Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LOI fixtures 27th/28th March

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Dan Murray libero. I've seen everything now.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    So 5 games in for all clubs, how good or bad of a start do you think your club has had.

From a Dundalk POV 5 wins, 11 goals and none conceded is the perfect start. Though performances could be slicker we can only beat what's put out in front of us but we are getting better with each game. Would of expected Pats to put up a bigger performance and Sligo to a lesser extent.

Longford, Bohs and Drogs fan's must be delighted with their start
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Six defenders against Bray? What will he do against a decent team!
    Is Caulfield holding them back and stopping their development? Last year, Cork were tactically poor but I put that down to working with some limited players.

He has a really good squad this year. Does he know how to get the best from it?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Is Caulfield holding them back and stopping their development? Last year, Cork were tactically poor but I put that down to working with some limited players.

He has a really good squad this year. Does he know how to get the best from it?
    I think there's question marks there. We had more games in pre season than most and seemed to learn nothing. Now, whilst you can argue with results, overall performances and tactics have been poor. However, we have been creating lots and lots of chances, most falling to Karl Shepperd. He has had at least 15 chances that are in the "should have scored" category.
    Last edited by Pablo Escobar; 29/03/2015 at 11:31 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    .From what I've seen so far surprised at how ordinary Rovers were, Dundalk didnt look ad good to me as they did last year but are flying. Bray and Galway much the same level and Limerick behind them .
    Happy with Bohs displays particularly first half v Dundalk and Bray game.Good spirit against Rovers. Cant really judge until we play the teams of a simiar standard, which might just be everyone else in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    .From what I've seen so far surprised at how ordinary Rovers were, Dundalk didnt look ad good to me as they did last year but are flying. Bray and Galway much the same level and Limerick behind them .
    Happy with Bohs displays particularly first half v Dundalk and Bray game.Good spirit against Rovers. Cant really judge until we play the teams of a simiar standard, which might just be everyone else in the league.
    Bohs really impressed me. They were well coached, knew what they were good at, and tried to expose Dundalk where they have weaknesses. I was impressed with Long's tactical responses during the game, especially when going down to 10 men. If you compare them to Sligo, they are miles apart.

It was embarrassing to hear Heary speak during the live coverage on RTE. He didn't know that Dundalk's attacking threats came from clever movement from McMillan. Heary was talking about "midfield runners". You could almost hear the disgust in Kerr's voice when he commented on it.

Coaching is big part of what makes a team successful.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Delighted with our first 5 games. Never expected anything out of the first two (Dundalk and Rovers) but 7 points from our last 3 is great.

Rovers really impressed me when we played them. Some start from Dundalk though, 5 from 5 while keeping their net intact. Could end up been a case not who will challenge Dundalk for the title but who will actually score first against them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Don't think anyone can really judge until at least the first series of games are through. For Harps, we've played four games, three against three of the sides expected to be at the bottom of the league and one draw away against Shelbourne.

Happy that we haven't conceded yet, and happy we're sitting joint top of the table, but we were also in the same position last season.

The next four games will be a much better gauge of where we're at with UCD (A), Athlone (H), Wexford (A) and Shelbourne (H) to come. If we're still sitting in the top two after that, I'll be much more confident.

We definitely have the squad capable of mounting a crack at the title, but we really need to improve performances. We were awful against Cobh, but still ground out a result we may not have got in recent seasons. Time will tell where we're at.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    I'm massively impressed with Cabinteely so far, in that they havn't made a show of themselves and have even had great crowds. I doubt anyone expected them to get two wins, and a 3rd in the cup even, at this stage..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Delighted with our start after a few tough games. 3 away games in the first 4 with 2 of them being Shels and UCD, and to have 10 points is impressive. And its not just the wins that have impressed. Our overall play has been fantastic. From start to finish we pressed Shels and completely dominated the game.
    Long way to go yet but im quite confident.
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Here's a reason not to get carried away, we've started with the same run of results that we did in 2000/01!

Didn't see us coming away from UCD & Shels with 6 points though, very impressive - and late goals in both games as well.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    The league table has a sense of deja vu about it already, with Dundalk, ourselves and Rovers making up the top 3.

You'd expect Pat's to push up, the 2 early defeats were a bit of a setback but Limerick are a bogey side for them so that was an important win yesterday.

Longford and Derry might have surprised a few people with their starts. Some poor results for Sligo so far.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    You'd expect Pat's to push up, the 2 early defeats were a bit of a setback but Limerick are a bogey side for them so that was an important win yesterday.
    On one hand Pats didn't have to do an incredible amount to beat us but on the other hand I thought they looked completely harmless. Created very little over all when you consider what they were up against. They knocked the ball round well with very little penetration. We probably should have snatched a draw from the game if we had anything about us going forward. One of their goals was a very scrappy one in the box from a corner we failed to clear and the other was a straight forward kick out from the keeper and a flick on to Greene. If they continue in the same vein they won't be anywhere near challenging.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    On one hand Pats didn't have to do an incredible amount to beat us but on the other hand I thought they looked completely harmless. Created very little over all when you consider what they were up against. They knocked the ball round well with very little penetration. We probably should have snatched a draw from the game if we had anything about us going forward. One of their goals was a very scrappy one in the box from a corner we failed to clear and the other was a straight forward kick out from the keeper and a flick on to Greene. If they continue in the same vein they won't be anywhere near challenging.
    Could not agree more jof.Pats played some great football especially first half but are not clinical,you always felt they would give us a chance to level and lets face it at the moment we are muck [spirit or not].Pats wont win league and i would be far more in dread of a hiding from Dundalk if they are in the mood poor pitch or no poor pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    We've gone back to 2012 Pats, we'll pass the ball around the back loads but have nothing creative in the middle of midfield to get us going.

We won't get near winning the league this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    From the Bohs board...gave me a laugh anyway. 😄

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    We've gone back to 2012 Pats, we'll pass the ball around the back loads but have nothing creative in the middle of midfield to get us going.
    Forrester was excellent in the first half and Pats should have been a couple of goals clear. Creating chances wasn't the problem.

Poor in the second half but never really troubled from Limericks open play. They pressed with the win behind their backs and Pats looked a bit ragged in midfield then. Pats will definitely have to improve if they want to win anything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    The Warriors idea is an interesting one but this is executed fairly poorly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    The dreaded line is uttered:
    "It won't be easy but a win against Bray could kick start our season".

25. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast