184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I personally like option 1.
    That got my vote too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    All 3 are very nice. That said I'm pretty sure options 2 and 3 run foul of the rules regarding kits and option 1 could be problematic when facing Sligo and Pats if needed. Maybe option 1 as away and option 2 as third?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    All 3 are very nice. That said I'm pretty sure options 2 and 3 run foul of the rules regarding kits and option 1 could be problematic when facing Sligo and Pats if needed. Maybe option 1 as away and option 2 as third?
    They'd certainly run foul of the rules for any proper survey, given the requested response options to each are 'Love' 'Haha' and Shock !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    https://youtu.be/yKLT79ZwZ60

Not LOI marketing as such. But good to see Sonas using the sponsorship of Bray in their ad.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Cabinteely giving free season tickets to players and coaches

https://twitter.com/Cabinteely_FC/st...08981678612481

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post

Gotta hand it to Cabo. Their PR and social media presence is second to none!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post

A smart way for an inner-city club with no tradition of support to get a few more people through the gate and to start to build a fanbase.

I doubt it'll lose them much on ticket sales, it'll give their other matchday income a boost, and it should also help them attract more (paying) players to their underage set up.

Good stuff all-in-all.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Cabinteely aren't exactly inner-city.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Cabinteely aren't exactly inner-city.
    Quite the opposite. Of all the Dublin clubs, they're probably the furthest from the city centre. It wasn't so long ago that Cabinteely was considered a rural village in south county Dublin, before they were engulfed by the urban sprawl.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Shelbourne give free season tickets to all their young players - both male and female.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...-to-the-clubs/

Graham Gartland seems to be doing some v good community outreach work as Rovers community officer.

It's a shame that this stuff hasn't been going on constantly, year in year out, for every club for the past 20/30 years. I genuinely think this is the area where LOI clubs fall down the most - community outreach in primary schools. If LOI clubs are not visiting every primary school in their locality (and ideally beyond) for a few weeks every single year they're missing a massive trick. With something like this it's hard to see immediate ROI but it's the best way to build a loyal long-term fan base.

From small acorns big oak trees grow. Start small & work upwards. Start with the kids in primary schools & try to keep them. Make it fun. Support the teachers with equipment & training. Make it fun. Keep them on board, in whatever capacity you can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    A few clubs are doing that already though.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Limerick's community work over the last five or so years has been quite extensive (unless it's stopped over the past 12 months when I wasn't looking). I recall they were even sponsoring a prison program at some point, don't know if they still are.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    A few clubs are doing that already though.
    I'm sure some clubs do great work in schools (Sligo and Dundalk in particular seem to have established excellent links in their locality), but I'd be surprised if every club is doing as much work as Rovers, and reinforcing that year in year out with annual visits.

Thinking back to when i was at primary in school in Meath in the nineties, when we won a Sam Maguire, the cup would be brought to every primary school in the county, without fail within 2-3 months of the final being won, and always accompanied by 2-3 players. And it wasn't just the footballers, i remember numerous years when Meath hurlers would visit the school for a few days and do some basic hurling drills with is. I kid you not, hurling in Meath!!!

I wouldn't particularly expect any LOI clubs to visit schools in Meath, but I've quite a lot of friends who are primary teachers in Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford and i've never heard of a LOI club visiting any of them, but i know for a fact county GAA players do visit each year. And it's fantastic promotion, it's all the kids talk about for the week. Even the teachers are banging on about it for days to anyone who'll listen. The GAA obviously have a huge advantage here in terms of funding etc, and the FAI cutting the funding for community officers a few yrs ago didn't help, but it always seems that many LOI clubs don't prioritize this as much as they should. Surely there can be no better way of recruiting young lifelong fans. Most kids who have an interest in soccer pick a team before they reach their teenage years so it's essential to get as involved as possible in primary schools.

I wonder if our fully professional clubs, Like Rovers, Dundalk, Cork etc have anything written into player contracts to stipulate they must do a certain amount of community promotion each year?? Seems like a no brainer. If you're paying professional players they should be doing promotion for the club with school visits etc.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Parochialism would become a problem there though, in terms of counties that have no LOI team. Have a feeling Meath schools wouldn't be all that up for reps from Bohs or Drogheda for example.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Limerick's community work over the last five or so years has been quite extensive (unless it's stopped over the past 12 months when I wasn't looking). I recall they were even sponsoring a prison program at some point, don't know if they still are.
    A great way to connect with lapsed fans and former players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Just because you don't hear of it happening, doesn't mean it isn't happening. I'd say Harps do more work in the community than Shamrock Rovers. You hear about it more in Dublin though because of where it is, and because it's condensed into a smaller area.

I've seen a great deal of stuff over the past year or two online from Galway United, and in particular, this off season. Sligo, as mentioned, have one of the best community backing of any club in the league and it shows when it comes down to fundraising.

Harps take in county-wide measures with the dedicated Schools Programme, which visits every primary school in the county every year, also takes in the Eat Right Play Right programme, the Road Safety Campaign, Fran Fields Schools Cup, and a couple of other things through the year that's slipped my mind.

There's other initiatives at other clubs too. There is, for certain, some clubs who do little to nothing in the community, but as I said, just because you don't read about it in the national newspapers, doesn't mean it's not happening.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    In my own humble opinion the league is missing a trick by not kicking off on the weekend between rounds 2 and 3 of the 6 Nations. After a busy sporting weekend last weekend, next weekend doesn't have too much sporting activity.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    In my own humble opinion the league is missing a trick by not kicking off on the weekend between rounds 2 and 3 of the 6 Nations. After a busy sporting weekend last weekend, next weekend doesn't have too much sporting activity.
    They definitely are. You'll get the people hungry for more sport this week looking for anything to be on and the people who dont really watch rugby scanning the tv guide to see when the match is so having a LOI game in those slots would be perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    OK, we are 3 days away from the new season beginning, a good time to help educate non LOI football fans about the new season even if they are not interested but lets say a certain percentage of them try and make the effort to get some information about the league and clubs etc. You would think that they would gravitate towards the league's official site first, as of now is going under a makeover, which for me is a terrible decision. That should have been done weeks ago, it makes no sense whatsoever to go offline with days to go until the new season, when traffic is bound to be higher than normal. They still could have kept the old site up and running until the new layout is complete. Just boggles the mind.

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast