I think?) in the English first division, or whatever its called these days, which is a FAR higher standard than the EL.

Oh ye of short memory to accuse Brian Kerr of forgetting his past. The mans forgotten more about domestic football than you'll ever know.

Face it, the EL standard is improving, but it ain't there yet. The only reason Crowe and Byrne were picked at the time was that the alternatives up front just weren't there, eg David Connolly, who has long ago proven his inadequacy at international level.

And Kerr is right, name me one Irish club which has turned down a 6 figure plus transfer fee for a player. I'm certainly not aware of any.

Or maybe Kerr just has an anti-Cork bias

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    Qualification is via the European Championships at Under-21 level (squads at the Olympic finals themselves comprise Under-23 teams with three optional overage platers). Unless the FAI decided to field an entirely eL-based team at this level, there's no chance of the scenario you outline above coming to pass.

I'm stunned and dismayed by these comments from Kerr, I think he's revealed himself to be the Barstooler's Barstooler. I shall have to switch from indifference towards the "national" team to actively rooting against it, it's nothing but a cancer on Irish football and can only hold it back.
    People - take the blinkers off. Kerr is basically pointing out the truth here. He has to pick the team that will do the best job for Ireland on the pitch. Now I wish it wasn't the case, but there isn't a single player in our league worthy of regular listing within the ROI squad. Fact. Kerr could add Crowe or Byrne to the occasional squad for meaningless friendlies and bring them on in injury time, but that wouldn't do anyone - including the players- any good.

And in the very year that our league finally does make ostensible improvements in Europe and in the public's eyes, what happens - the international team also improves, and edges towards being in the world's top 10. So the gap remains as big as ever.

The Eircom League is a lot more cosmpolitan now than it probably ever was. We have players from nationas throughout Europe and elsewhere in the world - many from countries light-years down the international rankings than Ireland. Yet, how many of these overseas players are CURRENT internationals for their own country ? Eric Lavine with Barbados, and that's it as far as I can recall (though I am open to correction). If we can't supply players of international standard for lesser nations, why are we demanding the right to do so for the nation ranked 12th in the world ? We've plenty of Ulstermen playing in the Eircom, yet haven't delivered a Northern Irish international in over 15yrs (pre-injury Liam Coyle). And they're ranked 107th in the world, ffs !

Like he says, Kerr is a genuine Eircom League fan. But he's also not in a position to use that to currently provide anything other than token gestures of recognition to our league when picking his team, which he feels isn't the right thing to do. Any realistic person who understands football can't blame him for that.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    Can't believe the stupidity of some people here! Ask most eL fans and they'll say that the Premier Division is about about Division 2 standard, with maybe the lowre teams being Division 3 standard and probably top half in Scotland(whether or not that's true is a different argument!). Yet Kerr has expressly stated that he has the same message for players in those divisions as for the eL players! So what's the problem?!

I've seen Kerr at plenty of matches, even at Belfield in the First Division last year. To say he's forgotten the eL is ridiculous. When there are clubs in the league who can't even beat teams of Estonian or Liechtensteinian internationals, how on earth can you turn around and whinge when the players aren't called up for the national team to play France or Switzerland? Kerr's job is to pick the best Ireland XI he can - including ex-pats, emigrants' children and whatever is available to him - and not to boost the eL.

If a player is good enough, he's good enough, and only then should he get a call-up. And if anyone knows who those players are, it's Kerr.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Kerr is only speaking the truth. No player who plays in the EL should get an international call-up. The standard of football in the EL is simply not good enough. We're on a par with Division Two, yet when a Division Two player gets picked everyone goes mental.
    I love to see EL players get call-ups (I cheered for Glen Crowe, FFS, and that was in his gypo days!) but we can't expect Kerr to start picking players from the EL routinely because the standard just isn't good enough. If the FAI bothered their arses actually attempting to develop the EL then we could all aim to have EL players fighting for international recognition within the next ten years. But the FAI don't give a crap. So it's not going to happen.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS4EVER
    Macken is a Premiership player. And whether you like it or not, he is a Republic of Ireland international. Accept it and support him
    Not everybody is blinded by the hype of "The Premiership", a two, possibly three, team league.
    I don't have to support anybody who would have decided that he was Chinese, if it suited his needs.

Whether you agree with Kerr or not, his opinion was needless, pointless and damaging.
    Needless because it puts the eL down for no reason.
    Pointless becuse no club or player in the eL can suddenly decide to join a league that Kerr thinks is at a "higher level".
    Damaging to the league becuse it gives even more ammunition to the pr*cks who will seize every opportunity to belittle and disparage the eL, without EVER having seen it.
    He could have simply said that he was always hopeful about the eL or some other harmless stuff and passed the question off. He could have simply kept his mouth shut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What I don't understand is he says he can call up Hearts players because of their form in Europe yet can't call up EL players. Look at Shels and Hearts form in Europe, Hearts got a whole one round further and that was only because they benefitted from the seeding given to them from two other clubs. Shels had to face what turned out to be a top team who finished first in their group and are challanging for one of Europes strongest leagues. Hearts couldn't even finish third in their group! Shels drew with this team before going out in the second leg, if Hearts played Lille they'd be doing well to even match that and if Shels were seeded in that draw I'd be very confident we'd have gotten to the next round.

Yet he says Hearts players, well Maybury, has proved himself at a high level now and Shels players, lets look at his direct competitor, Owen Heary, hasn't? What a joke. Heary got MOTM marking Spains first choice 15m rated winger against a world class team, not a high enough level eh? He's proven himself against internationals constantly, against teams like Split, Deportivo, Lille and Rosenborg, not many of our players can boast that they've aquitted themselves at a level that high. He also fails to mention how Rangers, despite being seeded, went out of the CL in the same round as Shels, and they faced an easier task then we did. They then benefitted from seeding in the first round of the UEFA cup, and still needing bleedin' penaltys to get through that, before failing to finish in the top three. Considerabley higher a standard that what Shels did? I think not.

I mean some of his comments are a joke, it really is like he's training to run the league down.

"I took Jason Byrne in then and he did OK, but that?s it."

Yes Brian, because any striker that doesn't score in two minutes of play should be disregarded immeditally as they're not up to it

"And most clubs here are still delighted if a club wants to sign their player, but we?re still selling players at the price we were selling players ten year ago"

That's wrong, Shels have turned down approaches from English clubs for their players constantly. It's well known Coventry wanted Wes Hoolahan, and Steve Williams said he was approached by clubs in England but was happy to stay at Shels.

"We?ve seen some progress with the teams in Europe this year but unfortunately the teams we?re comparing ourselves to have not done so well. Rosenborg only got a couple of points this year, while Deportivo, who beat Shels, didn?t score a single goal. It?s getting harder all the time."

And this, for me, defies all logic. First of all, he forgets to mention Lilles form. They won their group in the UEFA cup, something Rangers and Hearts oh so spectacularly failed to do, and are challanging for the title in one of Europes strongest leagues. He also fails to mention the Deportivo side that faced Shels had 10 of the 11 players who played in that match against AC Milan. It's like he's looking for the negative. Also, does he really think that Coventry Citys bench, where we're picking Barrett from, would do any better than that? Now I consider the first division to be a higher level alright but for someone who can't even break into the first team consistently of one of it's worst sides it's a different story, yet he'll give him chance after chance and ignore a player who got MOTM against Deportivo.

Rant over

But to the Pats fan, I'd imagine all this will do is make the Brian Kerr chants at Shels games even louder.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast