Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Weekend 24/25 April games LIVE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Shields is possibly the best player in the League of Ireland.
    Go lie down for a few minutes. Shields had a solid game for Dundalk but don't go mad.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    Go lie down for a few minutes. Shields had a solid game for Dundalk but don't go mad.
    Have to agree here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Aside from the progress of individual players, what struck me as the outstanding aspect about Dundalk's performance was their general confidence and positivity, permeating throughout every aspect of the team and their game. Cork were met by a team who just knew they were better in every department and knew they could win. None of this 'it's a difficult game, against a very good team, on their home patch, with great home support'. The attitude from the very beginning was - 'we are going to win this game'.
    I'm loving the attitude, SK and the players are seething over 4 points dropped rather than talking up a potential tally of 29 from 34 from the first round of games (not taking Bray for granted as 3 points mind). Dare I say it but it is a bit Roy Keane in outlook without the overt agression and chip on the shoulder. A lot has been learned over the last couple of seasons and it is really pleasing to see continued progression with an already accomplished bunch of players. I think the loss at home to Hadjuk was pivotal last season where getting through the round was lost due to an inferiority complex, sensible confidence has grown since. Its possible complacency crept in for the Limerick game and that caused an upping of standards again which was the platform for the Cork performance and probably against Rovers first half anyway.
    The way Cork and Shams are hedging their bets on keeping it tight against closest rivals and cutting lose at home or against lower teams shows an inadvertant fear. Whereas this Dundalk side seem fearless and want to win every game.

On Sheilds, EP cant agree that he is the best player in the league but he is probably the best at what he does and in the midfield role he plays for Dundalk. He is definitely the most improved player. 3 years ago who would ever have seen him start over Stephen O'Donnell?
    Last edited by Nesta99; 27/04/2015 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typos

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I think back to 2013 when Dundalk were chasing Pats for the title. We went to Inchicore towards the end of the season, and they destroyed us. We didn't play all that badly but they were at a different level. They had the guile, composure, and belief we lacked.

It's how a side responds to those moments that define it. Dundalk got better, a lot better.

I see Cork at a similar point in their development. There is too much good stuff going on at Turners Cross for their development to stall now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    The interesting thing about Chris Shields is to compare where he was in 2012 and even early in 2013 when SK joined to now. He was captain of that dreadful 2012 Dundalk side that effectively finished bottom and should have been relegated. He played central MF in a standard 4 across the park, he was awful, getting booked, late tackles, poor passing, wound up too much, bombing too forward and too often, just had a terrible season.

SK arrived and we were all surprised to hear he was kept on, only him Mountney and Cherrie were retained. Then SK said he saw him as a defender mainly, and was used for cover, played a few at left back start of 2013, did ok, then dropped, then came into central defence to cover Rossiter, and was taken off at HT. Another spell on the bench, then SK changed his formation and created a new role with a place up for grabs for a player to sit infront of the back 4, not to go forward too much, to win the ball, give it immediately, also to pass it out to the wings, and to have 2 more in the middle, with 2 out wide. He started that around middle of 2013 and hasnt looked back since.

I wouldnt say he's the best in the LOI (or at Dlk) but I cant think of any other LOI player that has shown such incredible improvement over the past 2 years than him, or a better player doing his role in the league. What he does allows Towell and Finn/O'Donnell to move freely, and both wingers Horgan and Meenan know they will get the ball regularly. His performance last Friday night was almost faultless, and this was after losing posession after 2 minutes also, which led to a Cork attack.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I can remember Shields and Massey playing for Bray Wanderers sides that we used to hammer at the Carlisle Grounds/Terryland Park. It's mad how far they've come. To be fair, Kenny has a good track record for man-management and improving "lost causes". If you told me either of those would be stalwarts in league winning sides back then, I would've assumed First Division. Regression in standard in the league has helped a bit obviously.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Shields, Massey and Gartland are all players most people wouldn't have seen ever getting within a whiff of a title. Goes to show that with a bit of guidance players can show talent they didn't before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    In fairness to Massey he has always been a very capable full back with a good left foot they are few and far between in this league.
    The other two agreed you would not have thought they would have been in a top side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I don't get the love for Massey. Hes got a good free kick but none of the rest of his game stands out. I actually don't think the Dundalk defence is all that is cracked up to be. They were poor against Rovers and there were hints of that again against us, we just weren't good enough to take advantage. That and Shields lives up to his name and saves them from having to do too much actual work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I That and Shields lives up to his name and saves them from having to do too much actual work.
    The team = the sum of its parts.

The centre defensive pair have been a little ropey of recent but they were solid again on Friday bar a couple of lapses which could have been punished. Id expect them to be more assured with a bit of work in training to get back to form.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch Potato View Post
    In fairness to Massey he has always been a very capable full back with a good left foot they are few and far between in this league.
    The other two agreed you would not have thought they would have been in a top side.
    I think if you asked Dane himself he'd probably admit defence was never an area of strength for him. Dundalk defend essentially by keeping the ball and attacking, and that suits a player like Massey who has loads of pace and is deadly going forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Good point on ball retention at the back, this was especially noticable last Friday when Boyle and Gartland had loads of space and they continue in their tactic of passing on the deck along the back, can be dangerous at times, but it generally draws in the opposition MF then gaps appear. When they see a gap, the central defenders switch the ball quickly to the two full backs who are at that stage in position to attack. So a lot is based on possesion and then attacking at speed.

Our defence is decent in the air, but also has a good bit of speed, well maybe Gartland not so much, but they work well as a unit. Definite improvement in the GK this year. However there are ares to improve, I think Boyle misjudged the ball for the Cork goal, he looked like he lost sight of the ball. He also let it bounce for Drenan's second goal the previous Friday in Tallaght.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Shields is possibly the best player in the League of Ireland.
    "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the band" | John Lennon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    [QUOTE=Olander;1816211]I can remember Shields and Massey playing for Bray Wanderers sides that we used to hammer at the Carlisle Grounds/Terryland Park.

You might remind me what hammerings you have dished out to Bray, esp with those 2 in the team.
    This weekend doesn't count!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fox View Post
    You might remind me what hammerings you have dished out to Bray, esp with those 2 in the team.
    This weekend doesn't count!!!!!
    Type Galway United Bray Wanderers in youtube.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    To be fair, you can't blame anybody for being sceptical about the idea of Galway hammering teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    A DVD production is it? I'll expect to see nothing less than numerous 10 nil victories for Galway then.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    A DVD production is it? I'll expect to see nothing less than numerous 10 nil victories for Galway then.
    A career in comedy awaits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts

This what you're looking for?

https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    This what you're looking for?

https://www.youtube.com/user/VinnyGU...rch?query=bray

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast