Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling anyone that edits on wikipedia or who has good sources of information!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Calling anyone that edits on wikipedia or who has good sources of information!

Guys there is a bit of a ding dong battle going on over at wikipedia with regards the general notability of Irish players and more specifically players who participate in the FAI League of Ireland.

Basically players are automatically notable if they play in a professional league. At the moment the "heads" over at the football project on wikipedia do not consider players in the Irish league notable and have been trying to get their articles deleted. Recent articles which have been up for deletion are those for -

Seamus Coleman - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...A9amus_Coleman

Tony Moore (Bohs player from the 20's and 30's) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ish_footballer)

And Shamrock Rovers player Danny O'Connor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...or_(footballer)

However, it is relatively easy to defend players notability if they have played more recently because there will be plenty of stuff on the internet. However, it gets a lot more difficult to source information to prove players notability if they played pre circa 1995. Hence the reason I am here.

at the moment there is a discussion regarding mass deletion of LoI players including

Former Sligo Rovers, Bohs and Harps player - Liam Patton

Former Athlone, Monaghan and Bohs player - Alan Kinsella

Former Sligo Rovers and Bohs - Andy Brady

Former Longford Town players - Paul McNally

Former Limerick and Bohs players Marcus Tuite

and former Drogheda United, Bohemian F.C., Monaghan United F.C. and Bray Wanderers A.F.C

Here is the link to the discussion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...on/Liam_Patton

What I am looking for is people with information on the players or someone who knows about the players and can add to the articles to improve them.

Feel free to register an account and leave your own opinion whether that agrees with mine or not that doesnt really matter - the more input the better.

Thanks for your time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Yeah it's getting quite annoying alright. It's hard to argue with them though as their criteria for notability involves having played in a fully professional league.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yet there is articles on English players back in the 20s and 30s even though it wasn't fully pro back then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Infadel View Post
    Yet there is articles on English players back in the 20s and 30s even though it wasn't fully pro back then.
    If I was you I would register an account on wikipedia - its free and only takes second - and voice that opinion.

I cant stress this enough - we need bodies over there to improve Irish football articles. It costs nothing and only takes seconds to register an account and get started.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligobhoy67 View Post
    And Shamrock Rovers player Danny O'Connor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...or_(footballer)
    AFAIK Danny O Connor is no longer involved in the League of Ireland.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    AFAIK Danny O Connor is no longer involved in the League of Ireland.
    he doesnt need to be. Ian Rush no longer plays for Liverpool but he is still a notable Liverpool player - if you get my meaning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Sorry I'm with you now

I'll sign up and try and help.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    Sorry I'm with you now

I'll sign up and try and help.
    well I am not trying to canvas votes either way per se, Although if you have an opinion please feel free to share it.

What I am trying to do is to get people to register at wikipedia and to improve the articles, add sources of information and generally get active in wikipedia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligobhoy67 View Post
    well I am not trying to canvas votes either way per se, Although if you have an opinion please feel free to share it.

What I am trying to do is to get people to register at wikipedia and to improve the articles, add sources of information and generally get active in wikipedia.

Apparently a page for Rafael Cretaro keeps getting deleted because hes never played in a fully professional team, yet alot of players havent even played in a fully professional league and have pages for them.
    Coleman for Ireland

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Added a page for Craid Duggan for City-will add pages for Pat Sul and Timmy Kiely soon. Need to get DOB, apperances and former club info though. Anyone any help on Pat Sul's former club info and the timeline for them?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph McSweene View Post
    Added a page for Craid Duggan for City-will add pages for Pat Sul and Timmy Kiely soon. Need to get DOB, apperances and former club info though. Anyone any help on Pat Sul's former club info and the timeline for them?
    I know Pat Sul spent a full season with us before he came to ye. He was at Drogheda Utd for two seasons previously but couldnt play enough games due to injury. he started his career at ucd not sure how long he was at college !
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I'm getting mightily sick of the Wikipedia deletion wars. It's rid me of any urge to contribute to the damned thing. It's chipped away at the genuinely encyclopaedic nature of the site and at the community spirit which built it.

The code to make a wiki is open source. The material on the site is copyleft. Would anyone be able to set up an LoI specific one up so we could port the league material from wikipedia to somewhere we can trust to understand the value of the project? Dahamsta seems a logical candidate, but we can't presume.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I know Pat Sul spent a full season with us before he came to ye. He was at Drogheda Utd for two seasons previously but couldnt play enough games due to injury. he started his career at ucd not sure how long he was at college !
    95 games, 4 goals. Played right back mainly, sometimes right mid, and at least once in centre mid. I can't remember the seasons, but he was around for our second most recent relegation, though I think he may have left that season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I'm getting mightily sick of the Wikipedia deletion wars. It's rid me of any urge to contribute to the damned thing. It's chipped away at the genuinely encyclopaedic nature of the site and at the community spirit which built it.

The code to make a wiki is open source. The material on the site is copyleft. Would anyone be able to set up an LoI specific one up so we could port the league material from wikipedia to somewhere we can trust to understand the value of the project? Dahamsta seems a logical candidate, but we can't presume.

Good idea. But it looks like it'd have to be done fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    Yeah it's getting quite annoying alright. It's hard to argue with them though as their criteria for notability involves having played in a fully professional league.
    But thats just not true - they keep shoving that down your throat but the wording of the guideline is LEVEL, no mention of entire league. Besides it's not even a rule, it's a wikipedia guideline, which the documentation on the wiki says is open to exceptions.

There is two ways to beat them.

1. Jam-pack your articles with lots of sources and references to news, articles, profiles on the player, this will prove general notability, which overrides athletic notability.
    2. Continue to point out that WP:ATH say "professional level" there is no mention that the entire League has to be fully professional, which is nonsense and completely un-workable as teams move up and down and go in and out of professionalism.

They keep deleting my articles too, even deleted hattrick hero Dean Barrett

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    95 games, 4 goals. Played right back mainly, sometimes right mid, and at least once in centre mid. I can't remember the seasons, but he was around for our second most recent relegation, though I think he may have left that season.
    2001-2004, if memory serves. Scored the goal in Cobh which sealed promotion.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    2001-2004, if memory serves. Scored the goal in Cobh which sealed promotion.
    Thanks very much Stu-much appreciated!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Check out STIGonline.com for more exact details, by the way. In the UCD tab, there's line-ups (in Excel format) for most of our games from 2001 to 2007, and a fair few other games going back to 1979 as well.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Has anybody thought about asking Gareth on extratime.ie to create interviews and articles on players up for deletion as sources? I'm sure if people have the time (& contact details for the players!) he'd consider it. It would be a way of breaking this deletion arguement, they're using the often tight-nit community of wiki-editors, so why don't we use the even tighter group of Irish football online media?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi all,

If anyone is trying to prevent the deletion of a League Of Ireland player on wikipedia-could they add the player name to this page so we can build up a list of players?

Cheers,
    Joseph.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast