Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Cup

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Edit: by the way this looks interesting, not sure how factual it is.but Spain not to be seeded top, and England as always, but if that is the seeding, teams in pots 3 and 4 have little or no chance of progressing
    http://www.footballseeding.com/inter...orld-cup-2018/
    It's factual, Spain are certified pot 2. Survival in pots 3 and 4 at the WC finals looks perilous indeed.
    Iceland would have safely made pot 2 had their FA not sent the 2nd and 3rd string teams to various corners of the globe to play a series of friendlies.
    Now they would need 3 out of Italy/Switz/Denmark/Croatia to be eliminated in the play offs, in order to be in pot 2,
    That assumes Peru secure their pot 2 position by beating NZ .

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Just going over where things stand, and I find Group D in CAF fascinating. Senegal lead the group on 8 points, ahead of Burkino Faso and Cape Verde on 6, and South Africa on 4. But because the first Senegal/South Africa game was scratched off, they play each other twice in four days in Novemver, where if South Africa win both they top the group. Senegal might only need a point from the two games to top the group, depending on GD. So Burkina Faso/Cape Verde need to win their game against the other by as many goals as possible, and hope that South Africa win one of the other games by as wide a margin as possible, but then draws the other.

Morocco and Cote d'Ivoire are basically playing off for qualification in Group C as well.

Peru/New Zealand and Honduras/Australia in the play-offs Wasn't a big fan of Honduras' display in the last World Cup so would hope the Aussies can up their game there. New Zealand are 122nd in the world, but I imagine they are probably a good bit better than that placing. Good enough to give Peru a game?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Would love to see Honduras turn over the Aussies.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

4. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    The final play-offs start tonight so.

Croatia are 3-1 up on Greece coming up to half-time; hard to see Greece coming back from that.

The North are 0-0 against Switzerland in what is presumably a riveting game between two technically excellent sides.

Sweden v Italy is tomorrow, as is Honduras v Australia and (on into Saturday morning) New Zealand v Peru.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Peru are playing without Paolo Guerrero who was drug suspended for "chewing cocoa leaves to combat altitude sickness" according to himself. It's interesting, Peru and New Zealand have not met in any sport since the 1908 Olympic Games in London, where they battled in a round robin of Jeu De Paume, kind of a precursor to modern day Tennis played with bare hands. Peru lost, 716 to 400.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The final play-offs start tonight so.

Croatia are 3-1 up on Greece coming up to half-time; hard to see Greece coming back from that.

The North are 0-0 against Switzerland in what is presumably a riveting game between two technically excellent sides.

Sweden v Italy is tomorrow, as is Honduras v Australia and (on into Saturday morning) New Zealand v Peru.
    Apparently the Swiss are all over the IFA team. the Swiss should also be down to 10 men according to SS.
    Just tuned into the second half now.

Greece are a shambles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    IFA team are getting ridden solid by this ref

EDIT: Swiss score a pen. Never a penalty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    the Swiss should also be down to 10 men according to SS.
    The SS shot one of the Swiss? Can you elaborate? WTF is going on there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Sky Sports

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    All over in the second city. IFA Rep team 1-0 Svizzzrrraweizerlanden

Brutal match. No danger of themmuns being in Russia.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Too defensive from NI.

Never a penalty though, and Swiss didn't look like scoring apart from that.
    Last edited by osarusan; 09/11/2017 at 9:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I think it's a penalty. The NI defence could see the ball would be taken on a volley, it reached the Swiss player from a lobbed cross - ie there is time to react. And there is a deliberate raising of the arms as the ball is struck - he twists his body and uses his arms/ hands to stop the movement of the ball. A braver player would have put his arms behind his back and taken the full force of the strike. It's not uncommon to see players do this in similar situations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    I think it's a penalty. The NI defence could see the ball would be taken on a volley, it reached the Swiss player from a lobbed cross - ie there is time to react. And there is a deliberate raising of the arms as the ball is struck - he twists his body and uses his arms/ hands to stop the movement of the ball. A braver player would have put his arms behind his back and taken the full force of the strike. It's not uncommon to see players do this in similar situations.
    I think you are very much alone on this one. not even remotely nearly a penalty. a ridiculous decision

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    There is a video from behind the play and it is clearly seen that the NI player (Corey Evans) raises his arms before the ball is struck. He is anticipating the volley and is using his arms to stop the movement of the ball. I think if it was a NI central defender in the same scenario, the body shape and arm positioning would be different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    There is a video from behind the play and it is clearly seen that the NI player (Corey Evans) raises his arms before the ball is struck. He is anticipating the volley and is using his arms to stop the movement of the ball. I think if it was a NI central defender in the same scenario, the body shape and arm positioning would be different.
    he didn't raise his arm, its in the natural position in relation to the ball. it looks to the world that it hits the shoulder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    You're giving Evans a lot of credit in terms of having intent on breaking the rules in what was a split-second of game time. The laws of the game are clear enough that referee's should take into account "unexpected ball" when it comes to determining whether an arm touching the ball is in an infringement or not, and there's no clear movement to stick his arm out that couldn't more easily be considered natural movement of his arm in such circumstances. I think it's not credible that Evans intended, beyond a shadow of a doubt, to block the ball illegally.

I'm not even sure an improved VAR system would have stopped it though, the ref seemed to have it in for the North.

Croatia heading to the finals it would seem. Their fourth was a real calamity for the Greek defence.

Senegal will be all but qualified with a draw against SA tonight, barring some unlikely final day results. First leg of Honduras/Aussies at 2200, New Zealand/Peru at 0315.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    The ball is lobbed in, ie there is no pace to the ball, and the Swiss player has time to position himself to take it on the volley. There is nothing unexpected about it, Evans clearly anticipates the volley and actually jumps into the strike leading with his arm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Senegal book their place, beating South Africa 2-0 in the replayed fixture. The two play a dead rubber in Senegal in a few days. Senegal's first World Cup since reaching the last 8 in 2002. South Africa have proven to be quite mediocre post-hosting the tournament.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 10/11/2017 at 7:03 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    The Swiss penalty reminds me a bit of Andy Boyle's handball against Legia last year.

I think there's a different interpretation of what is handball amongst fans and officials - I think the actual rules are applied stricter than people realise. Look at referees warning players in the wall not to raise their arms or they can be done for handball - similar enough to this incident.

I can see the argument for a penalty, but I don't think it is one myself. But that's not what makes it a penalty or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Watched the second half of Honduras/Australia. Two poor sides struggling on a bad surface. Aussies marginally better. Would fancy them over 120 minutes.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast