Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Airtricity League report

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    This is a sensible move by the top flight clubs, could it be the start of a process that sees the clubs breakaway from the FAI and set up there own league, you never know these things tend to gather momentum especially if the FAI stonewall them.
    Be careful what you wish for! The FAI have hardly covered themselves in glory with LoI. But it was no fun either when the league wasnt run by the FAI. Maybe clubs are better organised now than before, but petty rivalries and a slapdash attitude at administrative levels are not assured not to rear their heads again! Work within a framework with the FAI where clubs have not fallen at the feet of Delaney as some saviour this time. It is a good start not leaving clubs open to retribution for asking basic questions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    About time.
    I was wondering how far the clubs would be pushed before they woke up.
    Speaking with one voice is the only way for any kind of progress to be made.
    Being honest I thought I would never see the day.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think either a separate organisation for the First Division clubs or an expansion to include them is being considered and will probably happen.
    An expansion would be the way to go.
    All League clubs should be represented by one organisation.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Exactly. Leave it as premier only and you're open to the divide and conquer tactic right from the start. Any club that can survive in senior football deserves respect and a voice in these situations.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Be careful what you wish for! The FAI have hardly covered themselves in glory with LoI. But it was no fun either when the league wasnt run by the FAI. Maybe clubs are better organised now than before, but petty rivalries and a slapdash attitude at administrative levels are not assured not to rear their heads again! Work within a framework with the FAI where clubs have not fallen at the feet of Delaney as some saviour this time. It is a good start not leaving clubs open to retribution for asking basic questions.
    The thing is no matter how clubs are represented they will still need to apply for the annual licence so they can't go back to their old ways.
    Not that the licencing has stopped clubs getting into trouble.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    The thing is no matter how clubs are represented they will still need to apply for the annual licence so they can't go back to their old ways.
    Not that the licencing has stopped clubs getting into trouble.
    The thing with the licences is that under the current regime is that they ignore important parts of it when it suits them.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    I'd imagine the reason the FD clubs aren't included is becuase they would push for an extend/one division whereas most PD clubs will fight the recommendation to relegate up to 4 teams next season so by keeping the FD clubs out there's no divide within the group

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I'd imagine the reason the FD clubs aren't included is becuase they would push for an extend/one division
    Clubs with that ambition might as well save themselves a lot of misery and shut up shop now.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    Clubs with that ambition might as well save themselves a lot of misery and shut up shop now.
    You see my point though

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    You see my point though
    It's great that the PCA has been revived. Going on what happened with it before and what Eamonn Naughton has proven to be capable of, every club you invite adds to the danger that the last collapse of the PCA could come with it.

It's certainly not ideal that FD clubs are not involved at the moment, it's not like it's a huge league pyramid.

I don't think it will be long before everyone is included. Hopefully some positive change can come about because of it.

They might end up frustrating the barrister into moving on... but hopefully not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    "I don't agree with your view so you can go to hell". Isn't that the sort of thinking that the clubs are attempting to avoid currently?

Whether or not a club wants an expanded Premier, less teams, more teams, one division, two divisions or any other idea is irrelevant. All the clubs should be pulling together and having their voices heard, irrespective of their views for the league structure.

Absolutely agree that First Division teams should be involved as much as Cork City, Dundalk, Shamrock Rovers or any other teams.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    The thing with the licences is that under the current regime is that they ignore important parts of it when it suits them.
    True but in reality if they enforced the licensing system rigidly we'd probably end up with a six of seven team league for the entire country.
    I think what they are trying to do is to get every club to improve over time with the carrot & stick approach.
    Some clubs want to improve their standards but don't have the means or in some cases the knowledge needed so they are brought along gradually bit by bit in the hope that over a period of time they will be able to stand on their own feet with little help.
    At the moment the licensing system should be seen in shades of grey where every club is coaxed along rather than black & white where you're either in or out.

12. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I suspect what gufcfan may be referring to is that when Wellvan collapsed Derry were brought back in even though the deadline had passed, whereas when GUFC collapsed GUST were rejected. So on the one hand the licensing process is presented as a set of rules, but on the other hand it's clear shades of grey apply- which can be sensible, but can also undermine confidence in the system.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678