Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Best Ground /fans experience

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I'm guessing you're talking about the chunks of different coloured seats. While i admit that it certainly looks a bit odd, and was clearly the result of a hap-hazard last minute dash to install seating, i don't think it detracts too much from the stadium overall, but that's just my opinion.
    No, it was planned that way.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Wasn't it some jobsbody councillor who decided a regular green and white pattern would make it too much like Rovers' ground, when it's the Council's ground?

That, and some (Dutch?) team who have multi-coloured seats so the ground always looks fuller than it is - except in that ground, it works because the colours are in batches of one to look like people, whereas Rovers' ground looks like some 6-year-old built it with lego.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Wasn't it some jobsbody councillor who decided a regular green and white pattern would make it too much like Rovers' ground, when it's the Council's ground?

That, and some (Dutch?) team who have multi-coloured seats so the ground always looks fuller than it is - except in that ground, it works because the colours are in batches of one to look like people, whereas Rovers' ground looks like some 6-year-old built it with lego.
    No, lots of grounds have the multicoloured pattern for the reasons you say. It clearly doesn't work in Tallaght, mind.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    No, it was planned that way.
    Interesting. I always presumed it was a result of a mad rush to install seats before the Real Madrid match or something and they were the only seats they could get their hands on.
    Any ideas why they chose red, yellow and white seats at the ends of the stands rather than other colours. Was this in anticipation that Pats may ground-share some day?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Turners Cross for me, in my view head and shoulders above the rest, with only Tallaght coming close. Galway is decent, Sligo too, Tolka was great once, Pats is tidy, Dalymount has potential, our place is beyond comment, needs so much done to it, and hopefully some improvements can start over the winter.

TC is one of the 'proper football grounds' I had the pleasure of visiting only once, back in April, brilliant atmosphere also, and to be fair it wouldn't look out of place in League 1 or SPL.
    Last edited by oriel; 18/11/2015 at 12:26 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Interesting. I always presumed it was a result of a mad rush to install seats before the Real Madrid match or something and they were the only seats they could get their hands on.
    Any ideas why they chose red, yellow and white seats at the ends of the stands rather than other colours. Was this in anticipation that Pats may ground-share some day?
    No idea, probably because they were the cheapest. There's no pattern to it at all. Doubt it has anything to do with Pats.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Article on it here from back at the time.

Thomond Park has multi-coloured seating as well actually - but it works quite well.

Edit - Sporting Lisbon is the "Dutch" side I was thinking of -

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    It wouldn't look so odd if they had the big multicoloured blocks all over, but the fact that they're mostly green and white, with only the ends of the stands with the blocks of red, white and yellow just looks like they ran out of green and white seats half way through the job.

Once they decided to go down the multicoloured route it would have been much better if they just went for this style. But it doesn't bother me at all, just always wondered what the reasoning was behind it.

I wonder what colour seats they'll put in the new stand?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Edit - Sporting Lisbon is the "Dutch" side I was thinking of -
    I'm not sure which part of that would upset them more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporting CP
    Our name is part of our identity. And our name is Sporting Clube de Portugal! #NotSportingLisbon
    https://twitter.com/sportingcp_en/st...93135701061637
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Yea the photo's above show how to do it properly. Maybe that was the intention in Tallaght but the installers got the wrong end of the stick...
    I suppose we'll never know.

I've never been to Turners cross unfortunately, but it's a pity the new stand doesn't span the full length of the pitch. I always find it disappointing when a lovely new ground is built but it's not fully enclosed. Same thing happened at Longford. I suppose planning restrictions were a factor at Cork because it's surrounded by buildings, but i just can't get my hear around the Longford one. If you're gonna install 7k odd seats why not make it enclosed, or at least make sure that seats are wrapped around the side that the TV gantry will be facing to make it look better on tv.

Come to think of it, nearly all the stadia in the west are excellent: Cork, Sligo, Galway. Limerick will be great when it's finished. Derry too. And hopefully Harps will be in their new place sooner rather than later. If we can just get the Louth stadia up to scratch our grounds won't be looking too bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Yea the photo's above show how to do it properly. Maybe that was the intention in Tallaght but the installers got the wrong end of the stick...
    I suppose we'll never know.

I've never been to Turners cross unfortunately, but it's a pity the new stand doesn't span the full length of the pitch.
    Which new stand? I assume you mean the Main Stand? The Donie Forde? I could be wrong but its the oldest stand in the stadium. Completed mid to late 90s with no real changes made to it since. The Curragh Road, or Shed End is the newest stand - built in 2006/07 though the roof went on the St. Annes end in 2008/09.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Which new stand? I assume you mean the Main Stand?
    Sorry for the confusion, i don't really know turners cross. I meant the stand that has the TV gantry inside it. I guess that's the main one?
    Don't get me wrong, turners cross is definitely the best ground in the league (by a distance), but if that stand was full length it would be absolutely flawless. Bear in mind that i'm going off this aerial photo so maybe it's outdated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Sorry for the confusion, i don't really know turners cross. I meant the stand that has the TV gantry inside it. I guess that's the main one?
    Don't get me wrong, turners cross is definitely the best ground in the league (by a distance), but if that stand was full length it would be absolutely flawless. Bear in mind that i'm going off this aerial photo so maybe it's outdated
    yeah thats the Donie Forde.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    I'm not sure which part of that would upset them more.

https://twitter.com/sportingcp_en/st...93135701061637
    I'm a Sporting fan myself, and I can say that Lisbon is just the worst thing you can call us. Mainly because our rivals, Benfica's full name is 'Sport Lisboa e Benfica', Sporting Lisbon sounds very similiar

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567