Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Epl 2015/2016

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    The thing that really gets me is that Varady was let go by Sheffield Wednesday :0 And Cantona as well...

I suppose Forest winning the league around 40 years ago is the nearest similar achievement. They had possibly been only promoted the season before (can't quite remember) and then went on to win the European Cup. I wonder how many people are now putting a bet on Leicester to do that - doubt if you'll get odds of 5000-1 though.

Is it a blip or will normal service of dominance by the big boys resume next season? Probably but for the moment it's great even if the hype is starting to grate just a bit.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Clough was already a proven winner before Forest though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I agree with Jamie Carragher that as great as the Forest achievements were, those kind of stories weren't quite as rare back then. Derby won a league shortly after being promoted, so did Leeds I think. The English Champions were always going to be one of the favourites for the European Cup too, even if Forest wouldn't have been completely fancied to do what they did in the competition. Leicester didn't double the British record transfer fee in pursuit of glory either, as Forest did with Trevor Francis in their first European Cup winning season. To be fair, they had already achieved domestic success at that stage.

I think Leicester is a more extreme case of the impossible being achieved, I think everybody thought the days of a team with their resources achieving success from nowhere was impossible in the current climate, without a huge injection of cash.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I agree with Jamie Carragher that as great as the Forest achievements were, those kind of stories weren't quite as rare back then. Derby won a league shortly after being promoted, so did Leeds I think. The English Champions were always going to be one of the favourites for the European Cup too, even if Forest wouldn't have been completely fancied to do what they did in the competition. Leicester didn't double the British record transfer fee in pursuit of glory either, as Forest did with Trevor Francis in their first European Cup winning season. To be fair, they had already achieved domestic success at that stage.

I think Leicester is a more extreme case of the impossible being achieved, I think everybody thought the days of a team with their resources achieving success from nowhere was impossible in the current climate, without a huge injection of cash.
    Yes, money didn't count as much in those days. I even think that Manchester United spent a season in Division One around then: unthinkable now of course. Without taking away from the Leicester "miracle", they arrived just as Chelsea collapsed, Man U were a shadow of themselves, Liverpool continued their Jekyll and Hyde performances and Arsenal - well they've been doing what they've done over the past 10 seasons. That said, they still had to finish ahead of ALL of the rest of the clubs with greater resources, including Spurs.

They will now be used as a stick to beat every manager of mid-sized clubs for the next 10 years just as Greece and Denmark were used as examples of what Ireland could do.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    But Ireland could have won Euro92 and Ireland should have done better in 2002.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Clough was already a proven winner before Forest though?
    He had previous yes, with Derby.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Yes, money didn't count as much in those days. I even think that Manchester United spent a season in Division One around then: unthinkable now of course. Without taking away from the Leicester "miracle", they arrived just as Chelsea collapsed, Man U were a shadow of themselves, Liverpool continued their Jekyll and Hyde performances and Arsenal - well they've been doing what they've done over the past 10 seasons. That said, they still had to finish ahead of ALL of the rest of the clubs with greater resources, including Spurs.

They will now be used as a stick to beat every manager of mid-sized clubs for the next 10 years just as Greece and Denmark were used as examples of what Ireland could do.
    I think there is a lot in what you say, definitely, money has always counted, the clubs Leicester have edged are powerful global networks in terms of player recruitment and income streams, as vast as Revie's Leeds were in comparison to Cloughs Derby, it wouldn't compare to the Man City & Co / Leicester resource divide. Its the corner shop somehow outmaneuvering the multinational chain, aspect which gives this its real beauty.

Agree also, there was an opportunity to do this, but they did it, none of the more talented squads stepped up. They were several who could have but were again also rans, and if you see two key interviews with Raneiri, the first about two weeks ago where he for the first time speaks about the possibility of winning it, he said something to the effect of 'we must do it now, this season, it wont happen next year'. And yesterday he cautions that it may be another generation before the big clubs resources can be bested again. A lot of factors have to line up for this opportunity to present, but even then someone has to avail of it.

And yeah, woe betide any manager with a thee year plan to stabilise & establish his newly promoted club at Prem level, that ship has sailed

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Lose home and away to the Faroes? I'm sure we'll never have a manager that bad, even Stan wasn't that incompetent.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Just before Blackburn embarked on their title winning season they were gazumped by Man U on the signing of Roy Keane.
    Probably a rare example of gazumping where the original offer was gazumped by a much lower offer.

That would have been some Blackburn team with Roy Keane on board.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Lose home and away to the Faroes? I'm sure we'll never have a manager that bad, even Stan wasn't that incompetent.
    That had nothing to do with Ranieri, Greece intl football had imploded utterly before he came on board, he was there for 4 games and Greece didn't improve afterwards.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    That's pure sophistry, certainly in the case of Denmark. Greece was simply bizarre, just as bizarre as Leicester, but Denmark certainly have been a useful yardstick for Ireland, and in many ways.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    So Newcastle and Norwich are relegated and the Sunderland fans will be treated to another season of being outclassed by most teams they play against and yet celebrate it as if they've won something. Yes, of course it's great for a club to be in the Premiership but that just appears to be the sole ambition of most clubs if they can't qualify for the Champions League. The Europa League doesn't seem to be on anyone's radar unless they get to the semi-finals. Forget about trying to win cups - mere survival is all that matters or getting from 14th to 12th.

