Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 World Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Looks good to me! The Finnish appeals looked insincere too I think... they knew.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I dunno; I think they can be aggrieved.

The guidelines are clear that -

When a goalkeeper has gained control of the ball with his hands, it cannot be challenged by an opponent
    Though this refers to "hands", the same passage (slide 23 of the above link) says that -

The goalkeeper is considered to be in possession of the ball while the ball is [...] between his hand and any surface (e.g. the ground)
    The prescribed penalty is an indirect free kick.

The only question I think is whether the keeper let go of the ball after getting a hand on it at first. It seems unlikely, but you can't see for sure from the angle shown.

The red card looks clear cut too. Maybe the referee had a hunch the Finnish guy had a point though, and didn't want to hit them twice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Luxembourg lost 1-0 to Sweden last night.

Apart from having three players who were in the Dudelange team that lost to UCD - Turpel, da Mota and Malget, who was sent off late on - they also started Vincent Thill for his fifth cap. He's already scored one goal - becoming, scarily, the first player born in the 2000s to score an international goal.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I dunno; I think they can be aggrieved.

The guidelines are clear that -

Though this refers to "hands", the same passage (slide 23 of the above link) says that -

The prescribed penalty is an indirect free kick.

The only question I think is whether the keeper let go of the ball after getting a hand on it at first. It seems unlikely, but you can't see for sure from the angle shown.

The red card looks clear cut too. Maybe the referee had a hunch the Finnish guy had a point though, and didn't want to hit them twice.
    The goalscorer is ascribed to the header from nr 6, not the striker kicking it from under the "possession" of the goalie.
    The ref judged the ball was over the line before the goalie managed to be visibly in control of it, on the line.
    I had a good view of it and my first instinct was that the header went over the line but one of my mates was not convinced by anything, not by me, not by the ref who was distracted by dishing out the card, but waited in a vacuum until the scoreboard registered the score, then he smiled.

These Finns are undaunted though and have a penchant for technology.
    Some f'ecker managed to get this online which puts doubt on the validity,
    and put into context with this
    Last edited by geysir; 08/10/2016 at 2:18 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    A big win last night for the doughty Faroes away to Latvia

But what can you say about the Latvian defending for the 2nd goal? criminal just doesn't fully describe allowing the striker an acre of space, a deft strike all the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The goalscorer is ascribed to the header from nr 6, not the striker kicking it from under the "possession" of the goalie.
    Fair enough; rules out the foul so.

Really didn't look over the line though.

Is there a timeline for when goalline technology is being rolled out at non-finals events? Not a huge fan of technology being used at matches, but something that can give an instant beep in the ref's ear if it's a goal can't be too bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Doesn't the Aviva have hawkeye?
    Very definitely now the iceland fa won't be dishing out 100s of 1000s of Euros for a technology that might give the visiting team some justice, when called upon once in a blue moon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Not in Lansdowne so far as I can see

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Not in Lansdowne so far as I can see
    The Aviva is listed on the Fifa certified GLT list
    Maybe it's just in the testing phase.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Another issue is, if it has Hawkeye, can it be used in World Cup qualifiers?

Or is it a case that if it's to be used, it has to be available in all grounds? That'd slash the number of grounds available for qualifying matches then.

Wiki says it's about €500k to install; if it is in Lansdowne (even if it's just in testing), you'd have to figure that was a fair whack of cash for not a huge amount of payback surely?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think it's a prudent investment for the Aviva to have GLT installed. Afaia the GLT approved by FIFA is connected to a wristpiece on the ref and if the ref is in any doubt, he/she can look at the screen on the wristpiece for Hawkeye's take on the matter.
    Different from the all bells and whistles hawkeye entertainment that the spectators are treated to in Croke Pk.
    Afaia GLT can be used for any qualifier wherever it's installed, there is no prerequisite that it has to be installed for all qualifier venues.

Iceland play their next game away against Croatia in an empty stadium. This is the second game in a row that they play in an empty stadium, the first being in the Ukraine. This could be some type of qualifier record, as in which team played 2 away games in a sanctioned empty stadium in a qualifier campaign?
    Would it be a big issue if only the away fans could be allowed to attend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Netherlands v France is on ITV 4 tonight, could be good. France played some brilliant football the other night against Bulgaria.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Three substitutions in the first half-hour in Estonia v Greece. Possibly a record?

Subs for Greece on 7 and 18 - the latter had already scored - and for Estonia on the half-hour.

Meanwhile, Benteke has annoyingly broken one of the more humorous records there was in football - the fastest goal ever scored in the World Cup, previously held by Davide Gualtieri for San Marino against England. Benteke scored against Gibraltar in 8.1 seconds, two seconds quicker than Gualtieri had managed it.

Last edited by pineapple stu; 10/10/2016 at 9:05 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Strachan is under a lot pressure, his decisions lack sense, baffling tactics and his defense of both in the post match scrutiny goes beyond lunatic, maybe being unhinged and tetchy doesn't help his case either.

We'll see if he's hamsik by the close of game tonight.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Tartan at home but bright pink for scotland's away games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Poor Scotland, we have it so good by comparison really. I remember talking to some of their fans after both our Celtic Park & Lansdowne setbacks against them and they really were buzzing, on the crest of a wave. Even in our worst campaigns we're generally in with some sort of a chance of a playoff spot at least to keep the interest levels alive. I can only remember the campaign under Staunton really where we were fairly well goosed with a few games to go. Even then we were only short a small bit of luck in that double header in Slovakia/Czech Rep to keep our hopes vaguely alive. I suppose they have their two 'cup finals' against England to look forward to but difficult to see the mounting much of a challenge for second place now.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Strachan is atrocious, probably has given another car crash post match conference.

Excellent goalkeeping from Harte kept England alive against the mighty Slovenia or was it Slovakia?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    There was a good line from the ITV commentator after Mak scored the Slovak's 2nd,
    "MaK twists the knife".

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Trouble in Romania for their game v Poland
    Thugs scrapped it out in the stands, riot police restored some order, flares being fired across no man's land.
    Both fans were involved but the Romanian thugs seemed to be well organised and had planned a confrontation.

Lewandowski got hit by some missile, looked sore but you'd have to grudgingly admit it was a damn good shot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...pGFXKTqU#t=130

Sanctions aplenty on the horizon for Romania but Poland should also be facing charges for their fans' behaviour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    This should maybe be moved to the "Other Countries" forum?

Anyways, the US in trouble after two games in the Hex - a 4-0 away defeat to Costa Rica last night leaves them bottom of the group with no points.

They can stew on that for the next four months; next up is Honduras at home and then Panama away; Mexico drew 0-0 in Panama last night, so that's not an easy game at all.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast