Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Micky Adams Appointed Sligo Manager

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    It's far from brilliant. If true it makes a mockery of the league and a big laugh in from Adams looking back. I'd be horrified if I was a Sligo fan about that incident. Mickey Adams, more like Mickey Mouse stuff.
    Ah come on Oriel, how does it make a mockery of the league?

If anything, I hope this story makes it into the mainstream media. It's probably the best practical joke i've ever heard. John Russell is an evil genius!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Ya heard that story alright. Apparently the players scattered and even some of the 'harder' guys like Elding were hiding under cars in the car park.

They were right to tell Nzuzi to leave town tho. The family that he got involved with are dangerous and have done some pretty bad sh1t to people over the years.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Sorry lads, i can't get it, this was during a training session when at the time the club was probably far from safe from relegation. I don't have a problem with player practical joking outside of the club and in their own time.

They are still not safe from relegation, all about attitudes and application, this kind of stuff is game for a laugh ok.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    So because someone had a bit of a joke at training in 2015 we're in the situation we are in now 2 seasons, 2 managers and pretty much a completely new squad of players since. Lighten up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    What I love is redbolt saying that even the "harder" lads like Elding were hiding. As if being hard includes standing there while someone is waving a gun around haha.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    What I love is redbolt saying that even the "harder" lads like Elding were hiding. As if being hard includes standing there while someone is waving a gun around haha.
    I heard a story about a former Harps striker who was a taxi man in Derry during the troubles, and at the time the IRA were using the proxy bombing tactic whereby they would force people to drive bombs to army bases etc. So a masked man gets into the taxi, pulls and sawn off shotgun and tells him to drive off. Gunman was told to %^&* off. He point blank refused to drive anywhere despite the threat. Eventually the gunman gave up and got out again.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I heard a story about a former Harps striker who was a taxi man in Derry during the troubles, and at the time the IRA were using the proxy bombing tactic whereby they would force people to drive bombs to army bases etc. So a masked man gets into the taxi, pulls and sawn off shotgun and tells him to drive off. Gunman was told to %^&* off. He point blank refused to drive anywhere despite the threat. Eventually the gunman gave up and got out again.
    Imagine what goes through your head as the gunman in that situation haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the horrific "human proxy bomb" tactic was used exclusively with members of the British security forces and persons the IRA regarded to be "collaborators" with the British state or its security forces. Even though the IRA's definition of a "collaborator" was fairly liberal (and included, for example, Patsy Gillespie, a cook for the British army in Derry who'd been warned to give up his job or risk reprisal, and James McAvoy, who was supposedly targeted because he served RUC officers whilst working at a service station in Newry), I suspect the former player/taxi-driver, rather than having luckily missed out on becoming the IRA's next "human proxy bomb", was the victim of an attempted hijacking or else the gunman just needed to get from A to B quickly.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    I'm sure that distinction was of great importance to him with a shotgun pointed at his face.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    wondering will Mickey Adams mention in his book about Brighton walking off the pitch in 2001 in Longford Rugby pitch at halftime?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

12. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I was at the game in 2001 against Brighton in the Rugby Grounds and it was the dirtiest game that I was ever at! Lookin forward to givin Adams stick about that game when he comes to Longford!
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    It was played in Flancare Park
    Old age is a curse Marty (further back in this very thread, albeit two years ago!)
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Old age is a curse Marty (further back in this very thread, albeit two years ago!)
    sorry you are dead right. I think the year before when we played them it was in the rugby ground as I remember being at it!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123