Thank heavens for Leicester. Will they open the eyes of the also rans ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Could that have been any sweeter for Sunderland though? Big Sam is some man to be fair. Incredible really that a team that simply couldn't score goals knock six past Chelsea and Everton to secure safety with a game to spare. The dream of mid-table mediocrity is alive and well as long as they keep him. Considering his own history with Newcastle, and indeed Benitez, he must have laughed himself to sleep last night.

As for Rafa, he looked like he'd managed to get Newcastle scrapping pretty well, but that turnaround at the Stadium of Light on Saturday changed everything, and his own conservative ways came back to bite him on the arse when they really needed to beat Aston Villa. He started the league managing Real Madrid and ended it managing a Championship team. Where next?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quique Sanchez Flores leaving Watford. Martinez sacked by Everton. I heard some Sky commentator saying how "hugely successful" Everton had been under Moyes. 14th or 8th - does it make any difference really other than a few million in to the club's coffers? But for the "miracle" of Leicester, the aim for 75% of Premiership teams seems to be a 10 ten finish and that is mission accomplished. I am beginning to think it might be more fun in the Championship where the aim at the start of the season for every team is to finish in the top 6 but ambitions of course change as the season progresses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quique Sanchez Flores leaving Watford. Martinez sacked by Everton. I heard some Sky commentator saying how "hugely successful" Everton had been under Moyes. 14th or 8th - does it make any difference really other than a few million in to the club's coffers? But for the "miracle" of Leicester, the aim for 75% of Premiership teams seems to be a 10 ten finish and that is mission accomplished. I am beginning to think it might be more fun in the Championship where the aim at the start of the season for every team is to finish in the top 6 but ambitions of course change as the season progresses.
    There was an article in WSC about this very subject a few years back. And it was written by a Sheffield Wednesday supporter. Interesting...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    There was an article in WSC about this very subject a few years back. And it was written by a Sheffield Wednesday supporter. Interesting...
    For fear of going OT and getting banned like Crosby, how are Shels getting on? I was a regular LoI supporter (Rovers) for many years but now am only an occasional visitor to Tallaght. I used to make the journey across the City to Tolka to see games against Shels and I always thought they were the best supported of the Dublin teams after Rovers. I always had a soft spot for them as they had a rake of ex-Rovers players as managers for a while. What are the crowds like ? Bigger than Bohs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Don't worry Bonnie, I got this...they're getting on terribly OF. Their crowds have shrunk to the low hundreds (the hardcore).

Even so, they were almost always the most poorly supported Dublin team in the league, except when they were attracting a large quantity of bandwagoners in their glory years - and even then there was a big variance in their crowd size from game to game. The young fans from the 00's have mostly dropped off, the oul lads from their other successes in the past have possibly dropped away. There is a lot of in-fighting in the club and between the club and the fans over the future of the club. I truly believe a lot of delusion still attaches itself to the club and its standing in the domestic game today. They were offered and have rejected the opportunity to share a revitalized Dalymount Park with Bohs. It is a very questionable stance for them to take on the matter but they believe they can survive on their own.

Bohs, despite having had a very demoralizing (and deservedly so) spell over the last number of seasons still sees average crowds in the 1400-1600 range over that time. If we were to be relegated I would expect to see that drop to about 1000 or so, possibly 800 or 900.

Good luck to Shels.
    Last edited by SkStu; 14/05/2016 at 3:59 AM.

21. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Shels' issue with the Dalymount offer was that they get nothing for relinquishing Tolka so moving to Dalymount would just accelerate their demise. You can see their point - they're sitting on prime real estate in Drumcondra, even if they lost control of the lease already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Shels' issue with the Dalymount offer was that they get nothing for relinquishing Tolka so moving to Dalymount would just accelerate their demise. You can see their point - they're sitting on prime real estate in Drumcondra, even if they lost control of the lease already.
    I'm just glad that was all you tried to pick me up on.

No, to be honest I can't see their point. Their demise is inevitable if they stay in Tolka - at some stage. At the whim of a third party. At best they'd roam for a few years and lose any identity they had before going under completely. At least by moving to Dalymount they can rebuild their brand in a custom wing of a brand new stadium within touching distance of their current ground and fan base. They can work on paying and writing down some debts and they'd be in far better control of their own destiny. Stadium shares between city rivals is fairly common across the world and not something to be fearful of.

As for compensation. They're not the primary leaseholder if I recall correctly. They're letting it from the leaseholder developer. Wouldn't it be like someone who is subletting an apartment trying to be compensated for persuading their landlord to sell the main lease off even though they know they have a nicer apartment at better and more secure terms...sure, you might expect some nominal amount but come on...it's a cash grab.

24. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I thought it was a welcome gesture from Swansea to rest their 4 Euro Finals bound players for the last 2 epl games, after a hard fought 2nd half to their season.
    Iceman Gylfi Sigursson swept their player of the year awards (getting one more than Richie Keogh).
    Supporters' Player of the Year – Players' Player of the Year and Away Player of the Year.

Despite resting their best players, Swansea firmly pooped upon West Ham's CL hopes. I was reminded of Wolves (with McCarthy) getting fined for fielding a weakened team v Man U at Old Trafford. Would they have been fined had they won the game?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast