Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: will anymore eL players get capped next year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    I was saying he is a premiership player in comparison to an EL player. I don't support English soccer. But it doesn't take rocket science too see its a better standard of players than here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS4EVER
    I was saying he is a premiership player in comparison to an EL player. I don't support English soccer. But it doesn't take rocket science too see its a better standard of players than here
    Nobodys saying the premiership isn't better than the EL, but he doesn't just pick premiership players. If we had 23 premiership players it wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I like Kerr and all that, but it annoys me is that he has never been seen at Turners Cross. Where was he when we beat Malmo? Where was he when Doyle scored against NEC?

In general the standard is not good enought for the international team but there are individuals that surely must be close enough to the standard.(Heary, Doyle)

I think Kerr is doing an excellent job overall and he is very lucky to have Damien Duff. But Kerr is a lucky manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    If you read the whole thread you'll see I was talking about Jon Macken being picked

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If you read the whole thread you'll see I was talking about Jon Macken being picked
    Macken has now lost his place in the Man City first team, and when he was there he was rubbish. He played in the premiership but he certinaly did not prove himself to be a premiership standard player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    I'd say you Kerr haters are great fun to be around in Lansdowne Road. Great support altogether. Well done lads.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wouldn't deny for a minute that, on the whole, the premeirship is a much higher standard thah the eL, obviously.
    However, no matter whether he choose to speak about this himself or was asked a question, he did a lot of needless damage to a league that so many clubs are trying so hard to improve in the face of incedible difficulties put in it's way by the soccer authorities, of which he is the main "face", and he has added to thsoe difficuties now.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    "I took Jason Byrne in then and he did OK, but that?s it."

Yes Brian, because any striker that doesn't score in two minutes of play should be disregarded immeditally as they're not up to it
    He would have seen Byrne in training for two days as well, don't forget. Plenty of time to form an opinion. That's why you have training, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Slash/Ed
    If we had 23 premiership players it wouldn't be an issue.
    But we do have 23 Premiership and First Division players, which I've no problems about. Barrett has four goals for Coventry this season, so he is at least getting plenty of first-team action. Have to agree with you about Maybury and Hearts though.

Would be interested to see why he said these things. If he was asked by a journalist, he's hardly going to turn around and tell him to sod off.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harry crumb
    But Kerr is a lucky manager.
    How do you figure that?! The amount of preparation he puts into each match surely means that any good fortune is well-earned, not lucky!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd say you Kerr haters are great fun to be around in Lansdowne Road. Great support altogether. Well done lads.
    FFS.....
    Stupid post....
    Are you seriously trying to say that those who might dislike/disagree with Kerr are somehow lesser in thier support for their own country?
    Get a grip man, I detested Charlton and McCarthy, for instance, so did that mean I wanted my country to lose?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    He would have seen Byrne in training for two days as well, don't forget. Plenty of time to form an opinion. That's why you have training, after all.
    Byrne would barley have trained, he was flown over at the last minute along with Douglas and would probably have been knackered for the little bit of training he did take part in.

But we do have 23 Premiership and First Division players, which I've no problems about. Barrett has four goals for Coventry this season, so he is at least getting plenty of first-team action. Have to agree with you about Maybury and Hearts though.

Would be interested to see why he said these things. If he was asked by a journalist, he's hardly going to turn around and tell him to sod off.
    Barretts in and out of the Coventry team and personally I've never rated him. For me, he's still living off his reputation of being a promising youngster at a club like Arsenal.

And yeah I'd like t see why he said these things but even if he was asked by a journalist he didn't have to completley run down the league and it's players like he did. He's done alot of harm with these comments to the league he's supposedly such a fan of for me, more than he needed to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Well if what you're saying is what you call "support" then fair enough. Sorry.

gypsyfella
    Jesus lads just calm doon a bit!

it was in the SUnday MIrror and im sure it was Kerr who was asked about the eL players - not just come out with it!

it is very negative but i spose what he's getting at is that he wants players who are playing at that higher level consistently - i.e. not just one run in a summer...

Hearts werent great no, but in the case of Maybury he has to deal with better players than Heary on a regular basis plus he's played in Europe in the last few years.. not only this...

hard to see who would make the step up next season tho eh. cant see any myself..

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsyfella

it was in the SUnday MIrror and im sure it was Kerr who was asked about the eL players - not just come out with it!
    And he could have given a non-commital, say nothing really, answer.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Sorry to hear you don't support your country then.
    Its not my country. It has nothing to do with me. the "Republic of Ireland" represents british football and the FAI. It doesn't even represent the whole of ireland. It picks brit cast-offs like morrison holland and macken. So why should I support a joke of a team representing a joke of an association, supported by (mostly) idiots who support british football over their own? What has the ROI team ever done to support Cork City, or the eircom League? Nothing. So why should I support them?
    I don't hate him at all. I was glad to see him get the job. I just think he's made some very silly mistakes and I'm very annoyed about them. I don't go to landsdowne road, because I refuse to support a british team picked by the FAI, and line the FAI's pockets for the privilege.
    Last edited by Éanna; 21/12/2004 at 2:40 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy
    Elliott has scored 9 goals (I think?) in the English first division, or whatever its called these days, which is a FAR higher standard than the EL.
    you completely missed my point. over the summer when kerr was making noises about picking elliot, he didn't have those 9 goals in div one and had hardly played any first team football, while Doyle was pretty much equalling his scoring rate with the U21's, and scoring goals in europe. And as far as I'm concerned Nijmegen (and malmo and nantes) would be of AT LEAST first div standard in england.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsyfella
    Hearts werent great no, but in the case of Maybury he has to deal with better players than Heary on a regular basis plus he's played in Europe in the last few years.. not only this...
    So were Shels, Heary was playing superbly against the likes of Rosenborg long before this season. And it is on the European form of Hearts that Kerr is picking Maybury, at least he said as much himself, otherwise every player in the SPL would be pushing for a place in the international team. I seriously doubt the quality of the players Maybury faces regularly is good enough to be considered a high enough level to be picked for our international team, going by what Kerr has said.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm a fan of maybury's, I think he 's a very solid player, but Heary has just as much claim to a place in the squad as he has IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    And he could have given a non-commital, say nothing really, answer.
    If he had done that, people would still have moaned that he could have said something!!

All he's done is point out the obvious lads, no need to get hysterical about it.

And before anyone asks, I support the EL, I try to take in a game whenever I'm home, be it the Rams or City.

The simple answer is he doesn't think anyone in the EL is good enough at the moment because it's not the strongest league and they are not up against good quality players every week. Put them into a better league, be it the Premiership, Championship or La Liga and then he will see if they can cut it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    The simple answer is he doesn't think anyone in the EL is good enough at the moment because it's not the strongest league and they are not up against good quality players every week. Put them into a better league, be it the Premiership, Championship or La Liga and then he will see if they can cut it.
    Or the SPL, that centre of world class football that we're picking Maybury from...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast