Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Best LOI goals you've seen in person

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts

Best LOI goals you've seen in person

Inspired by the JJ thread, i thought it would be good to get one of these threads going. Its been a while since we had one on here... I'll go first.

1. Paul Byrne v Bray (in Bray) - from the half way line. No cameras there (and only a few brave souls) but easily the greatest goal I've seen.
    2. Glen Crowe v Pats (Dalymount) - thunderbolt half volley from 30+ yards.
    3. Paul Byrne v Galway (Dalymount) - free kick, we were 1-0 down, comes on as a sub on his first game back, marches up to take the free and belts it around the wall. The moment is what stood out. The despair, the anticipation, the release.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Mark Salmon in Galway, pretty much identical to James Rodriguez's goal for Columbia at the world cup where he controlled it on chest and hit it on volley over the keeper, In fact, Salmon scored his just a few days before that goal at 2014 WC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Paddy McCourt on an absolute bog of a pitch beating about 9 Sligo Rovers players before scoring is probably mine, Gearóid Morrissey is the other one from a couple of years ago that sticks out as an away player….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Few from me

First one that sprang to mind was this strike from Ken Oman.

https://m.facebook.com/bfcdublin/vid...9835967545756/

Then that brought back a similar goal from Ryan McEvoy vs Monaghan. A bit out of nothing and McEvoy overall was a very limited player but he loves a pot shot this one just worked out

https://youtu.be/lYfxofRh9JQ?si=zxfkEhprSVCQWLC5

But if I'm taking everything into account it's easily Jason Byrne v Pats. Just excellent skill and control of a player who has done pretty much everything in this league

https://www.the42.ie/jason-byrne-chi...27098-Apr2014/

Funny enough the most recent goal had the least active links to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    1. Donal Murphy 2 v Cork Hibs circa 1974
    2. Gary Twigg v Bohs when he left Heary and Oman for ‘dead’ and buried it past Barry Murphy
    3. Best og was Barry Murphy circa 1984 when on the centre circle he controlled a opposition kick out and gracefully turned and lobbed Jody Byrne

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    1.Unsurprisingly, Colin Healy v Pats.
    2. John O' Flynn v Longford Town in 2003, corner of the penalty area and being shepherded towards the corner flag, he somehow conjured a chip out of nothing. I've searched fruitlessly for footage in case anyone is hoarding Eircom League Weekly tapes.
    3. Daryl Horgan v Drogheda gets the nod for now. There's plenty I've forgotten (including seemingly every opposition goal), the first two are clear for me but plenty of other contenders for the third spot.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    1. Chris Forrester 45 yard volley up in Drogheda in 2014.
    2. Chris Forrester scoop against rovers in the 5-1 win in 2012.
    3. Chris Forrester running from his own half to score in the 2021 cup final.

Those are the 3 that spring to mind. For someone that attends the vast majority of Pats matches home and away I annoyingly managed to miss both Keith Fahey in 2008 and Conan Byrne in 2017 scoring belters from the halfway line at Dalymount!

In terms of goals against Pats, Colin Healy overhead kick in 2014 and Dayle Rooney’s volley in inchicore last season were great goals that immediately jump out.

Seen as best own goal was mentioned above, head and shoulders the best (funniest is probably a better word) I’ve seen in person has to be Dudelange's goalkeeper scoring a header from the edge of his box last season
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    As above Forrester's scoop against Rovers in 2012 and Conan Byrne from the halfway line against Bohs in 2017 stand out. Honorable mentions to Greg Bolger's long distance lob against Derry in 2015 in Richmond and Mulraney's free kick vs Shels last year which was as expertly placed as you will see.

Three against us that stand out are Dayle Rooney's volley last year, Gary McCabe with a long range screamer for Rovers in September 2012 and I'm not sure of the players name (think it was Devaney) for Bohs in Dalymount in 2018 which was another unstoppable long range rocket.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    That Paul Byrne free also involved him slipping and landing on his arse IIRC.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Mandriou against Rovers and Fahey for Pat's against Bohs in 2008 are mine. Paul Byrne was before my time as a fan but his son Kurtis scored some crackers for us too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Donal Broughan free from inside the centre circle that went top corner and was intended. Flores volley in more modern times, the 982 pass Gannon goal v St Pats. All great goals but the most beautiful ones are Tom McNulty x 2 to win 2 leagues, O'Donnell v Cork on another last day decider and Benson v BATE Borisov - special mention to his thunderbolt volley on the run in Warsaw and McEleney's cheeky one v Vitesse.