Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Radio Coverage

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Radio Coverage

What teams in our league get full live weekly radio coverage of their fixtures in this country?

I know Derry City seem to have full coverage of their home games at least by Drive 105 or BBC Radio Foyle.

Cork City have a fan run Rebel Radio that does a reasonable job on limited resources mostly on home games where possible. They also have Local sponsorship from local radios 96FM & Red FM but not weekly live coverage of their games.

Sometimes local stations might do a special game, such as an important league or cup fixture which is usually a one off, maybe its a contractional thing with the FAI or something!

Any fans around the country know what the situatiuon is with other teams and stations such as, Galway Bay FM, Ocean fm Sligo, WLR FM Waterford etc.

I suppose Dublin Clubs have a greater choice or options!

Maybe we could create a list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Pats used to have a show every Monday for an hour on West Dublin Access Radio but I think the station is closed down now so the lads do a podcast instead. It's the same guys that do the commentary for our games
    http://allsaintsshowpodcasts.podbean.com/

98fm have a sports show on Sunday mornings I think it is and they cover the Dublin clubs the odd time.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Harps receive a decent bit of coverage on local station Highland Radio, and a small bit of coverage on Ocean FM South Donegal/Sligo station.

They'll never really cover games live, only updates, but have done live coverage in the past. It's much more of a GAA station.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Ocean usually broadcast the away games but then again I think they might have only had updates from Bray last weekend. Home games depends on how we're going really. They aren't broadcasting them at the moment!

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Limerick get a decent amount of coverage from 95FM, but I don't think they cover every home game. The quality of the broadcasts tend to be very variable. I remember one game last season where the web stream had music playing over the commentary.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Shannonside did live commentary for our first few games but as local interest drops so does their coverage, a weekly interview with cousins before and after games though so they aren't the worse to be fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Have you guys not heard of the infamous DundalkFM, with their soft tones and impartial commentary?

They do live commentary and 'light entertainment' for every Dundalk FC home game and some away matches, they will be in Drogheda tomorrow night.

Standards have somewhat slipped of late as the main man John Murphy has sadly been off air ill, hopefully he will be back in the hot seat tomorrow. I'll have Setanta Sports on the TV but Dundalk Fm live from the Radio!

Unfortunately I can't make the short trip, but this will more than make up for it.
    Last edited by oriel; 02/07/2015 at 1:42 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Have you guys not heard of the infamous DundalkFM, with their soft tones and impartial commentary?

They do live commentary and 'light entertainment' for every Dundalk FC home game and some away matches, they will be in Drogheda tomorrow night.

Standards have somewhat slipped of late as the main man John Murphy has sadly been off air ill, hopefully he will be back in the hot seat tomorrow. I'll have Setanta Sports on the TV but Dundalk Fm live from the Radio!

Unfortunately I can't make the short trip, but this will more than make up for it.
    So, really most clubs get radio coverage when they are doing well? It seems that Derry and maybe Dundalk at the moment have weekly radio coverage and a few clubs like Cork and some of the Dublin clubs have coverage mainly through a supporters based set up and that is usually home games in the main.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Paul Collins on the Today FM sports desk is a big GAA fan. On the 8.05 am sports headline the morning after the LoI teams were playing in Europe, we heard about some GAA player who had got a wart on his backside, who was playing at Wimbledon and where the local horse-racing meeting was on. Not a word of the results. He may have mentioned them in the 8.35 bulletin which is longer but I thought it was a disgrace that there couldn't have been the briefest "There was a win for UCD while etc...."
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Paul Collins on the Today FM sports desk is a big GAA fan. On the 8.05 am sports headline the morning after the LoI teams were playing in Europe, we heard about some GAA player who had got a wart on his backside, who was playing at Wimbledon and where the local horse-racing meeting was on. Not a word of the results. He may have mentioned them in the 8.35 bulletin which is longer but I thought it was a disgrace that there couldn't have been the briefest "There was a win for UCD while etc...."
    Mentioned Drogs v Dundalk game though in the headlines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    when they are doing well? It seems that......maybe Dundalk at the moment have weekly radio coverage
    The lads at DundalkFM are at their best when Dundalk are not doing well! I'm not saying that they want to see Dundalk play badly now, they are just at their caustic best when the game isnt going well for us. They were covering games when we were in the 1st Division too so not a very recent addition to Dundalk FC radio coverage. LMFM are more inclined to jump on the success bandwagon which is kind of strange really as they have live coverage of Louth games. "Starting with GAA Division 5B junior St Mochtas ladies blah blah" then after 20 minutes of anything else it would be "In soccer Dundalk FC have been drawn with Manchester United and Real Madrid in the group stages of the champions league...next update a profile on Division 2B Hurling semi-final, this is Colm Corrigan signing off".

12. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    That's a fecking disgrace Nesta. He can't just go signing off when we want to hear about the Division 2B Hurling semi-final.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

14. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    To be fair to Collins, and I rarely listen to Today FM, the 8.35 slot is the "main" sports news. The 8.05 slot is a few brief headlines.

Newstalk's morning sports slots are a lot better if you can just manage to tune in bang on time and avoid the awful Yates/Donoghue combination.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    That's a fecking disgrace Nesta. He can't just go signing off when we want to hear about the Division 2B Hurling semi-final.
    Well he needs a huge cliffhanger to make sure people tune in to the next bulletin! I'm not joking though - if tiddlywinks was a GAA sport followed by 2 people he would have it a higher billing than than a Champions League final between Dundalk and Barcelona!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    WLR in Waterford don't do live games anymore but can't blame them as the interest isn't there and they can be expensive to do apparently. They used broadcast a good amount of away games a few years back. They have a reporter giving updates on home games and some away games. Opentempo FM broadcast most away games on an internet stream but aren't allowed to do home games.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    Opentempo FM broadcast most away games on an internet stream but aren't allowed to do home games.
    Dead right too!

Can't have some unapproved randomers promoting the club

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Well he needs a huge cliffhanger to make sure people tune in to the next bulletin! I'm not joking though - if tiddlywinks was a GAA sport followed by 2 people he would have it a higher billing than than a Champions League final between Dundalk and Barcelona!!
    Agreed LMFM is ridiculously lopsided towards GAA.
    Brendan Cummins the sports editor is a Leinster/Central Council rep for Meath GAA and their former PRO.
    They actually give better coverage to local soccer than LOI teams

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    If I remember right many of the applicants for local radio licences had the GAA involved when local radio was first regulated. The IFA (farmers) and Comhaltas also had reps on many groups bidding. Not sure if those running soccer took any interest at the time, so level of coverage may be influenced by this fact.
    In Galway the coverage of soccer on radio and other local media is good and fair I think, but rugby has really taken a big slice of it in recent years.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Dead right too!

Can't have some unapproved randomers promoting the club
    There's some awful weird policies in Ireland. Some never do home games, others only do home games.