Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Do you agree with extending civil marriage to Same Sex couples?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 88.57%
  • No

4 11.43%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Marriage Equality Referendum - how will you vote?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Proper results starting to flood in now. Is looking like low 60's Yes. Turnout is the same. Think only Roscommon/South Leitrim on course to reject.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Good ol' Longford was 50.41% in favor of no..

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Roscommon/South Leitrim is the only place to vote majority No. Longford/Westmeath was 53% Yes.

Edit: Oh wait, you mean, like, the actual County of Longford? Doesn't really matter does it?
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 23/05/2015 at 5:01 PM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    To think homosexuality was only decriminalised in Ireland in 1993... This is a great result for equality, rights for all and all things good in the world. A proud and historical day for Ireland; moving forward and into the future. I'm absolutely delighted. What a massive moment for inspiring people like David Norris who have spent their entire lives putting up with crap fighting for equal recognition simply so they could just ****ing be themselves and live just like any other decent citizen. Massive respect. Nice to see Donegal North-East deliver a majority 'yes' vote too. Well done, everyone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Roscommon/South Leitrim is the only place to vote majority No. Longford/Westmeath was 53% Yes.

Edit: Oh wait, you mean, like, the actual County of Longford? Doesn't really matter does it?
    Yeah, Longford itself, and it does, I'm from there, (voted in Limerick) so slightly ashamed of that little stat..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    See Carlow/Kilkenny voted in a FFer. One step forward two steps back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    You can come here to get married if you need to Ben. It's a cottage industry in Massachusetts.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Cottaging industry.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Great to see the Westboro Baptist Church are happy with the result!

http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...t--lylNHG3ycbW

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Disappointing that not even the collective weight of the Termonbarry Alberts and Termonbarry Alberts Supporters Club was enough to prevent Roscommon voting no.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Once again:

what are the factual points the No side have?
    http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=if04g01

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/he...ndum-1.2100166

And many more.....

p.s. I voted yes.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    That's been completely discredited AFAIK.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I didn't read them so I don't know
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Once again:

What is the middle ground you wish people would seek?

What are the downsides of a yes vote?
    Issues over knock on effects in legislation, what is coming donw the line.
    That is an open question to all - a manner of compromise where all sides are respected and there is a decent debate.
    Downsides of a Yes vote are the further division in the nation and continued path down towards an ignorance of debate and development.

And simply opening a door to allow idiots (of all sides) rant.

Best of all, allowing politicians bullsh!t and getting lauded for it:

Gilmore - Ireland now needs to be a world leader. Yes, hmm, Dublin's way or Moscow's way. Dublin's way or Riyadh's way. Indeed, me orse. Until the next trade deal gets scuttled.
    Leo the lizard - For the first time I feel equal. Hmm, so you are finally over the silver spoon, finally a normal person who has not disgraced the nation time and again and an embarassament who pursues the top job more than doing your own.

It is brilliant that all are allowed to marry. It is brilliant that a minority who felt discarded now feel equal. Nobody should feel rejected or outside society, yet we go further down a path of intolerance and get congratulated by the FG/Lab regime, their puppeteer (DOB et al) and let attention seeking failed election candidates make hay.

However, I'm hoping the hypocritical liar Frances Fitzgerald does what she promised and gets everything changed by August as I'd like to be the witness at a marriage than a civil partnership! Nothing against civil partnership, but it'd be nice to be part of history. Home to witness!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Mr. A, lots of legal heads were divided and as always with manmade (let's not blame the ladies on this one) laws will be dominoed. However it'll be just more fun and games down the line. :-)

Main thing is that we can get onto what's important - the Championship, when will Roddy blow up and what will Rovers fans say when Dundalk qualify for the UCL group stages!!!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Issues over knock on effects in legislation, what is coming donw the line.
    Such as what? I mean, specifically, where do valid concerns over knock-on effects lie? On adoption, the adoption authority were (I thought) crystal clear.
    On surrogacy, I don't see any knock-on effect other than any legislation will have to legislate without distinction regarding same or opposite sex couples. I don't believe that arguing for a distinction is a valid argument.

What else is there?

What is the middle ground you wish people would seek?
    That is an open question to all - a manner of compromise where all sides are respected and there is a decent debate.
    Amending the constitution isn't something you can compromise on, is it? It either happens or it doesn't.

What are the downsides of a yes vote?
    Downsides of a Yes vote are the further division in the nation and continued path down towards an ignorance of debate and development.
    Further division in the nation? Seriously? A vote for equality is further division of the nation? That is ridiculous. "Further down a path of intolerance" - what are you talking about?

If you want to look at ignorance of debate, perhaps you might consider why the adoption authority and the referendum comission took the unusual step of making statements on the impact of the referendum on adoption and surrogacy - because they felt the need to clarify in the face of shameless lies from the No side. There's your ignorance in debate - happily, the electorate aren't as thick as they'd banked on.
    Last edited by osarusan; 26/05/2015 at 7:44 PM.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Such as what? I mean, specifically, where do valid concerns over knock-on effects lie? On adoption, the adoption authority were (I thought) crystal clear.
    On surrogacy, I don't see any knock-on effect other than any legislation will have to legislate without distinction regarding same or opposite sex couples. I don't believe that arguing for a distinction is a valid argument.

What else is there?

Amending the constitution isn't something you can compromise on, is it? It either happens or it doesn't.

Further division in the nation? Seriously? A vote for equality is further division of the nation? That is ridiculous. "Further down a path of intolerance" - what are you talking about?

If you want to look at ignorance of debate, perhaps you might consider why the adoption authority and the referendum comission took the unusual step of making statements on the impact of the referendum on adoption and surrogacy - because they felt the need to clarify in the face of shameless lies from the No side. There's your ignorance in debate - happily, the electorate aren't as thick as they'd banked on.
    On knock on effects - regardless of what is produced you will reject them as anything else that has been presented.

One "legit" objection was the article to be changed, calling the bluff on the doubters by moving it from 41 to 40, would that count as compromise? In the correct term yes, it also would have shown up those who solely objected to this one point. The result would be the same (in law) but not affecting "family", which was the burning issue.

Yes, further division. While I accept for you it looks different, I can only speak for watching from distance. Although there are commentators (not the rather extreme ones) in Ireland who also would seem to see issues of this nature.

There was no debate, at least in a proper form. There were those whose beliefs led them to speak against it, over 1/3 of the country, and those who didn't care, those whose beliefs spoke for it, and bandwaggoners who will follow the trend - barstoolers if we will. One thing that was avoided by government and Yes speakers and that I'm still confused with, was teh normal process of government followed with this referendum? I mean by white papers etc? I figured that this was just a joke by some comedians (Callan I think).

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I think this quote nicely addresses the No side's claims of intimidation and bullying:

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Last edited by osarusan; 27/05/2015 at 10:46 AM.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I think this quote nicely addresses the No side's claims of intimidation and bullying:

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    You are entitled to your opinion and POV of the situation, many share it, many don't. And bullying is in many forms and sadly this time out showed how the bread and games agenda of the FG/Lab regime has everyone in it's grasp. Dublin's way or Fallujas way. Gotta love our great and good.

And we have our new issue - FIFA! Praise be the meeja!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast